Thread: Fender Prodigy

Fender Prodigy

hi! long time no post!(finally remembered my password!) i ran into one of these in sevierville tennesee, at the music outlet. it played and sounded really good for needing setup and intonated. i would've came home with it if it didn't have a steep price tag, $599 after dropping $100 off. the cons to it were no volume, tone, and 5-way knobs, a blister on the corner of the lower horn and some wiring issues.(from the middle position to the neck position, bad solder joint or grounding) its still on my mind, bad! i'm possibly thinking of contacting and seeing about a lay away deal of sorts and paying to ship it up here. i dunno, i'll post in the wanted section for one.

Forum Member

Re: Fender Prodigy

never even heard of a fender prodigy. and with all those problems i wouldnt even want it. there is no fix for a guitar with no tone. you can make tone better, but you cant give a non tone guitar tone. plain and simple

Forum Member

What is it you like about the guitar? The slightly different body shape? The pickups? The bridge humbucker? Does it just play well and sound really good? 'Cause even with the Fender price increases, you could get a good MIM Strat brand new for not much more than $599.

fenders with the locking trem always catch my eye, but usually are over $500. from a couple of different sites they say it was made from 91-93 to compete with jackson/charvel and ibanez's super strats. the electrical issue wouldn't be a pain to fix and i've got spare knobs. the guy told me that its already marked down from the msrp of $1,295, and that the $699 included the price to ship it there, ect....ect.... he must not be to eager to sell it.

well, i did go for it. took the $100 off deal. i was down at guitar center wednesday, and wouldn't you know, they had one, too, in white. they have it listed for $499. it played nice and sounded very good too. i'm very much looking forward to getting it!

That's a lot of dough for a mexican Fender assembled in the US. I could never hang with the offset body and lack of curves and the small headstock, but they are neat for what they are.

Is the one you're getting a Prodigy or Prodigy II? IIFC, the II's had Schaller trems and the former a syncro.
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 06-27-2009 at 07:23 AM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

its the Prodigy II. both guitars i played on sported the Kahler Spyder trems. they look killer in white, so once i get mine, i'll see if GC wants to do an even trade, if its still around by that time.

Forum Member

At first I thought this thread was going to be about Tallan...

tadaaa!
    Prodigy 1
    Prodigy 2
    Prodigy 3
    then the original tag that came with it;
    front
    back
    the color is actually a deep red/crimson/blood red on it. i got new strings, the intonation done, and action good to go. the stock pickups are very good and next string change i'll end up putting a new 5-way in and doing the gibson wiring mod.