Thread: In Ear Monitors

In Ear Monitors

My bandmates have decided to use a combination of modelers and DI to run everything direct into the PA (yeah, I know - sent 'em a 3000 word essay via email on the pros and cons of taking this approach, but I think they've got a case of "old guy syndrome" and they're bound and determined to try this). As a result, our already low stage volume has dropped to damn near inaudible, and where the guitars are concerned, completely inaudible for me. Everybody else swears they can hear everything just fine through the monitors so I'm chalking it up to the fact that I do have some hearing loss with chronic tinnitus and it may actually be an adequate volume for someone who hasn't spent the last 40 years being a weekend warrior in loud rock 'n roll bands.

The fact remains that I can't hear what I'm playing. So, I'm looking at personal In-ear monitoring so I can get a monitor mix level that I can actually hear. I'd really like to get some opinions on what in ear systems are decent for less than $700. Keep in mind I'm gonna need the whole kit - transmitter, receiver and ear buds.

Lemme know what you're using, have used, and what you liked.
    If I shoot at mimes, should I use a silencer?

TFF Stage Crew

Re: In Ear Monitors

Shure PSM. My band uses them. We have three transmitters and we each have our own receiver pack. All of those are wireless except for the drummer's who has a wired pack. Thus we have four separate monitor mixes for the six of us to choose between. I love them and absolutely swear by them. Most of us have the E2 earphones that came with the receiver packs, but the singer did also buy a set of the E3 headphones (which are now called SLC5 I think) that have the dual drivers in them, but that was a preference thing on his part.

We use the PSM-200 (P2T "transmixer" transmitter and P2R receiver). Together the two are $600 at M.F. and most other places I've seen.