Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What made Page's Tele so special?

Re: What made Page's Tele so special?

The relative scarcity of Page's Tele, rarely, if ever, seen beyond some very early LZ concert pics, make it seem pretty special too.

It's kind of a Yeti among Telecasters.

Mostly, I think it's as Kap'n described in his 1st post in this thread.

Jim Campilongo uses a '59 toploader Tele, but sounds nothing like Page.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Microphone placement had something to do with it as well. Moving the mic around can make more of a difference in tone than most people realize. Jimmy understood mic placement which is why Bonzo's kit sounded so huge too.
    VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Fripperton View Post
    Microphone placement had something to do with it as well. Moving the mic around can make more of a difference in tone than most people realize. Jimmy understood mic placement which is why Bonzo's kit sounded so huge too.
    Yeah.... he sure did! I have read that many of the micing techniques that were employed on Bonzo's kit were merely a very large room, two overheads and maybe a kick mic! I've tried this on a few occasions and it's amazing just how well this micing technique works. Obviously "low tech" but the results can be amazing! I've done this with guitar too with varying degrees of success too.

Gravity Jim

Credit Where Credit Is Due Department:

Eddie Kramer engineered those massive Led-filled guitar and drum sounds, and the room itself had much to do with it. Let's not start another Interweb legend about Jimmy Page's mastery.

Are you saying all the stuff my buddy Fish scribbled on his notebooks in high school was not completely accurate?
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

I recall reading many, man, many years ago in an ancient Guitar Player mag article that they recorded the early Zep LPs using a mic close up on the speaker, and another waaaaaaaaay back in the nether reaches of the very large room. Kind of made a natural delay and a very interesting "live" sound.

Paul

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by silent j. View Post

Eddie Kramer engineered those massive Led-filled guitar and drum sounds, and the room itself had much to do with it. Let's not start another Interweb legend about Jimmy Page's mastery.
    Check out the new DVD "It Might Get Loud." Jimmy goes back to where some of those classic recordings were made and explains the mic placement techniques they used as well as his guitar/FX set-up.

He even demonstrates how he got his guitar sound and A/Bs it against the non-effected signal.

Oh yeah, the Jack White bits aren't too shabby either.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    Check out the new DVD "It Might Get Loud." Jimmy goes back to where some of those classic recordings were made and explains the mic placement techniques they used as well as his guitar/FX set-up.

He even demonstrates how he got his guitar sound and A/Bs it against the non-effected signal.

Oh yeah, the Jack White bits aren't too shabby either.
    I'm surprised this thread is still going! Well, it is a topic that defianatley intrigues us. I really would like to check out that DVD one of these days.

Forum Member

This is a photo of Jimmy onstage on Sept 7, 1968 (Zep's first Gig as The New Yardbirds) with the guitar he would later record LZ1 later that month.

Jimmy also used the Danelectro (on Babe I'm Gonna Leave you). The amp was the famous Supro and he used a Tonebender pedal. He also recorded parts of song direct inject to the console. (The high parts of the Dazed and Confused for example). Along with .08 -.38 Ernie Ball strings

Forum Member

Eddie Kramer = Engineer
    Jimmy Page =PRODUCER

And Eddie didn't engineer Physical Gaffitti where those remarkable drum sounds of In My Time of Dying and Kashimir are found and there is Achilles Last Stand of which Eddie didn't engineer.............

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sixpense View Post
    Eddie Kramer = Engineer
    Jimmy Page =PRODUCER

And Eddie didn't engineer Physical Gaffitti where those remarkable drum sounds of In My Time of Dying and Kashimir are found and there is Achilles Last Stand of which Eddie didn't engineer.............
    Oh, let's see here Eddie Kramer engineered The Rover, Houses Of the Holy and Black Country Woman, all from Physical Graffitti, did the entire LZ II and Houses Of the Holy album and The Song Remains The Same soundtrack plus others I'm sure. Another favorite LZ Engineer was Andy Johns who probably recorded Zep about as much as Kramer did.

Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Sixpense View Post
    Eddie Kramer = Engineer
    Jimmy Page =PRODUCER

FIne. If you want believe for some reason that Jimmy Page told Eddie Kramer how to make those sounds, go ahead. My money is on Kramer.

Can an argument get any more ridiculous?

Any good studio tech will tell you that gear is useless without a talented musician.

Repeat after me: Tone is in the fingers and the guitarist.. period.

Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by blewgrass View Post
    Any good studio tech will tell you that gear is useless without a talented musician.

Repeat after me: Tone is in the fingers and the guitarist.. period.
    On the contrary... no good studio tech will tell you that.... exactly. Obviously, gear doesn't make music by itself. But....

You can record John Bonham at my place and it won't sound like Led Zep 4. I can guarantee than it will NEVER sound like that.

Now, I agree on the "tone is in the fingers" thing when you're talking about the sound a given musician makes: you can stand in the same same room with John Bonham, and no matter where he's playing, or what kit, he'll probably sound a lot like John Bonham.

But what goes on tape is not what human hearing perceives in the room.

Forum Member

Puuleeze, Bonham sounds like Bonham no matter who recorded him. Listen to the BBC recordings of Zeppelin, some of the most killer, energetic and huge sounding Zep drums ever with no Kramer, Johns's, or other hip engineers of the time involved at all. I've got bootleg recordings of Zeppelins first tour that were recorded from the board that show the impact and the force that was Led Zeppelin and it was probably some stoned Berkelee college hippy recording for extra credit or what have you.

Forum Member

I lost my belief in the "typical Les Paul sound"when I found out that the solo in Stairway to Heaven was recorded with a Telecaster and Albatross with a Stratocaster.

FIne. If you want believe for some reason that Jimmy Page told Eddie Kramer how to make those sounds, go ahead. My money is on Kramer.
    Me too since Kramer did alot of stuff for Jimi also.

Just a stock Tele and Jimi used Stock Strats.

The guitar itself had very little if anything to do with the tone either Jimi or Page could have done those on any Stock Tele or Strat from that era.

Nobody is denying that EK is a talented studio tech. ... as was George Martin (arguably much more of a pioneer), Alan Parsonss, and dozens of others who "were there" when it was all going down.

The room, acoustics, treatments are most of what you hear in these old recordings. when I hear "Layla, Beatles White Album, Hendrix, Beach Boys", I hear very similar room and tracking techniques. The Beatles were in awe of Brian Wilson's imagination on Endless Summer.

Do I think Led Zep recordings sound cool? Sure. Are they leaps and bounds better than the other supergroups of the era... no

Over on Gearslutz.com, there has been pages and pages devoted to Bonham's drum sounds... the boom, the presence, the wonderful attack, and room miking techniques... It's awesome. I have to confess that the more "slop fill" pumped sound of Ringo's drums created by the fairchild compressor/leveling amp are by far my favorite drum sound, which IMO Alan Parsons expanded upon for Nick Mason's drum kit in Pink Floyd records like Dark Side. It makes sense since Alan is an Abbey Road alumni...

.02 is always available around these parts...

Cheers

Forum Member

Ringo had beautiful drum sounds and came up with his own unorthodox techniques that later drummers such as Nick Mason, Jim Keltner and other studio drummers had to learn because that's what the engineers wanted. Another drummer with the heavy hand of studio compressors laid upon his tracks was Mitch Mitchell and it worked wonderful for his sounds. One thing about Bonham was his tuning of his kit and his cymbal selection minimized the need for very much compression to get a balanced sound. But they did like to compress some of his crash cymbals so that Paiste zing would carry on a few extra bars when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Slammintone View Post
    Ringo had beautiful drum sounds and came up with his own unorthodox techniques that later drummers such as Nick Mason, Jim Keltner and other studio drummers had to learn because that's what the engineers wanted.
    I miss that era. Back when drummers played songs, and not just beats.

Modern folks slag Ringo because his composed parts don't fit into the modern concept of drummer as drum machine.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Slammintone View Post
    Looking for pictures of the Dragon Tele used in the Yardbirds and early Zep by Page I found this. http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/Gea...x?Item=1651258
    Now that's pretty freakin cool!
    I'm in the process of building a dragon tele. Check this threads to follow the build process:

http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=43588

Pics coming soon...

tbof

Forum Member

Funny that Mitch Michell nor Peter Criss from Kiss never got those sounds. (Yes Eddie was the Engineer)

You can't copy Bonzo.

Rent the DVD It Might Get Loud and Jimmy Page will show you how and where he got When The Levee Breaks drum sound.

Forum Member

My last post on this issue. Eddie Kramer speaks. Pay close attention to what he says about Page as Producer and (surprisingly) drummer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XarhX...eature=related

Mr Page along with a few other british gitar players/producers simply were awesome.......

Forum Member

Nothing.

Forum Member

I suspect that Page could get great tone from a wash tub and broom handle guitar.The sad fact is that 99% of us could not get close to his tome even if we had his rig.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    Willie Dixon, Jake Holmes, Randy California, Muddy Waters, among others.
    You mean who he stole songs from, don't youz?? Most over-rated player in history. Perfect example of right place at the right time.

CT.

Quote Originally Posted by CocoTone View Post
    Most over-rated player in history. Perfect example of right place at the right time.

CT.

Hey, it's a Clapton thread now?

I keed; dig plenty of EC
    Last edited by hudpucker; 06-23-2010 at 04:41 PM.
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...