Thread: Discard of old tubes

Forum Member

Discard of old tubes

If this is a stupid quesiton I apologize in advance.

Is there any type of protocol or recycling concerns, environmental or otherwise, or when discarding old/used vacuum tubes? Any use or value to someone for old tubes? I would gladly do what I need to do to dispose of them properly or to see that they can be put to use by someone else.

I post this question on this forum as I know there are some very capable amp people who participate in THE FENDER FORUM.

In the past I have thrown them out and had not thought much about it. I just got my amp back from the shop today and the tech, as is his normal practice, returned to old tubes to me. Let me know. Thanks.
    "The problem with finding your own path is that you are already on it." Quote by Mick Goodrick, from THE ADVANCING GUITARIST

Re: Discard of old tubes

I have had some thoughts without all that much knowledge.
    I do know tubes have some heavy metal elements you wouldn't want in a common landfill, or a water supply.
    Barium, cadmium, lead...etc.
    I still hang on to tubes I foresee no possible use for.
    On the other hand, check the antique radio forums.
    Those guys might just want that "plinker" you have.

I have found myself using some of those plinkers in old amps found on ebay to resurrect some radios and PA's that I never would have thought about.

Don't wreck them-sell them.

Re: Discard of old tubes

Target practice.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim