Thread: Finger picking helps timing

Finger picking helps timing

I just wanted to share with everyone, my latest improvement in speed & timing.

I mostly play 80's & 90's rock, and for the most part eveything I play is strumming, with some song with occasional picking.

Recently, I worked on Silent Lucidity by Queensr˙che and for the most part have it down pretty good, I still mess up some of the changes. The point, I never thought I could play it and have the staminia to finger pick for a whole song, and I almost got it.

I started working on December by collective soul this morning, & it was great how easy it came to me. This song is much easier that the other song, but it's neat how once you learn the timing, it just feels natural.

Any comments?

Forum Member

Re: Finger picking helps timing

When I started to finger pick, all I did was play everything that I knew with a pick - without one. You can find really great tones, especially when you scrape your 3 middle fingers across the strings to hit a bending note a la SRV.

As for timing, I never really paid attention to how that affected me...

Re: Finger picking helps timing

This is true!

Finger picking really moved me to another level of playing and helped me develope better timing and such.

I stared finger-picking mainly old blues songs with a lot of walkin bass lines. Takes a little time to get the groove, but after a while it's like a piano player's left hand.