Thread: Not doin' to good.

Not doin' to good.

Well my cat hasn';t been going to the bathroom so we took her to the Vet. they gave us some laxatives and they still didn't work to well, after a better exam the doc told us that she is in the begining stages of Colon Cancer. Now I love this cat, and she loves me, Literally. She follows me everywhere, meows when I leave the house etc etc. I've never had a relationship with any animal like I have with Lacey. She is 17 years old and ever since me and my girlfriend moved in she has taken a serious liking to me and become more spry and energetic.

Now we don't have the funds do do surgery, radiation etc etc so tomorrow we will be taking her to the vet and she will be put down. This was so hard for me to contemplate. I'm pretty shook up about it. Think Kirk Losing spock in Star Trek II. So I brought her back home today just to spend one more day with her and let her enjoy the house which she helped make just as much as Valerie and I.

Here is my cat Lacey.

and here she is with me taking a nap on the couch.

People might say "oh it's just a cat" or "Oh its just a dog" but I dunno, to me its more than that. Sorry for rambling guys. Thanks for listening.
    -Ian
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Re: Not doin' to good.

17 years... that's a good run. Sad as hell to put her down anyway.

Been there.

Man, I had a cat that I used to give sub cutaneous fluids to every day til he died.

Forum Member

I'm so sorry, man. I know how hard this is.

I lost an 11-year-old cat several years ago, the one constant in my life from college through my first three jobs in three different cities. I was a wreck for days. These little critters get under our skin and into our hearts, and losing one is like losing a best friend.

I have been in the exact spot your in. I feel bad a year later.

Been there too. It hurts.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I had my Fritz for almost 19 years. best friend I ever had. I know the feeling. Hang in there.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

My thoughts are with you, I can empathize with you too. They are like family.
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Thinking about you and Lacey. We put our Coco down after 17 years and now have 3 cats and a dog over 11 yrs old.It was time for her but hard. There like a child in a way. After many years we often think fondly of her , as you will too. They know when its time and feels your concern for her. She knows she's loved.

Cat loving mojo to my friend.
    Tasha the matriarch Siamese left us for a better place after putting up with us for 20 years.
    (Speaking as she thought, we were graced by her presence).

Then her little boyfriend, Tigger (my cat) passed away just a few months later.
    Tasha had seen some cats come and go through our house, and only Tigger captured her affection.
    He even adopted some her habits after she passed away.
    Kitchen Kop...lending critique while the food was cooking, then walking off in a huff whenever it was served!

Letting Tasha go was one thing...20 years.
    But seeing Tigger pass was an absolute heartbreaker he was only 6 yrs. old.
    Died of a cancerous tumor.
    But my wife and I know the real story.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonefreefuzz1 View Post
    Well my cat hasn';t been going to the bathroom so we took her to the Vet. they gave us some laxatives and they still didn't work to well, after a better exam the doc told us that she is in the begining stages of Colon Cancer. Now I love this cat, and she loves me, Literally. She follows me everywhere, meows when I leave the house etc etc. I've never had a relationship with any animal like I have with Lacey. She is 17 years old and ever since me and my girlfriend moved in she has taken a serious liking to me and become more spry and energetic.

Now we don't have the funds do do surgery, radiation etc etc so tomorrow we will be taking her to the vet and she will be put down. This was so hard for me to contemplate. I'm pretty shook up about it. Think Kirk Losing spock in Star Trek II. So I brought her back home today just to spend one more day with her and let her enjoy the house which she helped make just as much as Valerie and I.

Here is my cat Lacey.

and here she is with me taking a nap on the couch.

People might say "oh it's just a cat" or "Oh its just a dog" but I dunno, to me its more than that. Sorry for rambling guys. Thanks for listening.
    -Ian

I am happy for you that you got to spend 17 years with a great friend and member of the family like Lacey. Those who are not pet lovers sometimes do not understand the pain involved with the humanitarian ending a good friend's life, but I've been there and know how hard it is. It sounds rather hollow, but with time the pain eases.

I read these and dread the day that Duchess passes (the avatar).
    It's part of the blessing, it is what we have to pay...in the pain.

We can only relate by passing on the experiences each of us have.

I never bought the whole "dog person/cat person" stuff.
    Either a person can communicate, or they can't.
    I'm an old fisher/hunter...and still have zero trust for anyone that can't love a "pet".

Never apologize for it-we know.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

It's heart-breaking, Ian. We're here for you and we all know what you're going through.

Hang in there, my friend.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

keep your head up, it's gonna be real tough. but most of all, remember the good times.

best wishes compadre!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Stonefree -

Man......

My best thoughts to you man. Its one of the hardest things.......

I'm really sorry, and I do understand.

(Man-hug)
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Sorry to hear about it. I'm a cat guy, had them all my life until my son was born. He's allergic.

My main cat, Mick, saw me through 18 years. Saw me through many moves and relationships. Used to sit on my amp while I played, sleep with me under the blankets (obviously had no sense of smell) and whispered in my ear to wake me up. He was very possessive of me and if I left the room he would position himself in front of a guest's feet and keep them from walking around until I returned.

Toward the end he became diabetic and after a year of oral insulin then a year of injected insulin I had to put him down. Very sad time. That was about 8 years ago. Never thought our run together would end. The last couple of years were really about keeping him alive and frankly, if I had it to do again, I probably wouldn't.

Then a friend at work gave me a Maine Coon kitten they couldn't keep. Shiloh picked up right where Mick left off but in a different way. A very cool cat but he's the one we had to find a home for due to my son's allergies.

Don't beat yourself up about not being able to afford treatment, there are no guarantees and besides, you've been a great companion to your cat for years.

Cheers to kitty.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Wow man, very sorry to hear that.

Animals can often be your best friend in a sense. That's tuff stuff and I will one day face the same thing as will most all pet owners.

We have two cats btw.

pets are awesome. no demands. no games. no hidden motives. just unconditonal love and companionship. people who have never had the relationship don't understand the joy while they're living or the dire pain when they depart. my thoughts are with you.

Hope you're doing okay today, Ian.

17 years is a very long time for a cat to live. Without you to take care of her, she most certainly wouldn't have made it half that long. It's a tough world out there. But you took her in, and you loved her, and you gave her a home. And when it came time for her to go, you made sure she didn't suffer.

You did right by her, and I'm sure she'll always love you for it.

Your cat was fortunate enough to have a person who loved her and treasured her,as she obviously did you.17 years is a long time.Like others,I've had to put pets down.
    Sorry to hear about this-------remember the good times and great companionship.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Wow guys, thanks for the outpouring here, It means alot. Thank you.
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Somewhere between mile marker #24 and mile marker #856

{{{mojo}}}

Sorry to hear this, StoneFree. Losing a pet is rough.

Well guys here we almost 2 months since I started this thread, I never got into it again after the initial postings, but that next day I took Lacey to the vet and the Doctor gave us some hope, steroids that would help here, he said they wouldn't cure her obviously but they would help her but at any sign of pain or suffering to let him know asap. Well They worked, she became as spry as ever and there was even some progress. I am sad to say though the last couple of days haven't been to good for her so Valerie and I Came to the decision that it was time.

After a playful morning with her we took the car ride over to the vet and I held her in the waiting room until it was time, I stayed with her and made sure I was always in her line of sight, after all she was my companion and "1st mate" through everything that went on.We made eye contact and she gently put her paw in the palm of my hand and at 12:58 PM It was over. It was peaceful and I can see the happiness in her. Wrapping her up in a blanket, I took her outside while Valerie went back in to get my keys, as I sat down in the car with her in my arms the church bells from a few blocks went off and let me know that it was 1 In the afternoon. Very Surreal .

We Drove to Valerie's folks house and Lay her to rest with her other companion Murdock the cat who passed 4 years ago.
    Tough Day All, Never thought it would come but Rather than see her go through the pain, we did what we had to do.

Rest In Peace Lacey. I'll see ya again one day.

RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Forum Member

R.I.P., Lacey.

I'm so sorry. This is the price we sometimes have to pay for all the happiness these pets of ours bring into our lives while they're with us; sometimes we have to go against our own wishes and let them go with dignity and without pain.

Knowing that doesn't make it any easier, though, I know.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

RIP Lacey.

After the matriarch siamese passed after about 20 years, her "boyfriend" Tigger (my orange tabby) followed her in just a few short months.
    He was less than 6 years old.
    Vet said he had a cancerous tumour, it's hard to think he didn't miss his gal and
    died of a broken heart.
    He was the same gentle cat to the end.
    Wife and I still find ourselves following the kitty's habits, I swear I "saw" Tigger dashing around the corner a couple of weeks ago.
    These animals touch us in so many ways, and the best is just to remember the great times.
    We still have stories about them to tell.
    Last edited by Cygnus X1; 08-15-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Man...I put my dog down last September after having him from 6 weeks old to 12 1/2 years old.

I read your story and I feel your sadness.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Hate to think how we will feel after our baby, the avatar passes.
    We cherish every day, and apparently she does too.
    People often mistake her for a 1 year old shep.

She is now 7.
    We have an odd feeling she is a candle burning brightly and quickly.
    Best dog I have ever been blessed to know.

I'm sorry for your loss. We have two cats and I know it will be tough when we inevitably will have to say good-bye to them. It sounds like Lacy was well loved, which is the best gift we can give our pets.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

Tuff stuff man....

I wish I had some good words that would make you feel better, but there are none.

That's the rub for pet owners.

Thanks all. Valerie and Myself our very touched by all the words. The kind words help and happen to be very uplifting. I've been getting calls and text message's all day from friends and family, They all knew how close Lacey and I were. We were a team for the age's that's for sure! Thanks a million guys. As sad,depressed,upset, and empty as I feel, I am so relieved that I saved her the suffering and that she was able to lock eyes with me and put her paw in my hand the entire way out for her final journey. A Moment I will never forget.

Thanks again everyone, you guys are such a swell bunch of people, and great friends too boot. Thanks guys.
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

I'd say no problem, but believe me a tear or two was shed here in this household reading your story.
    It is a part of the life, to have the goodbye.

My advise is to have the proper memorial, just sit on the porch and talk about the good times.
    Wife and I still do that, and there are a lot of laughs to go along with the pain.

Lacey.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Somewhere between mile marker #24 and mile marker #856