Thread: "Tone is in the neck!" LOL!

"Tone is in the neck!" LOL!

Um, it is with my Telecaster anyway. heh heh

My ash parts Telecaster has some Duncan Antiquity P90s in it and has a Fender Am Dlx neck with locking tuners. It's a real nice guitar and sounds pretty good but I was feeling like it sounded too bright.

So I ordered a Warmoth mahogany neck / rosewood board, and Gotoh slotted tuners and put it all together.

Wow! The bassiness filled out beautifully and the high notes stay real rich sounding! I'm so excited with the transformation!

Re: "Tone is in the neck!" LOL!

That's good news! It's really nice when you make an investment like that sort of hoping things work out and it does.

Did you opt for Warmoth's stainless steel frets?
    s'all goof.

No stainless. I got regular fretwire in their 6150 size. Plays real sweet!

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

It's what I been saying 4-ever. Everyone thinks I'm nuts but it makes complete sense. The strings vibrate over the neck and frets. And over that plastic PG only a little bit. They don't vibrate over the body wood at all. The bridge matters too though. And the PUs.

I'll see for myself when my 1" thick USACG boat neck shows up and I replace the thin neck on my Strat with it!

It seems all parts make a difference to a certain degree. But the degree of that difference seems to vary from guitar to guitar. It's kind of like, swapping pickups in one guitar makes a big difference to me and then when I try it in other guitars, those new pickups just make a little difference. it happened once or twice where it sounded worse!

Once, I changed from an Am Std thick Telecaster bridge to a vintage style one and that did make a big big difference. Not sure if it was better or not, but it was different.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I'll see for myself when my 1" thick USACG boat neck shows up and I replace the thin neck on my Strat with it!
    That's the neck I put on my USACG tele, and it's the nicest neck I've owned, for sure. I like thick and chunky, and the boatneck contour is very comfortable. I could go on forever about how amazing the tone is, but let's just leave it at "awesome."

I imagine you're gonna dig it. A lot.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

I have a gig tonight and the guitar is ready to rock so it will be interestig to hear it with the band all loud and screamin' and stuff.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

You'll be Godzilla with that fat tone - break a leg!

I've always thought that neck swaps had the most potential for changing the tone of a guitar.

It's something I noticed when I first started doing a lot of repairs and parts-caster builds.

I've got a Jackson neck that tends to improve the sound of any loaded body I've bolted it to.

I noticed a huge change when I replaced the Jackson neck with a much thicker Strat neck on one project.
    "Go Team Venture!"

Well, I just got home a short time ago and I have to try to stay awake for a little while so I sleep late tomorrow. There's another gig to play and I don't wanna wake up too early. So, the new neck sounds real good. The guitar is very alive and lively now and not so bright as it was before. I'll be using it.

I have a Strat that is finished in tung oil and when I play it I can feel the swamp ash body vibrate. I have Sperzel locking tuners and a big block Wilkinson trem, which I think enhance sustain but don't effect tone that much, I have a stock Strat too but the fore mentioned one is my #1.

btw/fwiw (AND I'VE SAID THIS MANY TIMES BEFORE)...
    my Cray neck was dead...or killed tone...so i switched to a maple USA 57 neck...BAM!...killer, livened up the tone 1000%

tought the tone thing was BS until i did it.
    now I BELIEVE!!!!
    Imanidiot.

I've found too that a neck can make an almost unplayable, tone-wise guitar most pleasing! I never played many maple necked instruments until I bought my Strat... now I have a CV Tele with maple and I love the tone they both have... very lively and not at all dark sounding as some describe a rosewood or ebony fretboard which I own several guitars that feature that type.

I never noticed much difference in fretboard wood so much as I have in neck wood. For me, rosewood is less expensive when it's time to refret the guitar so that's why I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka View Post
    That's good news! It's really nice when you make an investment like that sort of hoping things work out and it does.

Did you opt for Warmoth's stainless steel frets?
    I've never played a guitar with stainless steel frets. Wouldn't it sound terribly bright and sharp? Or is that not the case?

I would have to seriously doubt that stainless steel is any different in sound than nickel.