Thread: new guy Super Reverb maintenance question

Forum Member

new guy Super Reverb maintenance question

Howdy all,
    At near 59 years old, I just started playing guitar again. Played rhythm in high school and college bands, rock and roll. Despite traveling all over the world, I never sold the Super Reverb I had from back then. I think it is a '66 model and has never had any maintenance. The other day I plugged in a Telecaster knock off I just finished building from a kit. The SR did her hissing, popping and crackling that I would expect from sitting so long. Reading this forum, I think I would be best served to find someone to go through the thing and update as required. So, my question is, can anyone recommend a reputable person/shop in the San Antonio area? I'm sure there must be someone in nearby Austin, so I can certainly take it up there for someone good to do the work. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: new guy Super Reverb maintenance question

I'd take that SR up to TJ (aka "NTBluesGuitar" here on the TFF) in Denton -- he's intimately familiar with BF architecture and won't snow you or rob you.

Best of luck, HTH
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

I sincerely appreciate the suggestion. I sure wish I could find someone a little closer in the middle of the state, though. Thanks, Lou

Forum Member

Go to the vintage guitar stie and peep thru their classifide listings as you may turn up some one closer. I most times have a mag here with me at work, but today I do not other wise I would look for you.
    Dependant where the amp has been stored, you may concider changing out the speakers to keep then working to maintane the amps value.
    Original working speakers can be worth 40% of a vintage amps value if it sould come time to sell it.
    Vinatge speakers that have been stored in hot dry places will drop the voice coil off of the cone, speakers stored a long time in humidity sound like crap, but are less likly to come apart.

Forum Member

Wow, storing the speakers, that's interesting. Most of the places the amp has been are humid. It has spent most of its life sitting with the original cover on it. It looks like new. Thanks for the info. Lou

San Antonio to Denton is a LONG drive! That's about 300 miles, almost 2 and a half hours at I-35 velocities. For the rest of the world it's about 4.5 hours.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

It's a long way but you will be secure knowing that it will come back at the top of it's game.

That is a long wawy to go, what about tonecraft or austin amp. in Austin I have never dealt with them but it is closer.

Plenty of good amp techs in Austin which is just up the road from you.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

"Plenty of good amp techs in Austin which is just up the road from you."
    That's what I'm talking about! Seems intuitive to me that there should be someone in my neck of the woods who surfs this site.
    By the way, just got back from a roadtrip up 35 today. Just north of San Marcos they had some road construction taking the lanes from 3 to 2. It backed things up to Kyle. About an hour and a half to go 20 miles on a Sunday! Sad, sad, sad. At least it was only 102 outside with 80 per cent humidity. But, anyway, thanks for the inputs from you guys and gals. Lou

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Just make sure they change what they need to, don't change what they don't need to, and give you back all removed parts..

the guys at Krazy cat music are awesome amp techs downtown on St Mary's right off 281

the even have valves in stock (gasp)