Thread: Maxon AD999 died. Repairmen out there?

Maxon AD999 died. Repairmen out there?

There was a power surge in my neighborhood recently. Happens in this old city. And it apparently killed my Maxon delay, not to mention my Furman pedalboard. The Furman is under warranty, but I wondered if anyone had suggestions on where I could sent it for possible repair?

I hear the pedaldoctor is a good choice. Any others?

Re: Maxon AD999 died. Repairmen out there?

take a look at the dropping resistor coming off the 9V input, it's probably fried. i'd imagine that if you changed that you'd be back up and running.

don't really know about who could fix your pedal, i'm mostly DIY.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I hadn't heard of the AD-999 so I looked it up and read this little fine print from their spec: Maxon AC210N adaptor (we strongly urge the use the Maxon AC210N only. Other adaptors may trip the internal fuse, requiring professional service of the unit and voiding the warranty)

So I would guess that is what happened to yours - the fuse needs replacing. It's unusual for a pedal to have a fuse. Their BBD devices must be very voltage sensitive.

Since I build/mod/fix my own pedals, I can't really recommend a professional servicer. But maybe my info will help pinpoint the problem.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

Ya, I read about the fuse as well, which makes me think the pedal can be saved.

I took the unit apart and couldn't locate it. Maxon calls it "a replaceable fuse," so I imagine it could be taken off and replaced, DIY.

I've emailed Maxon for advice on where the fuse is located, but if you all have any ideas....

All I see are resistors and the like on the PCB.

Got a pic?

If you have to send it out, Analog Man repairs pedals...
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Working now, Ziess. But will snap a pic of the AD999 innards soonest so you can take a look. Many thanks.

Here ya go folks

And a few more

I'm guessing it's staring me right in the face: the (F1) 315ma

That is how a fuse is usually designated, so that is a good bet.

I don't like the looks of all the solder flux around it. Has this been repaired before (that you know of)?

You can test it if you have a multimeter. Set you multimeter to the 200 ohms reading, and put one probe on each side of the fuse. You should read very low ohms (like 1 ohm or less). If you meter indicates out-of-range, the fuse is blown.

Here's a 315mA Fuse sold at Mouser.com:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...JBaHTOdtEuU%3d

This fuse is about 0.25" long and a 1/10" wide, so could be hand soldered fairly easily if you have soldering skills or know someone that does.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

I bought the pedal used, so it is possible it's been repaired. Maxon says they will take it in for $35 an hour plus shipping, and if it's the fuse, it will not take more than an hour.

I'll test the fuse. I can solder it myself. I wonder, however, if anything else was blown.

Thanks a lot for the help.