Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who Still Plays LOUD?

Re: Who Still Plays LOUD?

I've used one before, and for freaks like me who need to play a breaking up 20 watt amp it's a saviour! The sound guy didn't seem to like it even though it was his boss's rig. He was one of those "I've been playing guitar for 30 years and that whole cranked amp thing is bullshit!". Uh, what?

I'm okay with people not wanting to play loud -really! I was in a band that required everyone having a really low stage volume, and I used an OD pedal and kept my volume low. I wasn't going to be playing feedback jams or any sick shredding.

Was I crazy about the tone when playing low and more volume actually coming out of the monitors than my amp? No, but that was my gig at the time.
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

I will set my amp up so the speaker is facing the back wall, basically using it as a shield or beam blocker. Then mic close to the speaker.

It's really interesting when you're using a Tweed amp like this; all of a sudden you can understand why the controls are on the top and the lettering is writen so as to be read from behind. Must have been the way Leo envisioned it being done from the beginning.

When I'm using a head/cab setup, I typically turn the cab around to face the wall, or turn it to face the opposite side of the stage. It's better to kill a drummer and bass player than an audience member. I mean, drummers and bass players never really hear the guitar anyway.
    POO DAT!!!

TFF Stage Crew

Here's some pix:

A mike inside plexi does sound more compressed, Pink Floyd uses this as a part of their sound, at least that is what I have read, but as Gris said I am just a club player there is a lot I don't know.

Thanks pc! So 4 hinges do the trick for this \___/ setup? Cool!

By the way check pc's web site and his music, the man can play.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
    Thanks pc! So 4 hinges do the trick for this \___/ setup? Cool!

Yeah, and I'm sure there's probably cooler hinges than what I used--mine were like $1.00 apiece at Lowe's. The only issue I had was that even with the flathead screws, I had to stagger them on each hinge or the short sides wouldn't fold completely flat because the tops of the screws bumped into each other.

In other words each hinge has two bolt-holes on each side. I bolted in the top left side to the long piece of Plexi and the bottom right to the short piece. So for 4 hinges I'm only using 8 nuts/bolts instead of 16.

thegeezer--thank you!

If I was putting Plexiglas in front of my amp, I'd probably paint it with a design or logo.

Quote Originally Posted by thegeezer View Post
    By the way check pc's web site and his music, the man can play.
    He most certainly can!
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by juniorspecial View Post
    If I was putting Plexiglas in front of my amp, I'd probably paint it with a design or logo.

One of my band members is working on that using our band's logo.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by refin View Post
    He most certainly can!
    Thank you Refin. And hopefully everyone reading this thread knows they can skip right over my stuff and get to yours for some true enjoyment!

Also people should check out the links in Franklin's signature, he's a monster player as well.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

This plexi glass fix is just too good and cheap to be true! Can't wait to try it. thanks PC

TFF Stage Crew

Please let me know--both you and Franklin. I want to know how it works for other people. I can tell you my band was certainly appreciative of it last night because, I mean you know, you really have to turn those Marshall amps up to sound good.

In all seriousness we were playing at a REALLY upscale place in town called "Martini Park," so being too loud is definitely the wrong thing there. This is also one of the places where we have to use their own sound gear--in fact, we have to use their own drum kit too--so it's wedge monitors instead of our IEMs. (Lots of rules at this place but it's worth it b/c they pay $800 on weeknights for a 8 p.m. to midnight gig).

Anyway, there was plenty of volume onstage for me and the others to hear, but not one complaint from the sound guy or the management.

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    This plexi glass fix is just too good and cheap to be true! Can't wait to try it. thanks PC
    I know, but the one time I used them they were running two Super Reverbs and they were pretty loud. It really diffused the sound well. Now we need to put every loud drummer behind one of these....

Thanks pc!

Drummers eh?...can't live with them,can't live without them !!

I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Check out many stages on tours, DVDs, or TV shows and you'll the drummer surrounded by Plexi.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    Check out many stages on tours, DVDs, or TV shows and you'll the drummer surrounded by Plexi.
    That's where I first saw them, but I don't remember what band had it. I thought "Shouldn't they be taller to be able to kill those cymals".

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    That's right! Come to think of it SEVERAL years ago I was onstage (just hanging) with Charlie Daniels during a stadium show and his then young kid drummer (LOUD) was behind a wall of it.

On the comeback [Maria] tour, Clem Burke from Blondie was behind a wall of plexi. He looked like he needed it. He was bashing hard....and sounding excellent.

Jimmy Destri was the only guy who looked like he hadn't kept playing.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks