Thread: Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm

Well... I've almost completed all of my modifications to my "03" MIM Strat. I still haven't made up my mind if I want to change the nut to an LSR roller nut (I would have a professional install it) or a Graphtech nut like I have on my G & L Commanche.

In the meantime, I'm trying out different tremolo arms. I have the Callaham tremolo block with the press in arm hole. I've found that I actually like the standard FENDER MIM Strat handle better than the Callaham handle. The FENDER handle is much longer and I seem to get better leverage and control with the FENDER handle (it also seems more stable when threaded in).

Just for curiosity sake, what is your handle preference... ultra short (Gilmour), medium, or MIM Standard length?
    ~Yardbird~

"03" Les Paul Standard (Ebony finish)
    "04" Les Paul 1959 Reissue (DarkBurst)
    "04" FENDER Standard Stratocaster (Sage Green) Rosewood fretboard - 2004 model

2011 FENDER Deluxe Reverb RI
    2012 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50
    2013 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50 plus head with 2 23" 1 X 12 MESA LoneStar cabs

Re: Tremolo Arm

I was ok with the Fender arm until, like a bozo, I stripped the block. I got a Wilkinson with a pop in arm that I like a LOT more. Screwing in the other was a pain, especially with the jack cord in the way all the time. As for length, I do like it just a little longer.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Callaham Arm is to short for me and I hate it. Have the Callaham Block and arm on my MIM Strat and a regular arm just won't do in that Block.

I'm fine with the regular Callaham arm though I'd prefer the longer one.

doesn't callaham offer different length arms?
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Three lengths for $15 each. His minimum order is $25.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Fene View Post
    That is a seriously low-rent website there. It's like looking at 1998 or something.
    s'all goof.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka View Post
    That is a seriously low-rent website there. It's like looking at 1998 or something.
    Web TV!
    Edit- Ive done some research into the availability of aftermarket MIM Tremolo arms. Quite sadly, and much to my dismay, even though I am not a huge MIM guy (I do like to fool around with them on a parts assembley basis, and if I can score a great deal on one) there are simply ZERO MIM Stainless Steel Tremolo Arms available (6MM thread ). Callaham has his "pop in" wh9ich fit his Steel blocks only....which I've never been a major fan of those Callaham pop in arms, since i like the screw in arms and the old technology as I believe it really gives some of that vintage tone and feel ; I mean, they arent bad, but I prefer the classic screw in.
    Anyway..I digress; there are no high quality stainless steel tremolo arms which fit the MIM standard blocks or the good reproduction steel blocks like Guitar Fetish makes. I will say I have not researched the line of Titanium products yet, but they are very expensive, to be sure.
    I do not like this lack of availibilty of 6mm Stainless tremolo arms because i despise the angle of the tremolos , and always need to bend mine in shape . Now with the classic American/Vintage aftermarket Stainless Steel arms which fot the Classic American Std/Vintage Std. Fender blocks, which you can find from a few sources , you can do this bending be cause its stainless steel and will bend without chipping or flakeing . One cannot do this with the non stainless cheap chrome plated MIM arms, as they will chip that crummy chrome plate off the arm and be rendered utterly useless. Hope you get my drift....useless.
    Yeah, I used to be a MIM hater elitist, but I've come down off my high horse to realise theres alot of good in that line of Mexican made Fenders..
    Last edited by jerryjg; 07-15-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Hank Marvin lives near my work, see him walking his dog some nights.
    Not sure but I think his dog has a standard strat trem arm fitted but it does some serious howling

Forum Member

I'm sure a S/S trem arm could be fabricated. I'm sure I could do it so others could too. I don't have a strat or anything to work from to make a new one but if I had a similar arm and a sketch of what needed to change (lengths/angles, etc), I'd give it a shot. I'm not sure how the plastic end is attached or if it can be removed. One could be made out of S/S instead of plastic.

Who knows, it might lead to a business doing custom trem arms.....Bill

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamrose View Post
    I'm sure a S/S trem arm could be fabricated. I'm sure I could do it so others could too. I don't have a strat or anything to work from to make a new one but if I had a similar arm and a sketch of what needed to change (lengths/angles, etc), I'd give it a shot. I'm not sure how the plastic end is attached or if it can be removed. One could be made out of S/S instead of plastic.

Who knows, it might lead to a business doing custom trem arms.....Bill
    You should do it!
    I'd be a happy first customer for you.I would just go ahead and get a regular 6MM tremolo arm .Guitar fetish has the steel MIM
    blocks and the cheap arms for about 40 bucks shipped, or just the arms for about 5 bucks plus shipping.You can find the 6mm cheap MIM arms all the time on Ebay also.
    The plastic end attaches in the traditional way by screw method, or most recently with the cheap repro arms, by just pushing and twisting down over a ridged raised area at the tip.
    There are no S/S tips, either, for the MIM Strats, so thats also a great idea !
    There are Stainless tips and arms tips available for standard 10/32 American/vintage Strats. One place for the 10/32's S/S Trem arm/tip is "FretsontheNet".

Forum Member

In my pile I found an arm I bought years ago on eBay. It was the wrong arm (I wanted a Mustang arm). It's a 10-32 arm, el cheapo. I'd have to get a 6mm arm and see what material I'd need to fabricate one from S/S.

Is this what you're talking about?
    I can get these down the street at WD.

What would you change from a standard arm? Longer/shorter, different angles on one or both bends? Let me know what you want. If I do make one I'll make as you would want it......Bill

Oh, BTW; I have this other project I'm spending time on but I'll see about making time for this.
    Last edited by cwilliamrose; 07-16-2009 at 04:51 PM.

I ordered the arm for the MIM Strat... If I actually got the correct arm, It's NOT the one I'm thinking of. The arm I bought a couple years ago (Not an aftermarket product, it said FENDER on the package) is actually about 1/2" - 3/4" longer than the MIM arm. Since I no longer have the package, I don't know which guitar this arm is actually made for. The threads on the block end actually fit BETTER than those on the Callaham arm!

Can someone help me figure out which arm I'm looking for?
    ~Yardbird~

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamrose View Post
    In my pile I found an arm I bought years ago on eBay. It was the wrong arm (I wanted a Mustang arm). It's a 10-32 arm, el cheapo. I'd have to get a 6mm arm and see what material I'd need to fabricate one from S/S.

Is this what you're talking about?
    I can get these down the street at WD.

What would you change from a standard arm? Longer/shorter, different angles on one or both bends? Let me know what you want. If I do make one I'll make as you would want it......Bill

Oh, BTW; I have this other project I'm spending time on but I'll see about making time for this.
    Well, the arm you posted a link to is a pop in type proprietary arm to the Callaham Solid State Trmolo arm. WE need a regular ol cheap. PM me your addy and I'll send one out to you; a cheap 6MM arm that has screw threads for a MIM Fneder block or a aftermarket steel MIM replacement block.
    Also, if you dont intend to patent and market it 'twould be a pity, cause theres no sense really in tooling one up just for my one or two MIM Strats. For the most part I like the Standard spaceing of the American Tremolo (7/32's I think) better, and just dablle around with the quacky MIM Strat.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yardbird Mac View Post
    I ordered the arm for the MIM Strat... If I actually got the correct arm, It's NOT the one I'm thinking of. The arm I bought a couple years ago (Not an aftermarket product, it said FENDER on the package) is actually about 1/2" - 3/4" longer than the MIM arm. Since I no longer have the package, I don't know which guitar this arm is actually made for. The threads on the block end actually fit BETTER than those on the Callaham arm!

Can someone help me figure out which arm I'm looking for?
    Hmm, thats perplexing. I think you must have one of the older Callaham blocks that had threads. Otherwise your Standard Fender arm wouldn't fit in the new pop in Steel Callaham blocks that have the bushing inside I do not think, however I am not certain, maybe the Fender arm *can be threaded into that bushing.
    I like a standard stock length arm, But I totally hate the angle of it, both coming out the threads and where it angels up 2/3's of the way towards the tip of the arm. I like the arm to be horizontal with the body, and about way less high than a stock arm. I also prefer no abrupt angles to the arm like the current arms have in there 2/3rds of the way towards the tip- I like the arm to be just almost straight. That angle, plus the upward turn there at the same spot , I just cannot stand! You used to be able to bend them Trem arms , but when the pot metal got cheap with the cheap plating, you may still be able to bend them to shape, but the chrome will flake off leaving the arm unusable.Thats why I'd love to have a good quality S/S Trem arm.
    One Joker on Ebay is/was selling a S/S 5MM arm. He just had one. Wowo, thats close, but it won't fit MIM's, I think it was for some imports from overseas.
    Last edited by jerryjg; 07-17-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jerryjg View Post
    PM me your addy and I'll send one out to you;
    You have mail.

Hmm, thats perplexing. I think you must have one of the older Callaham blocks that had threads. Otherwise your Standard Fender arm wouldn't fit in the new pop in Steel Callaham blocks that have the bushing inside I do not think, however I am not certain, maybe the Fender arm *can be threaded into that bushing.
    I like a standard stock length arm, But I totally hate the angle of it, both coming out the threads and where it angels up 2/3's of the way towards the tip of the arm. I like the arm to be horizontal with the body, and about way less high than a stock arm. I also prefer no abrupt angles to the arm like the current arms have in there 2/3rds of the way towards the tip- I like the arm to be just almost straight. That angle, plus the upward turn there at the same spot , I just cannot stand! You used to be able to bend them Trem arms , but when the pot metal got cheap with the cheap plating, you may still be able to bend them to shape, but the chrome will flake off leaving the arm unusable.Thats why I'd love to have a good quality S/S Trem arm.
    One Joker on Ebay is/was selling a S/S 5MM arm. He just had one. Wowo, thats close, but it won't fit MIM's, I think it was for some imports from overseas.

I have two different lengths of Callaham arms and a FENDER arm that fit the Callaham block. The upper part of the Callaham block has an insert (bushing). Once these arms are "pressed in", I can then "thread" them the rest of the way down. The longer FENDER arm actually fits better (a little tighter - no "slop") and gives better leverage. I'm thinking that the item listed below IS the FENDER arm I'm using (and looking for another one... just in case I lose that one).

http://www.jklutherie.com/fenderstra...stylparts.aspx

My G & L Comanche has a press in arm that only has one bend in it and I love it! It's not threaded, but held in place with a set screw. There is a small nylon insert at the end of the set screw that makes the actual contact with the tremolo arm. This allows me to "dial in" however much tension I want on the arm without scoring it.

~Yardbird~

Forum Member

I make my own tremolo arms from 1/4" stainless steel rod. More substantial, feel better and look good. Not complicated and doesn't take long once you have done a few.

Forum Member

I made a mistake. The 10/32 (5mm) is for the American Strat. The other size is for the Made in Mexico blocks ( excep for a few models which use standard American sizes) and imports ( 6mm).
    You CAN buy the stainless 10/32(5MM) arms several places. I don't know if Callaham still makes the threaded 10/32 American Standard arms , but they do make a proprietary pop in arm for their stainless steel block. Frets on the net makes a stainless arm and tip for 25.oo. Feels like it bends too easily to me though.
    They are also available from a seller on Ebay for around 16 dollars.
    AFAIK, there are no 6MM import stainless steel Made in Mexico tremolo arms available.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scotstrat View Post
    I make my own tremolo arms from 1/4" stainless steel rod. More substantial, feel better and look good. Not complicated and doesn't take long once you have done a few.
    Sounds like a great idea.Do you have to use heat to bend the arms? You just tap and die the threads, if thats the proper term?

Forum Member

Sounds like a great idea.Do you have to use heat to bend the arms? You just tap and die the threads, if thats the proper term?
    Apologies for the delay in getting back to you . . . forgot my password . . . DOH!!

It's quite straightforward. What you need is, the 1/4" diameter ss rod (I got it from a live steam modellers supply place), vice, blowtorch, 1/4" tap & die, a 13/64" drill bit for opening up the hole in the block, tape and a metal tube that will fit over the rod, I use a 12" length of 15mm copper water pipe.

Using the original trem arm as a pattern cut the rod to length. Round the ends off, I clamp a drill in a vice and stick the rod in the chuck, DIY lathe! In all cases where you are going to clamp the rod, either in the drill chuck or vice, protect the rod with tape or it will mark.

Using the original arm as a guide for the bends clamp the rod in a vice below where you want the bend remembering to protect it with tape. Heat the rod until dark cherry red, doesn't have to be glowing! Slip the metal tube over the rod down to the point where the bend is going to be, using the tube as leverage (and to stop you burning yourself!) bend the rod to the desired angle. Same proceedure with the second bend. The heating will discolour the rod but that polishes out.

Open the hole in the block up with the drill bit then tap a new thread, cut the thread on the rod. Done!

After tidying up and polishing you should end up with something like this:

The best thing is you can make the arm as you want it, shorter, longer, change the angles of the bends, what ever.
    Last edited by scotstrat; 08-25-2009 at 04:05 AM.

Forum Member

Whoa, there. You can't use a 1/4 in. drill bit to drill out a hole that you are going to tap for 1/4 in. threads. It must be a smaller size, and that determined by the type of material to be threaded. A 1/4 in. bit will drill a CLEARANCE hole for a 1/4 in. bolt (i.e. it will slide right through the hole). Check a tap chart to see what size bit to use for the pilot hole for whatever size tap you will be using, and the type of material you are drilling/tapping. Also, when tapping, you must not go more than a revolution or two without backing the tap up to let the chips clear. Otherwise they will collect in the threads being cut and strip them out as you go deeper. A good cutting oil is also essential to cutting clean, strong threads.

JHW

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHW View Post
    Whoa, there. You can't use a 1/4 in. drill bit to drill out a hole that you are going to tap for 1/4 in. threads. JHW
    Apologies, forgot it's actually a 13/64" drill bit intended for a hole with a 1/4" thread. If I remember correctly it all came as a set with the tap/die, got them from an engineering supply place. Sorry but can't remember the name of the place, was a while ago.

I've amended the original post so as not to mislead anyone.

Do you re-temper the rod after bending it?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Do you re-temper the rod after bending it?
    I don't think there's any need to, not heating it that much. I said dark cherry red but you don't even need to heat it that much, just enough to make it easier to bend. You'll know if it isn't hot enough, it will break when you try to bend it! Had that once, doing it outside in a high wind, should have known better!

The Callaham block and base plate was a great investment. Lets face it guys, Fender trem systems are crap. Anything more then a slight warble and shes toast.

Quote Originally Posted by deepblue1963 View Post
    The Callaham block and base plate was a great investment. Lets face it guys, Fender trem systems are crap. Anything more then a slight warble and shes toast.
    Gee, I've been using them for decades and never had a problem... I play in a surf band and use those babies quite a bit.

The Calaham is the same design as Fender's so I don't see why it would function any better.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

I'd like to get hold of one of the one piece cast bridges (part no 010347), saw one a while ago in a beautiful '78 maple necked natural. I've heard they have great sustain and tone but trouble is they did wear and the vast majority were replaced with a standard two piece bridge. As a result there are now very few of them around and rarely appear on the market.
    Last edited by scotstrat; 08-25-2009 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scotstrat View Post
    I don't think there's any need to, not heating it that much. I said dark cherry red but you don't even need to heat it that much, just enough to make it easier to bend. You'll know if it isn't hot enough, it will break when you try to bend it! Had that once, doing it outside in a high wind, should have known better!
    If it gets hot enough to change color it's lost its temper. And had grain growth too. Once that happens it gets a lot weaker. I would aay it needs to be heated, quenched and retempered.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Gee, I've been using them for decades and never had a problem... I play in a surf band and use those babies quite a bit.

The Calaham is the same design as Fender's so I don't see why it would function any better.
    Its not the same design. Callaham uses stainless steel... and the arm fits snug with no annoying liitle black springs to get lost.
    I too have been playing Strats since the late 70's and I havent played one yet that didnt have too much play in the tremolo.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by deepblue1963 View Post
    Its not the same design. Callaham uses stainless steel... and the arm fits snug with no annoying liitle black springs to get lost.
    I too have been playing Strats since the late 70's and I havent played one yet that didnt have too much play in the tremolo.
    I don't particularly like the rubber gromet inside the Callaham.
    I prefer metal to metal contact and even get like to get some raspy metallic sounds for scraping the threads on a regular vintage block with the loose tolerance arm. That said, the new pot metal arms are crap. Get a stainless arm, or make your own.