Thread: Deluxe Tele nut replacement?

Forum Member

Deluxe Tele nut replacement?

Hi all! As a newbie let me say I'm excited to meet you Fender people :)

After almost 20yrs of playing different kinds of superstrats I recently felt increasingly attracted to exploring the Tele world and so I am...

One of the two guitars I decided to acquire was the American Deluxe Ash Telecaster. Beautiful instrument, awesome bridge, good playability, very nice kind of midrange-y full almost aggressive tone... I am just a little under-impressed by the nut and tuning issues associated with it. I do a lot of string bending and this nut does not provide the tuning stability I was imagining looking at its price tag.

Anyway, nothing new.
    Now, I am hesitant to go with the roller nut (which I have on my Strat and I'm very pleased) as it would take making a permanent mod to this expensive instrument and not all people will necessarily like it if I ever want to sell it.
    So I'm wondering if anyone know what the stock nut material is (it looks plastic) and if making a new one from the Fender bone nut blank material would be an improvement or if I end up having the same issues and may as well get a roller straight away and get down to the sweating job of "will the lacquer chip or not" roller nut replacement?

Thanks a lot!

Forum Member

Re: Deluxe Tele nut replacement?

Maybe you need the existing nut dressed up a bit. Consider taking it to a good luthier 1st, if you don't know how to DIY.

yep, have it "cleaned up" and maybe lubed. should only take about 15 minutes? way better than intensive surgery.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

OK, I'll do my best job of what I imagine "dressing up" means and let you guys know. Thanks!

Forum Member

I agree with Chuckocaster and Old Blue. Try and work with the LSR nut you already have on the Tele. It is major surgery otherwise, and I don't think aesthetically you would like the results. Just MHO ... I prefer the old bone nuts better.

Forum Member

Thanks everyone for advice!
    I cleaned and lubed the stock nut and tuning did improve a good deal. I'm not there yet though as particularly the B and E strings still occasionally go off a bit. Even though I use 10s, I was wondering if my slots are maybe a little narrow so I ordered a set of nut files 'cos I thought it's a nice thing to have and I can use it for my other guitars too.
    By the way, I used mineral oil I normally use to lube my bike chain, is that about what you guys use or am I crazy?
    Thanks

You don't want to use mineral oil. It is parrafin-based and will collect crap and bind after a while. What most of us do is just use graphite from a pencil.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Remove the string tree and see if the E & B issues disappear. If so, it's the culprit (misaligment).

Forum Member

Thanks to all of you guys. Cleaning up and a bit of pencil graphite seems to have done the trick. I put some on the tree where it touches strings too (or at least I hope so as most of it obviously ended up on the headstock). It will take some time for me to get a really good confidence but as for now I can say it's growing!