Thread: "original body contour"

"original body contour"

What does this mean?
    Which is the original?
    the 50's?

Anyway, after comparing, I think my California Series Strat has the same body contours as the USA '62 reissue.

Agreed ?

Re: "original body contour"

Im thinking its the deeper contour like my EJ has(the one for the beer gut)

TFF Stage Crew

"Original Contour Body" was the decal on the headstock ball of Strats from their earliest dates. I just refers to the front & back contours on the body, that's all.
    Nowadays we take it for granted but it was a pretty wild idea on top of an already wild idea: The solid body electric guitar.

Forum Member

"Original Contour Body" would make a good album title. I'm just saying.

If only the ladies would keep their original body contours. Then again, we don't keep em either.

Another reason Strats are timeless and we bide our time.
    "I'm a hand model, mama. A finger jockey. We think differently than the face and body boys."

I can feel deeper belly contours on certain models than others. It seems that the MIM standard contours are not as deep as the USA 50 RI or the 62 USA RI body contours.

As Stratocasters evolved, the contour did also. The 50s and 60s had deep back contours and the arm contour was also more pronounced.

Starting in about late 1963 or early 1964 the countours both front and back changed becoming less pronounced. The Arm contour was flatter and did not go down as far. The back was moved up and was less deep. This is visibly noticable.

As the 70s came with the first 3 bolts thhe contours became less dramatic again.

The 80s saw the guitars generally going back to original specs such as pegheads and the contours - this was done under the direction of Dan Smith. Look at a 3 bolt Strat and a so called Smith Strat, the American Standard etc.and this becomes evident - the contours are way different.

The Vintage RI went to deeper contours again but not like the 50s. The Time Machine CS series are actually quite close to the originals. The MIJ reissues have deeper contours but definitely not like the originals or the AVRIs or the CS Time Machine etc....

The Eric Johnson Strats have deep contours like the old ones.

I am quite sure this only touches the surface and you could write a book on this.....
    Last edited by Erock_Germany; 05-14-2009 at 02:42 AM.
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

Thank You for that! It's exactly what I was thinking.

And, I believe that my '97 California Series Strat has the same contours as the USA '62 reissue. I can feel it.

Generally the 50's 60's 70's 80's MIM Standards all have slightly different contours. I prefer the deep 50's "original body contour" the best!

Forum Member

In 1954 The Stratocaster headstock said Original Contour Body, what was that refering to? Did they forsee the change in the contour? Probably not, and I dont think it has anything to do with the depth of the contours as my 1974 Strat was almost as flat as a Telecaster and had that decal! I think its just more of a vintage vibe thing, and more to do with a decal and not the contours.

Forum Member

If the first Strats said "Original Contour Body," it may be that the "Original" referred to the fact that the Strat's contoured shape was Fender's own, original design rather than referring to a return to an earlier spec for the contours.

Maybe?

Forum Member

I agree

Quite, but the question was which was the original, the 50's? The fact is, as you mention, they are all original. The decal refers to the design not the contour istself - but it has changed over the years.....
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

Anyone have photos that clearly show the differences?

Here's my AVRI Strat: