Thread: Tremolo problems

Forum Member

Tremolo problems

I installed Hipshot trem along with LSR Nut and Sperzels on my Warmoth project. Well, I lubricated everything on the string path and the tremolo contact points. But still when I bend with a tremolo even a 1/2 tone up all strings going sharp (about 30-40 cents on low E, 20-30 on G and 10-20 on B). If I dive a whole tone down it goes back in tune. When you have a nut problem strings go flat after a bending, so it's not the case. Besides it works fine when I use regular bends. I guess whe problem could be with the tremolo itself - where the ball-ends meet the block or the place where string touches the plate. I setup tremolo so it would go up a bit more then 3 semitones on G string - may be Hipshot just not suited for that setup. I have another strat with Am.Std tremolo and it works fine - only two lower strings go out of tune for about 5 cents up and down - it's ok for that kind of tremolo I guess. So now I'm thinking about changing to Am.Std, but I don't know If it will help and I don't know how to remove the bushings out of the body. Does anybody else experienced problems with Hipshot or have some tips on the problem?
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Tremolo problems

Did you install a Tremsetter with the Hipshot? Also, you are really out of the range of a that style trem at three semis. You'd be better of with a Kahler or Rose and a locking nut. The Strat Syncro trem and its clones are desinged for vibrato, not divebombing.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Thanks for reply.

I do not want to install tremsetter. Am.Std. works fine with 3 semis, Schaller works fine as Gotoh 510 does. I wanted a Hipshot because of it's bearings pivot points, but I guess it was my mistake.

I've used all sorts - and have settled on a Wilkinson two point fulcrum - it's fine for vibrato and subtle diving... the best trem I've ever had was on - believe it or not - a mid 80's Westone Spectrum SX - threw the fine tune screws and locking nut away - plenty of pencil on an already graphite impregnated nut - no string trees - but a key ingredient was the strings - .009-.046 Rotosounds or D'Addarios... I found that set to be the most stable... with regard to the pitching of the strings in relation to each other - experimentation with string gauges might be worth a try...

There's no general panacea for trem problems of this nature - but your approach should be purely mechanical - and in my experience the most crucial point in a trem system - or any guitar for that matter - where tuning is concerned - is the nut... and the angle that the strings pass over it. On guitars without a trem - say ones with a tun-o-matic type bridge and a tailpiece - angles again come into play. On guitars with trem units I routinely remove all string trees and use Sperzel lockers... the two tallest nearest the nut, the next two decending in height for the D & G strings etc...

I can't offer any specific advice about the Hipshot trem - though I've had a look at the puny photos of them on their website and the dimensional info PDF - am I correct in saying this is a fulcrum type device? If so then try rubbing pencil lead (graphite) on any parts where the strings may catch... including and most importantly on the nut - I've been doing this on all of my guitars - no matter what material or type of nut they may have - and found this to be a key ingredient to stable tuning in general. Also if the Hipshot unit is brand new you may find the strings are catching on the very edge of the bridge pieces - again get as much pencil lead rubbed on at those points as you can - as the unit wears in you may find that the combination of using graphite to lubricate these points and continual wear will result in smoother operation in time... Good luck with it
    Last edited by yankeerob; 02-15-2009 at 04:01 AM.
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......