Thread: CV Tele String Buzz

Forum Member

CV Tele String Buzz

I have been putting off doing something about this. I don't know if it's a warranty issue or not.

It seems the first fret is low and it shows most on the sixth string. I get no buzz open or playing at the second fret. If I pick gently I hear no buzz. A short (6") straight edge rocks on the second fret all the way across the neck but less at the first string end.

Would it be proper to lower the 2nd, 3rd, 4th,,,, frets progressively to fix this problem or is the only true repair a fret replacement. If the fret has to be replaced, is that going t involve the neck's finish?

I also hear something strange with the second string. It seems to be "buzzy" compared to the other strings. I can hear it without plugging into an amp, playing open or fretted. I raised the string slightly but it didn't seem to be the answer. Maybe I didn't go far enough. What might be the cause of what I'm hearing and how can I best troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks............Bill

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: CV Tele String Buzz

Sounds like a nut problem to me, Bill. Incorrect slotting perhaps......?
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

I'm very new to guitar setup so I don't understand all the interactions but it seems to me that anytime you fret the string, what's behind that fret is no longer part of the system.

I was thinking nut too, at first. But the sixth string doesn't buzz open, and doesn't buzz on the second fret, just the first fret. Is there some way the nut still influences the system once you start fretting strings?

Thanks for the help Roger..........Bill

Nah, you're right -- the nut wouldn't be a factor at that point.

How 'bout the neck......got enough relief down the fretboard?

Forum Member

I just checked that. It has what I'd estimate to be .015" - .020" across the entire length of the neck. I'll try to get a good measurement this coming week. What's a good number?

It does seem "normal" except for what I have mentioned.....Bill

I wouldn't be as concerned wif an actual number than the feel of the instrument in your hands. If it continues to "feel" hokay, you might put a skosh more relief into the neck. Say, a quarter turn or so.

HTH

Also... when making any neck adjustments... particularly jukin' with the truss rod you need to make small incremental changes and allow it to rest for at least several hours. I usually will allow the guitar to sit overnight before making any additional adjustments. It's kinda like hair cream... a little dab will do ya!

As a side bar on this theme... I didn't have that particular problem however I did readjust my bridge saddles up slightly to suit my taste. The action just seemed a wee bit low for me. The neck on mine is really fantastic!

I have made a pickup change on it though. I wasn't getting enough of what I was wanting. So I have quick disconnect wired a set of Fender Noiseless Tele's in it... sounds really good now!

Forum Member

I haven't had time the last couple of days to try the truss rod adjustment. Maybe later today. Thanks for reminding me about letting the neck settle after an adjustment. I read that somewhere in the past year or so.

The action is pretty low out of the box. I don't mind it being low, I'm not really used to any one setup because I've done very little playing in the last 20 years. I'm just getting back into it at this point.

If it turns out the frets need to be leveled because the first fret is low, is it better to replace the low fret or just dress the others down? I don't think we're talking about removing much material -- the buzz can be controlled with gentle picking. Taking .010" off the second fret (maybe less, I'm going to try to measure that tonight) and progressively less for the other frets. The frets do seem large compared to what I used to play so taking a little off wouldn't be a negative for me.

Thanks for the help......Bill

Second thing I did when I took my CV Tele out of the box was check the action & relief against Fender specifications - I had a few buzzes when I had first tuned it to pitch and sure enough the truss rod needed loosening (anti clockwise) about a quarter turn and the saddles lifting fractionally. It seems to have cured it.

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

Forum Member

I have adjusted the relief the 1/4 turn CCW suggested. I measured the relief (to aid my future intuition on how much 1/4 turn moves things), it was about .011" at the ninth fret before the change. Initially it moved to about .014" and was .022" the next day. I can't say it did much for the buzz.

I then added a full turn to the saddle and that changed things for the better -- the buzz is only there if you hit the string really hard. But the action is very high from the two changes, probably higher than I would like. The sixth string measures about 5/32" from the tops of the last two frets. That's about 2/32" higher than it was before the saddle change.

Since I had the feeler gages handy, I also measured the height of the first fret relative to the 2nd-5th frets using a short straight edge. At the extreme sixth string end it's .005-.006" low. Across the rest of the length it's about .003-.004" low and gets to .002" low at the first string. I also noticed the 20th and 21st frets are low although that's not an issue for me at this point and doesn't seem to cause any problems anyway.

Is it time to level the frets or is there another option?................Bill

I'd say a full leveling job is indicated at this point, Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I'd say a full leveling job is indicated at this point, Bill.
    I'd agree... that is too high. I'd find a reputable luthier in your area and spend the money on a fret leveling and have the nut checked out too. I hate to hear that though... from most of the other people I've heard from these guitars... mine included were really nice right out of the box! In fact I only tweaked mine to my tastes. Other than that and me changing pickups it was fine.

I low fret is is pretty weird on a new guitar. It's almost universally the other way around on a bolt-on. The only way I can think of a new fret being too low is that 1) the wrong wire was used, 2) it was pressed into the fretboard so hard the flanges crushed the wood, or 3) the neck itself is mis-shapen.

1 & 2 would be easily diagnosed by inspection. 3 would be a bit tougher to find, but is unlikely.

I'd be more likely to suspect the second fret being high. I would first change the strings and second check the pickup height. After that I'd start looking at the frets.

Can you hear it through the amp?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Would it be worth trying to do this as a warranty repair? Is it even covered?? Thanks again....Bill

or.....depending on how long you have had it....a replacement from the place you purchased?
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I low fret is is pretty weird on a new guitar. It's almost universally the other way around on a bolt-on....I'd be more likely to suspect the second fret being high.
    Good call OSA, the second fret is a little high, but it's less than .002" at the sixth string end. Doesn't sound like enough to give me .006" over the first fret. Maybe a little of both going on here.

The fret wire looks to be the same and doesn't appear to be smashed down into the neck although it would be hard to tell with the finish that's on the neck. I sure hope the neck isn't mis-shapen!

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I would first change the strings and second check the pickup height. After that I'd start looking at the frets.

Can you hear it through the amp?
    The strings are still original. I have a set or two of .010 to put on but I haven't done it yet. Still working on building calluses with the .009s.

The pickups seem to be fine. The bridge PU is 5/32" clear of the sixth string, the neck PU has more clearance than that. Unless the PU was very close, how would that cause buzz? Are the magnets strong enough to pull the string down?

Yes, it's there when I plug in -- but it was worse before the relief adjustment (which was a much less noticeable improvement unplugged). If I pick from under the string, it buzzes briefly. Picking 'normally' and gently, no buzz. Anything moderate or harder invites buzz.

Thanks OSA.........Bill

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    or.....depending on how long you have had it....a replacement from the place you purchased?
    I got it from MF in January. I'd hate to send it back unless it was their dime both ways. Maybe they'd send to an Fender authorized service center...........Bill

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamrose View Post
    The strings are still original. I have a set or two of .010 to put on but I haven't done it yet. Still working on building calluses with the .009s.
    Put new strings on it. Then do a normal setup. It might just be a flat spot on your strings from playing.

You should never judge the frets as being high or low while you've got old strings on.
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar_Mc View Post
    You should never judge the frets as being high or low while you've got old strings on.
    +1
    Kenny Belmont