Thread: Bluegrass

Forum Member

Bluegrass

Does anyone know of good materials for learning Bluegrass? I prefer watching videos to reading books.

Also, any essential listening would be great! I listen to some, but would like to get into some more.

Thanks!

Re: Bluegrass

I went to a bluegrass jam to "sit in".....thinking "Its G-C-D....How tough can it be?!?!?"

MAN!!!!
    Did I get my ass kicked! There were some pretty serious players there!

I actually would be interested in this too, great question.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Forum Member

That is exactly why I want to study up on it. I have been invited to a regular jam, but I know I need to be prepared. I will probably go and listen a few times, but that will get old.

Go and listen for sure, AND ask questions.

You will prbably see a lot of guys with cheat notes on their guitars with 5th progressions, or turnarounds, etc. I noted that with some guys.

I had an acoustic bass, and it could barely be heard (Thank God), so I made it out fairly unscathed. If I had been on guitar, and had to take a turn.......it would not have been pretty.

The one I went to was hosted by David Bromberg, and they had 4 different groups of folks going through the place. I had a GREAT time listening, and noted that each circle of people were at slightly dfferent levels of competancy. But there were absolutely great players in each group.

I would be curious how the one is run where you are.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Forum Member

I will let you know how it goes. I believe it is pretty informal, but I know the folks there will be good. They go to various camps and stuff. I basically play nothing but blues. I have been getting a little bored with blues jams, so I am excited about the prosect of something new and challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratlover View Post
    ...Also, any essential listening would be great! I listen to some, but would like to get into some more...
    In my book, essential listening would be early Dillards stuff. If you ever watch the Andy Griffith show you probably know some of the songs, as The Dillards played the part of the Darling family on that show. The song "Dooley" is a favorite of mine. The best bluegrass song ever as far as I'm concerned.

Don't get to worked up over blazing solos. Bluegrass is more about keeping that groove working. It's got a rhythmic discipline that's as tough as any music short of Indian.

If you just stay on the safe notes and keep the rhythm intact your solo will be fine.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim