Thread: Thinking about getting a Jaguar...

Forum Member

Thinking about getting a Jaguar...

Hi, newbie here

I've been saving up for a new electric, and I was thinking about getting a Jaguar. Since the USA ones are expensive, I'm probably going to get a Fender Japan one.

What I want to know is, what makes a Jaguar so special? I've only really played with Strats and Teles, so I have no idea how the other models sound or feel like.

Also, if anyone could point me out as to which Jaguar model to get (Fender Japan), that would be great too ^_^
    Last edited by Ryuu; 07-29-2003 at 05:08 AM.

Forum Member
    Not trying to be a troll here, but honestly-nothing. Especially the Japanese ones. The guitar itself will be well made, but the pickups on even the high end ones are a bit shrill (alot of people assume they're like Strat pickups, but this is not true). That being said, a MIJ Jazzmaster with Seymour Duncan Jazzmaster pickups will give you a fuller sound yet similar to the Jag for a reasonable price and with all of the vibrato and switching features associated with those models. Also save yourself some headaches and get yourself an Allparts Mustang bridge for it so you won't have as bad a time with the vibrato. Good luck.

If you're used to Strats and Teles, you'll probably find the short scale Jaguar to be quite different. I had a MIJ 62RI Jaguar, and I just couldn't get into it, mainly due to the reduced sustain. It always felt a little strangled compared to Strats and Teles, and I ended up selling it even though I loved everything else about it - the vibe, etc.

I would recommend going to a local store and giving one a thorough try out before sinking any money into one.

I have a '68 Jaguar. A friend (who never got around to learning to play guitar) bought it back in the early 80s, then handed it over to me in 1985, saying "I never play it, you take it and play it." So I took it, and I've had it for 18 years... but I never play it.

Make SURE it's what ya want before ya get it.

TD

Forum Member

Jaguars are great but...

like Deneva said, "Make SURE it's what ya want before ya get it."

I have a 65 and a MIA reissue, and they're great guitars-- if you're into surf or related instrumental rock'n'roll genres.

Otherwise, I know they were popular a few years back 'cause of Kurt Cobain, and I gather they still appeal to Nirvana fans.

It's not uncommon for people to describe the pick-ups as "harsh" or "shrill". In my experience, the Pups on my MIA re-issue can be a little harsh at times, but my '65 is anything but-- the pickups have a nice mellow tone to them, maybe because of the aging of the magnet, who knows?

The Jaguar has a distinctive "plinky-plink" sort of twang, with very little sustain.

It can't be beat if you're plugged into a Twin Reverb playing "Out of Limits," but obviously, it shouldn't be your first choice if you wanna play Zeppelin or Allman Brothers or something.
    Last edited by rio45; 08-04-2003 at 06:42 PM.
    Rock often, rock hard

Re: Jaguars are great but...

Originally posted by rio45

The Jaguar has a distinctive "plinky-plink" sort of twang, with very little sustain.

You are right about the lack of sustain. I think a banjo has more sustain. But these are suck cool guitars. They have had one at a local shop for almost a year. It has just never found a home. I have played it several times. I have yet to figure out all the switches. The string mute is interesting as well. The short scale sure reduces string tension.

Just try and play one a fair bit before you take the leap. It would not be my choice if it was to be my only guitar, but if you have another main guitar like a Tele, Strat or LP it would be a cool addition to your collection.

brianf

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice guys ^_^

Guitars here in Japan are really expensive, not to mention I have to go out pretty far to actually try one -_-

Question: just how short is the scale?

SCALE LENGTH
    24" (610 mm)

TD

Forum Member

Hey Brianf...

If you're interested, my band is playing the Cadillac Lounge at Queen & Dufferin on Thursday Sept 4 and Thursday, Sept 11

In fact, now that I think about it, my '65 Jaguar will be "plugged into a Twin Reverb playing "Out of Limits" ...

I know you missed our thing at the Steamwhistle back in May. See about getting some Toronto members out, we'll have a blast!

By the way, there's a funny Jaguar at Songbird right now, a 62 neck on a 65 body, or vice versa... also, there's an all-original 1962 at Capsule, they're asking $3,300 Cdn, which I think is more than a bit steep, even if it is the first of production...
    Rock often, rock hard

Re: Hey Brianf...

Originally posted by rio45
    If you're interested, my band is playing the Cadillac Lounge at Queen & Dufferin on Thursday Sept 4 and Thursday, Sept 11

In fact, now that I think about it, my '65 Jaguar will be "plugged into a Twin Reverb playing "Out of Limits" ...

I know you missed our thing at the Steamwhistle back in May. See about getting some Toronto members out, we'll have a blast!

By the way, there's a funny Jaguar at Songbird right now, a 62 neck on a 65 body, or vice versa... also, there's an all-original 1962 at Capsule, they're asking $3,300 Cdn, which I think is more than a bit steep, even if it is the first of production...
    It would be nice to get a few folks together. My wife and I checked out Bolero's group about a month ago. It was a great set. I'll get in touch with you as the date draws near.

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

Re: Re: Hey Brianf...

Originally posted by brianf
    It would be nice to get a few folks together. My wife and I checked out Bolero's group about a month ago. It was a great set. I'll get in touch with you as the date draws near.

brianf
    Brian,
    If you're going to go on the 11th let me know. I'd be interested.
    DAMMIT !!!! I left the house........