Thread: Mental/nonphysical exercises

Mental/nonphysical exercises

My current job leaves me with a few gaps between tasks. It's time I should be using constructively, but I'm struggling to think of what to do.

Are there any memorization exercises you can suggest that don't need a guitar or book nearby? I can grab some scrap paper, or download a (silent) iPhone app...
    i bet this really annoy's you if your a grammar freak.

Re: Mental/nonphysical exercises

You have time but you're stuck at your desk?

When I was in school I did a lot of weird fretboard memorization things.

One of them goes like this: you pick a fret and then name the notes on each string going up and then down. On the way up, it's sharps, on the way down, it's flats.

For instance, 6th fret - up: A#, D#, G#, C#, F, A#, down: Bb, F, Db, Ab, Eb, Bb.

When that gets too easy, you go in diagonals. So, if you started on the 6th fret for the 6th string, then you'd go to the 7th fret for the 5th string, etc.

Example: A#, E, A#, E, A, D# - starting 6th fret, 6th string and ended 11th fret, 1st string.

There's lot of combinations you can do.

Or you could just wander off into the twilight realm of your own secret thoughts.
    s'all goof.

I like Curtis' suggestion.

Another is to go through scales and basic chord content (if you don't already know the notes really well). For example,write out the scale of C vertically. Then beside it, add the other notes in the triad.

Or, write out a chord on a chord chart and then name all the notes in the chord, and indicate whether the note is 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, whatever.

Or just make sure you know off by heart, the scales of the keys in which you normally play.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Cheers :)

You have time but you're stuck at your desk?
    I take calls and log them onto a system for other techs to deal with. It can be busy, but I've had moments where I'll sit for ten minutes or so without a call. I can't move from the desk in case someone does phone, and I think my bosses would think I was taking the piss if I had a book with me

Or you could just wander off into the twilight realm of your own secret thoughts.
    Bad idea, last time I woke up in a ditch.

Wearing women's underwear.

I'll give these exercises a try. Thanks again
    i bet this really annoy's you if your a grammar freak.