Thread: P-Bass Pickup Covers

P-Bass Pickup Covers

Does anyone have any slick tricks for keeping them in place?

On my 2x P-Bass project, I'm having trouble with the coils dropping out of the covers and falling into the body cavities. Since the mounting screws are attached to the covers, there's nothing to hold the coils in place. Even though they're fully "snapped" on, they still come undone and drop out

What I've thought of so far:

1) Tape the covers on

2) Put foam spacers in the bottom of the cavities

Maybe someone has a better idea? I'm sure I'm not the first one to run into this issue.

Thanks!
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

Re: P-Bass Pickup Covers

Foam under the pickups, or....surgical tubing/springs (either) on the screw shaft, UNDER the pickup tab.....

That should do the trick.

That is how the SX should have been done from the factory....
    So....screw through top of pickup cover, through tubing, foam under pup helps hold pup up.......tubing allows better height adjustment....and then into the wood.

Sometimes, foam alone is good. I had to add tubing on one to get the height I needed.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

the duncan pup i've had have always had the covers glued onto the bobbin.

here i was thinking you were going to put the chrome shroud covers on your bass. i'm glad you're not.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

These pickups are Duncans (Vintage SPB-1 for the neck, Quarter Pounder SPB-3 for the bridge), and the covers weren't glued on. They were pressure-fitted, and a moderate tap will unseat them.

Chrome shrouds... while I think they look good on true reproductions, I think 2 of them on one bass would be too strange.

Thanks for the input. I'll have to hit the hardware store for some of that adhesive-backed insulating foam.

The original SX pickups had no foam under them; just springs on the screw shafts. But the covers appear to be glued on. As an aside, I'm saving those pickups for an electric octave mandolin, which I'll probably make from a Squier Mini Strat.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry