Thread: K&K Pure Western Mini

K&K Pure Western Mini

Although I like the sound of the K&K pickups that I put in my guitar, I find it to sound overly bassy. Has anyone else had that experience?

The install went very well and all three pickups appear to be installed correctly but the treble is not very responsive almost as if it wasn't installed as well as the other two. It would be nice to have a separate volume control for each pickup.

Maybe the included preamp is a little boomy and I shoul try it without it.

Re: K&K Pure Western Mini

I thought this was an acoustic pickup. What guitar did you put it in? I have one in a Martin HD 28 and a D-18. I get rave reviews about the sound. If you have the belt clip preamp from K&K, you should be able to roll off the bass. They can really boom, but that's largely going to be due to the PA/amplifier you are playing through. When I play live with that preamp, sometimes the sound guy freaks and has to back WAY off... I warn them ahead of time and then keep some gain available on my end so I can dial in my sound for each song.

I put it in a Yamaha acoustic that I've had for over 30 years.

I eq'd the hell out of it (bass ALL the way down, mids most of the way down) with the included pre-amp and it sounds very good now. The system that I have, the Ultra Pure Western Mini, includes a pre-amp that is installed in the guitar.

http://www.kksound.com/ultrapurewestern.html

Forum Member

I use the old regular sized K&K's in my Taylor 810 dread with an LR Baggs PADI without any issues. Superglued in by the way.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

I heard those weird 'World' PUs are the sh*t in acoustics - kinda pricey tho...