Thread: Bang-for-buck effects

Bang-for-buck effects

I figgered you fine peoples might be able to give some advice here.

While I've been playing nearly two decades, I am really not that knowledgable about effects. Some stuff I have a vague notion of what it does but other stuff I haven't the foggiest.

I'd like to get some effects that I can really use with my band - stuff that will be more than a one-trick-pony type thing for one song. A friend of mine loaned me his mini Qtron for a while. I dug it a lot (who wouldn't?) but it didn't seem like something I'd use all that much realistically. I mean, you can't play every song with it, can you?

It's got to be cheap too. Let's set a limit right now of around $100.

Here's what I've got: Strat, Tele, Morley Bad Horsie wah, Fulldrive, Roland JC120 amp (there's my chorus and reverb).

I like the Bad Horsie's switchless thing but I'm not crazy about the sound. Same friend loaned me his Tease Picture wah and it knocked my socks off but I can't afford one right now.

So, I welcome suggestions as to what I might consider next. Thanks!

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace

Re: Bang-for-buck effects

Originally posted by curtisstetka

Here's what I've got: Strat, Tele, Morley Bad Horsie wah, Fulldrive, Roland JC120 amp (there's my chorus and reverb).

So, I welcome suggestions as to what I might consider next. Thanks!
    Sounds like your set up pretty good to me.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman
    Are you looking for some wacky sounds? Or just some enhancement type things?

You can't go wrong with your standard Dunlop Cry Baby Wah for about $69. I sometimes use mine to color my tone a bit with the pedal half way depressed. Of course it's classic for wah wah effect too. (since the Bad Horsie doesn't do it for ya)
    If you want to enhance your attack and sustain, especially for cleaner country style or dirty slide riffs, Lowell George and Duane Allman's secret weapon was the MXR Dyna Comp compressor (another $69 bucks).
    Some chorus pedals are able to emulate a rotary speaker (leslie). I like that effect if used sparingly (Dunlop Rotovibe or Danelectro Cool cat)
    Danelectro makes a ton of wacky effect pedals that you can get very cheap as well. I am not sure how practical some of that stuff is to use all the time (unless you want to sound like a psychedelic sitar guru for an entire set!!!)
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Thanks. Yeah, I suppose I am pretty well set up with the basics of overdrive, wah, chorus, and reverb. After a while though, one tends to get a bit restless, right?

I guess I'm looking for the next logical step. I'm not ever going to be the guy with 30 stompboxes but I figure something like 4 or 5 is the eventual goal.

Whacky sounds or enhancements? Well, eventually I'll be more into whacky. I do dig whacky a lot. But right now I'm not too keen on plunking down what limited cash I have on a box that gets turned on for all of 10 seconds during a 3 hour gig.

Forum Member
    I would go for a good delay pedal.