Thread: Jimmie Vaughan Tex-Mex pup's & wiring???

Forum Member

Jimmie Vaughan Tex-Mex pup's & wiring???

Okay, I know these strats come with the Tex-Mex pickups and I've heard several people rave about the good tone, but I have a feeling that the wiring has a good deal to do with it. Apparently the bridge p'up is wired to the back tone control instead of the middle p'up, but what I'm not sure about is whether or not the back tone control has its own capacitor or does it share the one capacitor like a stock strat? I've always felt that strat bridge pickups needed the tone control the most, but I've never tried wiring one this way.

Re: Jimmie Vaughan Tex-Mex pup's & wiring???

Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

Forum Member

Most excellent! Thank you sir. I might try a hybrid of this and the Yngwie wiring, but with a smaller value cap for the bridge and no tone control for the middle.

i usually run a tone knob on the neck and bridge(respectively), in fenders i normally use a .047 or so. i never run one on the middle, i like it without.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by ragtweed View Post
    Okay, I know these strats come with the Tex-Mex pickups and I've heard several people rave about the good tone, but I have a feeling that the wiring has a good deal to do with it. Apparently the bridge p'up is wired to the back tone control instead of the middle p'up, but what I'm not sure about is whether or not the back tone control has its own capacitor or does it share the one capacitor like a stock strat? I've always felt that strat bridge pickups needed the tone control the most, but I've never tried wiring one this way.
    I kept the wiring, but changed the PUP's to Rio Grande calibrated set. Much better sounding in every position.