Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a "Frankenstrat"

Building a "Frankenstrat"

Hi,

I've been having serious gas for an EVH "Frankenstein" guitar lately, but unfortunately I don't have the $25000 to spare. So I thought, why not build my own? It could be a fun guitar project.

I've never built a guitar before so I'm not sure what would be the best approach. Buy a cheap Strat style guitar as a starting point or build one from scratch. There are no actual models on the market that have the same specs as the original. There's always eBay and I've seen a few places on the internet that offer body parts too. But I'm having a hard time finding parts that match the exact same specs as Frankenstein. The neck is the biggest issue (2 piece maple neck + maple fingerboard - no skunkline at the back of the neck - 25.5" scale lenght, 21 jumbo frets, 12"-16" compound radius, 1 5/8" at the nut, rod adjustment at the heel...).

Here are the specs I gathered from searching different websites and forums:

Body: Ash - 1975 factory second Strat ash body (Northern hard ash body?)
    Neck: Maple bolt-on
    Fingerboard: Maple w/ 12"-16" compound radius w/ black dot inlays
    Tuning Machines: 6 in-line Schaller M-6 Mini Guitar Machines
    Frets: 21 Jumbo (Dunlop® 6100)
    Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
    Width at Nut: 1-5/8" (41.2 mm)
    Bridge pickup: Seymour Duncan(®) Custom Shop EVH 14k degaussed A2 magnets or Duncan 78 pickup(?) (asymmetric wind)
    Middle pickup: None
    Neck pickup: Non-fonctional unknown single-coil pickup w/ black cover
    Pickup Switching: 3-way switch (non-fontional)
    Pickguard: One-ply black
    Controls: Master Volume (“Tone” knob) – 500K pots
    Bridge: Floyd Rose® Original Tremolo
    Nut: R-2 = 1-5/8" Locking Nut
    Hardware: Aged Chrome
    Strings: GHS .009, .011, .016, .026, .036, .046
    Paint: Black, White & Red (Schwinn) Acrylic lacquer bicycle paint sprayed in that order
    Strap buttons: (2) Eye hooks
    Reflectors: Orange & Red truck reflectors
    Other features: 1971 US quarter

I've done some woodworking in the past and have access to a woodworking shop with tools so I can build the body and finish it myself, but I don't have enough knowledge to build a neck with a fingerboard.

Does anyone here have any experience building such a guitar? Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    tbof
    Last edited by the_best_of_fools; 06-02-2009 at 08:45 AM.

Re: Building a "Frankenstrat"

I'd grab an ash body off the bay and get the neck from one of the online neck companies like Warmoth (or any of the others). You could even get the body there if you choose, but it'd most likely be less expensive to pick up something from the bay.
    POO DAT!!!

Thanks Mesotech.

I thought of doing this. Is it better to buy the neck and body from the same place? I'd be worried that different sourced parts would mismatch. I think Strat neck pockets have a standard size but I've read some neck heels can sometimes differ from one model/manufacturer(?).

Warmoth seems like a good place. But they don't offer the neck with the specs I need. I'd have to have them custom build it for me and it would cost me more. I also found USA Custom Guitars. They offer nice necks that would match my specs. I'm waiting for a price quote.

I also noticed some parts manufacturers say they are licensed by Fender (like Musikraft). Are these better than the non licensed ones?

Forum Member

You're going to lose money, big time if you do this. The parts-o-caster market is nearing the bottom of the tank now.

If you really must do this, look around on Ebay or Craigs List for one or more hand-rolled instruments and buy them for the body and the neck (already finished). Assemble your own and sell the left over parts.

And remember that if you ever want to sell the guitar that you build, you're going to take it in the shorts. As they say.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrick View Post
    You're going to lose money, big time if you do this. The parts-o-caster market is nearing the bottom of the tank now.
    I'll lose mony if I do what? You mean buy a custom made neck from Warmoth or a similar place?

If you really must do this, look around on Ebay or Craigs List for one or more hand-rolled instruments and buy them for the body and the neck (already finished). Assemble your own and sell the left over parts.
    I check eBay a lot and I'm having a rought time finding exactly what I want. It's hard to find a 2 piece maple neck/maple fingerboard 21 frets with no skunkstripe at the back of the neck and with the truss rod adjustment at the heel.

And remember that if you ever want to sell the guitar that you build, you're going to take it in the shorts. As they say.
    I'm not doing this project with the intention of selling the guitar. This one is for keeps!

Thanks for your input,
    tbof

Most of the companies you mentioned offer parts that are completely interchangeable with standard Fender parts. The ones that are "Licensed" are guarenteed to be exact fits (or so the story goes). I'd guess that no matter what you decide to go with, there might be a little bit of sanding and shaping to be done somewhere along the line.

I think what cherrick is saying is that you can rarely piece together a guitar (if you have to purchase all of the parts) for less money than you can buy one for. That is, except in cases like yours where you are going for a specific replica. You can certainly buy a lot of parts for less than what one of those replicas sell for.

You will lose money though, in the direct swap of dollars when comparing what you buy to what you "could" sell for. Odds are, this doesn't matter much to you because if you just wanted a Strat for the sake of owning a Strat, you wouldn't be going through all of the trouble.

When building this, just remember that Eddie didn't scrounge around looking for exactly "this part" or "that part". He threw together whatever he had and could get his hands on to build himself a functional tool. He wasn't even quite sure how to wire it together properly. So long as it played, he was content. That was a big part of the allure and charm of the guitar and the man.

So go wild and start gathering parts. Put it all together, and play it like a mongrel mutt.
    POO DAT!!!

Forum Member

You're going to lose money, big time if you do this.
    Only if he's building it to sell. I get the impression he's building it to play.

My go to is a Frankencastor it sounds great and plays the way a guitar should, IMHO.

Thanks for your input guys. I really appreciate it.

I see what you mean by costing more when buying a guitar part by part (like ordering "a la carte"!).

I already have a 2008 Strat. I bought it last summer at an auction raising money for a youth music foundation. It's signed by Daniel Lanois so I see it more like a collector's piece - well for me at least - it's probably not worth more than what I paid for. Anyway, I don't want to wear too much. That's the main reason for the Frankenstrat project. I just want a cool guitar replica of one of my childhood heros I won't be affraid of playing the hell out of!

I've seen some Strat body parts on eBay. I think the ones I've seen the most (the cheapest) come from MIM Strats and they all had what seem to be weight relief holes under the pickguard. I need an ash body routed for 3 single coils without any other holes or routes visible from the top, besides the control cavity and trem .

The search continues... that's the fun part!

Will keep you updated on the project.

Thanks again -
    tbof

Quote Originally Posted by thegeezer View Post
    My go to is a Frankencastor it sounds great and plays the way a guitar should, IMHO.
    Do you have any pics? I'd love to see it.

Yeah, good luck with your build.

All of my Fender type guitars are mongrel franken-casters. I do it that way to get the guitar I want. They're not investments. They're instruments. Sometimes the only way to get the features you want is to build it yourself. You also feel a certain pride and connection to an instrument that you put together yourself, even if it was just bolting together parts.
    s'all goof.

Quote Originally Posted by the_best_of_fools View Post
    Do you have any pics? I'd love to see it.
    Just the one on the side, I am pc illiterate or I would insert it.

Quote Originally Posted by the_best_of_fools View Post
    I've seen some Strat body parts on eBay. I think the ones I've seen the most (the cheapest) come from MIM Strats and they all had what seem to be weight relief holes under the pickguard. I need an ash body routed for 3 single coils without any other holes or routes visible from the top, besides the control cavity and trem.
    just get you some bondo, you're going to repaint the guitar anyways.

i think fender has blown the whole frankenstrat thing WAY out of proportion. like others have stated, that guitar is a mongrel. it was and always will be. eddie put it together the cheapest way he could. that is not to say it's not a cool guitar, but they need to get real about what they hell they are really building.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

You're absolutely right, chuckocaster. Don't want to spend a fortune here. I just do it as a hobby. Like I said in a previous thread, I get off the most just searching for parts! I'd still preffer an ash body over alder body. I don't own any ash body guitar.

tbof

BTW, does anybody know what's inside the middle pup cavity? Is it the three-way switch? I can't make it from any pics I have.

tbof

on the OG it's just some loose wires. the neck pup was never wired in, from my understanding eddie put it in there cause he thought the guitar looked weird without it.

Yeah, in the replica, the middle position holds the 3 way switch. Eddie couldn't figure how to wire it, but found a position it would work in and shoved it into the route to hold it in place. On the original guitar (at least at some point) there was no switch at all, the pickup was just wired directly.
    POO DAT!!!

Kramer Focus2000 or Charvel Model 2 are both a good basis for this kind of project. These guitars run around 250-300 dollars, two piece maple neck.
    Not 100 percent sure on the body material, but they are solid, not ply.
    Both Floyd equipped (Model 2 has a Jackson JT6, but a Floyd fits with no mods).

And don't forget the quarter under the trem!

Forum Member

No sweat. "built" mine for about 100.00 bucks. also got a steel block from GFS>
    Granted, its not 100% historically accurate Can you tell body is plywood with a decal? Actually sounds good and plays pretty well.
    Yeah, it adorns the wall of my Mancave.
    [IMG] [/IMG]

The Samick neck looks good on that jerry.
    (It is a Samick, right?)
    I just remembered the models I recommended are single hum.

Practical, but kills the "historical" idea of empty pup routes.

And look at the possibilities with coil taps.

You're going to lose money, big time if you do this.
    Now I see what you meant.

Been looking around the net and eBay for parts. I find that most people overcharge for shipping when it comes to eBay. It's seems like it's cheaper in the end to buy a few parts from places like Guitar Parts Resource or Warmoth to name a few, and pay a little more than buying a part here and another one there on eBay. You end up paying shipping every time. Also, parts are not all cheap on eBay. Plus I hate bidding. I never win anything! lol!

Oh yeah, and I didn't think an Original Floyd Rose would be that hard to find. Sure they're out there but man are those things expensive.

The search continues...
    Last edited by the_best_of_fools; 06-13-2009 at 11:11 AM.

Just a quick update on my Frankenstrat project.

I got my ash body for my project this Friday. I ordered it from KnE Guitars. I'm very impressed. The pickup routes are like the ones Eddie chiseled on his original Frankenstrat. Next step, when I have some time off, will be filling the grain and sealing the wood. Here are pics of the sanded body.

I bought pretty much all of my parts except for the bridge pickup, the Floyd Rose and the neck. I'm still uncertain about the neck. I want to keep this project as close as possible to the original specs but I don't think I can afford a birdseye neck at this moment. Will probably go for one of the blank peghead necks from Stew-Mac. I'm going to order an Original Floyd Rose and a new EVH Frankenstrat pickup later this month.

tbof

Forum Member

you can also look over here; Guitar Parts Online
    i have only bought pickups from them, the black rails, gold screamers and the HCZ active, and can vouch for them being very good pickups. i'm planning on getting a set of locking tuners sometime and a couple of other parts i need.

Thanks guys.

tbof

I just received my Frankenstrat neck today. It's from Musikraft (eBay). It's amazing. Beautiful birdseye maple neck, very nice quality, incredible craftsmanship.

Here are some pics:

Neck Type: Strat Neck
    Neck Material: Flame Maple
    Finger Board Material: Birdseye Maple
    Top Inlay: Rosewood
    Side Inlay: Black
    Finger Board Radius: 12"
    Fret Wire Size: Medium Jumbo 6150
    Number of Frets: 21
    Nut Width : 1 11/16" routed for floyd rose nut R-3
    Heel Width: 2 3/16" (accurate squared off tele shape!)
    Tuner Hole Size: 10mm
    Back Contour: Thin C .78" @ the 1st fret to .88"@ the 12th fret
    Truss Rod Type: Dual Acting
    Truss Adjustable @: Heel
    Finish: Hand rubbed high quality "aged" oil finish

Very happy with it. I can move on with the project. Still waiting for my Floyd Rose and pup.

tbof

Nice piece a lumber ya got there!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

+1.
    Can't wait to see it finished.

Whenever I get a chance I have a Yamaha strat ready for similar treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
    Whenever I get a chance I have a Yamaha strat ready for similar treatment.
    Good for a b/w VH1 project. That'll be my next project.

Work in progress.

Here's the body prior to the primer coats. It was filled with Minwax Ultra fast drying Polycrylic. I applied 5 coats with a foam brush, sanding lightly with 240 grit between each coat. It's the first time I use Poly as a grain filler. It also seals the wood at the same time. It's very easy to apply and dries very fast. I'm very pleased with the result.

Here are shots of the body after it was sprayed with sandable primer. I used Dupli-Color black primer, since I'm going to use Dupli-Color acrylic lacquer.

(I had to use a flash because of the shade).
    Last edited by the_best_of_fools; 08-12-2009 at 06:28 AM.

Lookin' good matey.
    Stay well,take care.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Forum Member

Just had to comment on how good that neck looks

yes sir! i love the figure on that neck.

what are you going to use for pups mr fool?

This should be a cool guitar! I can't wait to see it finished!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    yes sir! i love the figure on that neck.

what are you going to use for pups mr fool?
    I'm still not sure what pickup I'm gonna use right now. I might go for an EVH Frankenstein humbucker replica pickup ($$$), a used SD custom shop Model '78, an SD SH-11 Custom Custom ($$) or a GFS VEH Brown sound ($). I ordered a pickup from a guy who supposedly makes an awesome hand wound EVH PAF style replica p/up for $35.00, but I don't think he ever mailed it (long story). I will play this guitar so I don't mind investing a little extra on a good pickup.

I'm still waiting for the Floyd Rose from Warmoth and a pickguard and knobs from Stew-Mac. It's taking forever!

tbof

Darn! I got bad news today. I bought some parts from Stew-Mac more than 2 weeks ago that I still had not received them. So I emailed them to find out what was going on and it turns out they forgot to process my order. So I'll have to wait 2-3 more weeks before I can assemble the guitar. I'm still waiting for my Floyd Rose from Warmoth too.

On the other hand, it's giving me time to age some of the parts I already have. I used Muriatic Acid. Its fairly easy to use and it works very well. I let the parts hang over the vapors in some cheese-cloth inside a glass jar. Like this you can't damage the parts. The results are very satisfying so far. I did the 1971 US quarter and the jack plate.

Lightly aged jack plate (sorry, no before shot).

US quarter before and after.

tbof

Just curious.
    Doing a great job, BTW.

If you are going into that much detail then why didn't you just hunt down a Kramer and do the deed from there?

I answered my own question.
    Quoted:

Edward bought the ash body from Linn Ellsworth in 1975 for fifty dollars and the neck (also a cast-off) for eighty dollars. Originally, the body came with single-coil bridge, neck, and middle pickup positions pre-routed and Van Halen, with a chisel, excavated a hole to house a humbucker in the bridge position. He placed in this chiseled hole a P.A.F. from a 1961 Gibson ES-335. The pickup was also "ruined" but sounded good so it's what he used. The single-coil neck pick-up was completely disengaged. The guitar was first sprayed with black and then white Scwinn acrylic lacquer bicycle paint and mounted a black strat-style pickguard (also home-made) eventually only covering the two front (electronics) routings. The Guitar was eventually repainted with red, black and white stripes and orange truck reflectors added to the back of the guitar.. This red-Frankenstrat first appeared as the black and white guitar pictured on the debut VH album The nut was brass and the tailpiece unit was from a 1961 Fender Stratocaster. This guitar was Edward's main instrument for the first several albums and tours. During the band's second world wide stampede Van Halen replaced the original tremelo with then-prototype Floyd Rose. A quarter was attached just under the top-back side of the floyd Rose to keep it from rising up.That first Linn Ellsworth neck was broken by the guitarist's rigorous stage antics and replaced with whatever was handy (including a Danelectro at one point). The Ellsworth neck sported Gibson jumbo frets ("I put those in with the help of some Crazy Glue"-EVH). The tuning heads were Schallers. "There's really no secret. The reason I use what I use is through trial and error,"-EVH

And...again quoted:
    "In 1983 Ed began endorsing Kramer guitars and used customized Kramer guitars and necks.

Although a Kramer EVH signature model was never created the Kramer "Baretta" was modeled after Ed's frankenstrat (minus the paint job and other EVH customizations)"

End quotes.

I guess my point is this.
    There's some merit in trying to re-create that guitar, but kind of pointless in the long run.
    If I had the urge to build a frankenstrat I would do it about as cheap as Eddie did.
    As with most, his tone is in his style, not in that guitar.
    The "joke" is, it was a mutt!

Don't get me wrong, as I said, I have a Yammie body waiting for similar treatment and I will go the black/white paint job on it.
    So far I have about 25 dollars in it.
    Last edited by Cygnus X1; 08-10-2009 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    i think fender has blown the whole frankenstrat thing WAY out of proportion. like others have stated, that guitar is a mongrel. it was and always will be. eddie put it together the cheapest way he could. that is not to say it's not a cool guitar, but they need to get real about what they hell they are really building.