Thread: Pick Attack

Pick Attack

I sort of had an epiphany today...

For many years I've played with a pretty heavy pick attack to the strings and was starting to get into a real rut. I reached a point where I realized that I wasn't getting any better. So, I tried something a little different today. I eased up quite a bit on my pick attack and very quickly my playing became much smoother, more articulate, and more dynamic . It dawned on me that playing with "gusto" and feeling doesn't necessarily mean "standing on the pick with both feet" when hitting the strings*.

I've also made a conscious effort to play tighter (keeping my fingers closer to the strings while executing a run or a scale). I got this from watching an old CREAM video where Clapton is demonstrating some of his technique to his interviewer.

'Just curious... has anyone else had a similar experience?

*This was a leftover from a friend that I played in a band with many years ago. To him, pounding the strings to death = feeling + virtuosity.
    ~Yardbird~

"03" Les Paul Standard (Ebony finish)
    "04" Les Paul 1959 Reissue (DarkBurst)
    "04" FENDER Standard Stratocaster (Sage Green) Rosewood fretboard - 2004 model

2011 FENDER Deluxe Reverb RI
    2012 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50
    2013 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50 plus head with 2 23" 1 X 12 MESA LoneStar cabs

Re: Pick Attack

I've learned that pick attack really amounts considerably to not only tone but also versatility. It's almost the same as playing only songs in I, IV, V or only using the same scale pattern for every song. You have to mix things up, and often, to get the most out of your instrument. If the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, every problem starts looking like a nail.

A couple years ago I started using one of the more rounded corners of the pick instead of the pointy one. It's made a very big improvement for me in terms of tone and control.
    s'all goof.

Forum Member

Yep - keep loose. Loose = fast. Light touch. You don't need to strangle the neck or push the strings into the fretboard.

I do the same thing - I tense up, my shoulders, my elbow, my wrist. You have to conciously force yourself to practice loose. Eventually it will become natural.

A few years ago I started listening to the old Les Paul & Mary Ford stuff on a 2-album-on-1-CD thing. We read a lot about his recording innovations, but really listening to him, it dawned on me how much really cool stuff about his playing came from his attack- light, heavy, changes in picking location...
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Heavy pick attack is usually linked with Death Gripping...one has it's uses while the other is simply poor technique.
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

YardbirdMac.. I think I have the same old Cream tape, and have watched it many times. I too, use the more rounded edge of the pick and vary from a heavy angled attach to a very light brush depending on what I want to reveil through the guitar. The more attention I pay to the feel of strings under the pick, the more feeling I get in responce. It has served me well through continually keeping the pick attack in the forefront. It becomes more natural as time goes on.

Brad

I keep my right hand very close to the strings---this helps in muting unwanted string noise too.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Want better controll with a pic? use a light one..

If you want to take it to the next level, lose the pick altogether.

For some years now I have used a variation of fingers only, pick only and hybrid fingers / pick.

I tend to play harder on strats and teles than on other instruments. Not one dimensional harder, but a greater dynamic range. Strats and teles especially can get some really cool sounds when you really snap on them.

That sort of technique just doesn't work on a Les Paul, for instance.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Back in the 70's, I studied with a student of Bary Galbraith in NYC and we spent what seems like months on articulation...there are all sorts of possibilities for musical ideas in the right hand. Listen to violin, koto, zither, etc for some ideas...

I always thought it would be interesteing to do a piece done with the Koto, the Sitar and an acoustic guitar along with various Japanese and Indian drums. It would be cool, to do a mixed medley of the three cultures musical styles including Japanese, Indian, and a sort of American rock profiling each instument on each style.

Brad

i played with the pointy end for about 2 years, prior to that it was a weird fauxpick thing i did with my thumb and first finger. after all that i went and flipped the pick around and used the rounded corner, then when that wore out i used the other one. it seems like i can "choke up" on the pick more, and then back off if i need to. all this on top of if i pick into or down onto the strings. then you have the whole "bridge to neck" positioning.

all that to say, technique is what you make it. sometimes you have to travel down some VERY long roads to get to your goal, but it's worth it.

side note: i've gone to lighter picks all the way around. it's been working out real well for me.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

I tend to play alot harder when Im drunk. Then when I drop the pick I use my fingers and everything changes. Pick the pick back and I end up using the pick and fingers together....this way there is more variety.
    P e a c e KYC

Strat or Tele out of a 5E3 .

I use a medium heavy pick, i.e., fairly rigid but with some flexibility. For electric playing, I turn up the amp slightly more than I need and use a medium light touch. Digging in too heavily really reduces the speed at which you can play, although it does give a different and often desirable tone. When I want to bark a little, I can dig in with the pick and the right amplier will respond accordingly.

The mistake that a lot of players make is thinking that playing really hard all the time translates into an aggressive bluesy tone. In my opinion, this doesn't allow the amp to do its work.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."