Thread: Rockwood LX80 by Hohner... Oh Dear !

Rockwood LX80 by Hohner... Oh Dear !

Well, I saw this Tele clone in the local second hand shop and felt sorry for it ! - I bought it for £60 thinking I might use it as a project base but I think it would just be cheaper to buy a Squier CV Tele. It's got quite a nice maple neck with skunk stripe and the "proper" headstock shape but the nut looks like someone has been chewing it and the frets have all been filed down in a misguided effort make it more "playable" So- That's a new nut & a refret needed.

The body has a few chips in the paint and started life yellow, which has faded to quite an authentic mustard colour. It weighs a ton so having taken the neck & pickguard off I was keen to see what it was made of... and it's MDF or particle board. There is a huge rectangular cavity under the pickguard (obviously trying to keep the weight down and failing). So that's a new body needed as well.... Definitely cheaper to buy a CV tele.

Here's where it gets weird - It needs a new selector switch & probably new pots etc as well but after I'd put it back together, set it up & played it it actually didn't sound bad at all.

However - You have been warned !
    Last edited by Direstraits; 04-07-2009 at 03:18 AM.

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

Re: Rockwood LX80 by Hohner... Oh Dear !

I don't know - it sounds like that guitar has more wrong with it than right. Personally I'd rather cut my loss and dump it back out there.

I mean, for the cost of a good refret, you could buy a cheapy guitar that already had good frets.
    s'all goof.

Re: Rockwood LX80 by Hohner... Oh Dear !

Returned for a full refund. Common sense wins out for once!

edit: and I got a new Squier CV Tele. Nice !
    Last edited by Direstraits; 04-14-2009 at 01:36 PM.

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.