Thread: where can I find info on strat/tele body style changes?

where can I find info on strat/tele body style changes?

I've read a few posts where people have talked about '54 strat body shapes, and '57 body shapes, etc. but to me every strat body looks THE SAME!!!

:wah

is there a webpage/resource out there that explains all this stuff? how does a '54 body differ from a '57/'63/'66/'68 etc & how can you tell by looking at it?

thx!
    "evil men make you kill me,
    evil men make me kill you;
    even though we’re only families apart..."

Forum Member
    I think they are subtle differences having to do with the amount of scoop in the sculpted areas and the various types of wood that were used (which would yield various tonal characteristics and weights). The neck stock changed a bit too over the years. But I'm probably wrong.

You might try contacting these guys. If anyone would know they would.

bodies

my Warmoth walnut hollow body Strat

Last edited by Algernon; 07-25-2003 at 03:56 AM.

It seems like the belly cut and arm cut were deepest and smoothest in the '50's. I've got a '57 that's curvy as hell. Feels real nice.

A friend had a '79 or so hardtail Strat with hardly any belly cut or arm cut at all.

I don't think the Strat's overall body shape changed.

In the '70's the Telecaster's shape changed slightly (on the bass side, where the neck met the body) because of the limitations of Fenders new CNC machines. Plus the edges softened somewhat over the years.

There's a book that covers this. I have it at home, but can't remember the name of it. I'll try to post it tonight.

This may be of some help to you..... "Vintage Fender Info's" http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html

Lotsa good pop here.

Hammer on......Blair

Check out The Fender Stratocaster and The Fender Telecaster by A.R. Duchossoir.

TFF Stage Crew
    Originally posted by Don
    Check out The Fender Stratocaster and The Fender Telecaster by A.R. Duchossoir.
    Those are great books, although he's missing info on some stuff; not incorrect, just missing. For example: All the pre-CBS Strats I've ever seen had a 1/2" radius on the body (the "edge", if you will). Recent Fenders & RI Strats only have a radius of 3/8" & some older ('80s) RIs were even less. If this sounds nit-picky, it's not when you see an old one & and new one side by side. The Time Machines are better, but why should you have to pay a premium for something that's only done the way it's supposed to be done? Contours are as described: Dramatic toward the end of the '50s, somewhat less severe in the early '60s & then consistent until about '64, & then they gradually diminish until they're almost GONE in the mid-late '70s. Tokai & Fernandez copies had better contours than the American RI series. The Fender MIJ bodies are also dead-on, although poly finished.

My '57's body is very fluid looking. It feels very sexy.

The newer guitars don't have the same vibe.

It might be the CNC machines that are used.

They leave a transition between flat areas and curves that can be felt and can even be seen if you tip the guitar under light. They're just made too perfectly.

I have absolutely nothing against CNC machined guitar parts, but a little hand sanding could make them look and feel a lot more organic.
    Last edited by Don; 07-26-2003 at 06:04 AM.

TFF Stage Crew
    Originally posted by Don
    It might be the CNC machines that are used.
    They leave a transition between flat areas and curves that can be felt and can even be seen if you tip the guitar under light. They're just made too perfectly. I have absolutely nothing against CNC machined guitar parts, but a little hand sanding could make them look and feel a lot more organic.
    I agree. But when you're making a bazillion guitars that kind of attention to detail falls through the cracks.

Originally posted by 71818
    I agree. But when you're making a bazillion guitars that kind of attention to detail falls through the cracks.
    True.

Gibson and Fender are in danger of becoming similar to the conglomerates that once owned them!

TFF Stage Crew
    Originally posted by Don
    True.

Gibson and Fender are in danger of becoming similar to the conglomerates that once owned them!
    TOO LATE! D'oh! Let's just be happy that they both have departments now that are at least trying to make 'em like they used to, even though they don't price 'em like they used to!

Hi Bolero;

If you go to the Chapters at 403 and #5 there is a book with a light blue color all about Fender product. It goes into very detailed coverage of how body shapes changed over the years. I should be out there Mon. or Tues. I'll see if it is still there.

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!