Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Obama's here!!

Forum Member

Obama's here!!

I'm just glad I don't need to be at the airport or downtown today. When the VP was here a couple of years ago he tied up traffic at the airport for 45 minutes BEFORE his motorcade actually came by. If he gets me a job, I guess it's worth it.

The great thing about his visit is they had a line for two days for the free tickets and gave out 250. The problem is the venue will hold several thousand, so where are the rest of the tickets? Oh, they're on Craigslist going for $1000 a pop.........

Re: Obama's here!!

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamrose View Post
    The great thing about his visit is they had a line for two days for the free tickets and gave out 250. The problem is the venue will hold several thousand, so where are the rest of the tickets? Oh, they're on Craigslist going for $1000 a pop.........
    I guess you might call CL scalping a form of job creation.

But it's refreshing that the prez's audiences will no longer be hand-picked and pre-screened for loyalty.
    It's downright American.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamrose View Post
    If he gets me a job, I guess it's worth it.
    Ayup......millions in this country believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa, an' the Tooth Fairy too.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

He is our President and should be treated with respect, he didn't create this economy the other team did.
    Jerry

Obama is coming here (Ottawa, Canada) in a few weeks, but only for about 8 hours. Just enough time to freeze his arse off and calm fears that he might invoke protectionist trade legislation that would hurt Canada (he says he won't).

I like the guy. He might be just what you (and because of this economic crisis, us too) need at this time.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Quote Originally Posted by thegeezer View Post
    He is our President and should be treated with respect, he didn't create this economy the other team did.
    Jerry
    Be sure to put some fresh lip gloss on before you stoop to kiss his ring.

Quote Originally Posted by thegeezer View Post
    Jerry

Uhhhhh, Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Chris Dodd, and Barney Frank are on his team. I believe that they may have had a thing or two to do with the way the economy has turned. Just sayin'.

Oh yeah, one more thing...When you say we should respect HIM, do you mean just like the left "respected" W?
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by flintpunk View Post
    Oh yeah, one more thing...When you say we should respect HIM, do you mean just like the left "respected" W?
    I'd have shown up and offered him plenty of respect had his "public" appearances actually been open to the public.
    Respect goes both ways. He showed little for most of us.
    Elvis Costello

W had a public appearance here at the Pontiac Silverdome...All were welcome until tics were gone. I'm not sure why you say he wasn't available in public. He used to call on Helen Thomas regularly in his press conferences as well. I don't think he hid anything that didn't concern national security. I'm sure ymmv.
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

Ouch! I am curious to hear the responses to this one. I am not American and I was not a fan of George Bush, but I got really really tired of the way in which many liberals (I consider myself mostly liberal) attacked Bush and the Republicans. It went far beyond legitimate political criticism and spilled over into everything and anything.

Also, as a Christian, I got really discouraged by the constant attacks on my faith, as if we were all the same. Well, Obama is Christian and I have paid close attention to his citations of scripture, however indirect, and his references to God in speeches. I love what he has to say. Yet I have not heard a PEEP from anti-religious liberals on any of this. A cynic would conclude that some liberals blame all Christians for everything and tar us all with the same brush when it benefits them politically, but when a liberal Christian is in office, they argue (quite correctly) that not all Christians are the same.

Bush wasn't my favorite president, but I think he was terribly disrespected.

Christianity is attacked by the left in this country because I believe they think that institutions promoting morality are a threat to one of the left's "sacraments"...the right to have an abortion. The left here also thinks that we should be free from any judgement. What they don't realize is that good Christians aren't the ones doing the judging.

I think I may have already said too much. I'm done on this one.

Thank goodness.

Somebody start the clock...
    Master of Disaster on the Stratocaster

TFF Stage Crew

The clock has left the building

tick tick tick ...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    but when a liberal Christian is in office, they argue (quite correctly) that not all Christians are the same.
    I would argue that that's true, regardless.
    And not all athiests are the same either.

The classification doesn't guarantee anything, except that a certain segment of the population will be able to point to it and find a simple comfort in assuming they have a clue what it means.

Elected officials who were Christians go back pretty far in our history.
    They weren't all the same.
    Elvis Costello

C'mon! You guys are such pessimists.

After the messiah buys that shmuck a car an' remodels that dame's bathroom, I'm hopin' he'll hepp me find that puppy I lost back in '62......

He used to call on Helen Thomas regularly in his press conferences as well.
    It's a tradition. George Washington used to call on Helen Thomas first too.
    s'all goof.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Ayup......millions in this country believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa, an' the Tooth Fairy too.
    I'm not holding my breath. If I have something in my field by this time next year I'll feel pretty fortunate.

The most stimulating thing the federal government can do is to reduce taxes substantially. I don't believe the government can take tax money out of the economy, waste a large percentage of it and put the rest back into the economy with any good long term results. It's even worse when they have to borrow (or print) the money they're using as a stimulus. Isn't borrowing large sums of money that can't possibly be paid back how we got in this mess to begin with?

The most efficient thing they can do is leave as much money as possible in peoples' pockets so they can spend it..........Bill

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by 71818 View Post
    The clock has left the building

Forum Member

Isn't borrowing large sums of money that can't possibly be paid back how we got in this mess to begin with?
    That plus Greed, Coruption a war that can't be won and a gov't that turned a blind eye to it all.
    Not just Bush but every president since I've been around has had there dirty dealings with the exception of Carter. I felt he was pretty honest. But whose to know.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post
    And not all athiests are the same either.
    The best thing about athiesm is there isn't any weekly meetings.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

The worst thing about atheism is there aren't any weekly meetings.

The UK. Not all of it mind, just a bit of it.

The odd thing about agnostism is that we're not sure if there are any weekly meetings
    'Alton Towers - Where the magic never ends', or so the commercial says. Imagine my disappointment when it closed at 7.30

Did you hear about the Insomniac Agnostic with Dislexia who used to lay awake at night wondering if there really was a dog ?
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Uhhhhh, Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Chris Dodd, and Barney Frank are on his team. I believe that they may have had a thing or two to do with the way the economy has turned. Just sayin'.

Don't forget that Denny Hastert, Trent Lott, Bill Frist, Mitch McConnell et al aren't exactly blameless regarding our current mess. In fact, except for the Senate from 2001-2003, Republicans controlled Congress from 1994-2006.

The party of National Deficit.

Don't get me wrong though...I'm no fan of Pelosi or Reid.
    Last edited by hudpucker; 02-10-2009 at 04:58 PM.
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
    The worst thing about atheism is there aren't any weekly meetings.
    Well, for an organizational standpoint, I guess. Athiesm will never be a threat to whatever organized religion dominates a culture, because there is no organization. And anybody who tries to organize athiests is a tool. just on general principles.

It will, however, be a boogie man used to foist bullshit upon an unsuspecting populace.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Kap'n,
    Nothing like injecting logic into what was intended to be a joke on a far-too-serious thread.

Lighten up, peeps!

I too lived through the Nixon/Ford/Carter etc inflation drenched 70's.
    We're here again, and it's time to turn off the boob tube and pick up whatever makes you mojo. Chain saws work great sometimes...or whatever axe you are good at.

no point.

BUH-BYE!!!
    good thing they have internet in canada

I don't remember ever seeing a significant tax cut and I'm 56 years old. It's never been done as far as I know. These little $600, $1200 rebates are meaningless. What needs to happen is a 50% tax cut along with whatever downsizing, salary reductions and program elimination that dictates. The federal government is sucking the economy dry and it needs to stop. It's what every struggling company is faced with because they can't just borrow like there's no tomorrow.

It's no wonder people spend money they'll never have, they learned it from Uncle Sam..........
    not to continue this argument, but income taxes on the highest income level were cut from 50% to 30% after the clinton administration. Just saying.
    Last edited by redb; 02-10-2009 at 08:03 PM.
    Mitch Mitchell talking about Jimi and strats in general.
    If the walrus is Paul then who is Carmen Sandiego?

Quote Originally Posted by redb View Post
    and I am leaving this shit hole country as soon as possible so I can escape the atomic bomb everyone who was old enough to vote in 2001 has left for me and my peers.

Winnepeg, here I come baby!
    BUH-BYE!!!

TFF Stage Crew

It's okay. He'll be back under many different names.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by redb View Post
    The economist just published an article that shows the multiplier effect of certain policies and government spending is SIGNIFIGANTLY more effective than tax cuts.
    I don't remember ever seeing a significant tax cut and I'm 56 years old. It's never been done as far as I know. These little $600, $1200 rebates are meaningless. What needs to happen is a 50% tax cut along with whatever downsizing, salary reductions and program elimination that dictates. The federal government is sucking the economy dry and it needs to stop. It's what every struggling company is faced with because they can't just borrow like there's no tomorrow.

It's no wonder people spend money they'll never have, they learned it from Uncle Sam..........

Anyone who wants to run away from home and live in Winnipeg should really really really consult the weatherman first. Look at some average temps. Bring lots of long underwear. Oh, and in the SUMMER? Stinking hot, humid, and full of mosquitoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    The best thing about athiesm is there isn't any weekly meetings.
    I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member.
    Elvis Costello

"Be sure to put some fresh lip gloss on before you stoop to kiss his ring".
    Is there a problem with respecting people, I can see why things won't change.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by hudpucker View Post
    Don't forget that Denny Hastert, Trent Lott, Bill Frist, Mitch McConnell et al aren't exactly blameless regarding our current mess. In fact, except for the Senate from 2001-2003, Republicans controlled Congress from 1994-2006.

The party of National Deficit.
    You're preachin' to the choir, Brotha!
    In fact after 2002, I stopped considering myself a Republican and now call myself a Conservative. I'd probably get behind a good Libertarian candidate (even at the grass roots level) if I ever thought they had a chance of winning!

The Repubs have totally let me down.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

You're preachin' to the choir, Brotha!
    In fact after 2002, I stopped considering myself a Republican and now call myself a Conservative. I'd probably get behind a good Libertarian candidate (even at the grass roots level) if I ever thought they had a chance of winning!

The Repubs have totally let me down.

Ditto!
    Mark

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

As far as Obama, lets see what he does. So far he has mainly brought in old school libs for his cabinet. Oops spent 250 large without oversight. Not much change there. Oh wait, he did have the record number of nominees that had to bail out due to tax fraud.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    I love what he has to say. Yet I have not heard a PEEP from anti-religious liberals on any of this. A cynic would conclude that some liberals blame all Christians for everything and tar us all with the same brush when it benefits them politically, but when a liberal Christian is in office, they argue (quite correctly) that not all Christians are the same.
    Well, I for one will be on him like white on rice as soon as he makes any of the following statements:

"It's God's will that we pass this bill"
    "God guides my decisions"
    "Power don't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes from lying. Lying big and gettin' the whole damn world to play along with you. Once you've got everybody agreeing with what they know in their hearts ain't true, you've got 'em by the balls."
    Senator Roark - Sin City

Neo, I feel the same way. I wouldn't join any club that would have you as a member.

Just kiddin', but dang, I couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by grito View Post
    Well, I for one will be on him like white on rice as soon as he makes any of the following statements:

"It's God's will that we pass this bill"
    "God guides my decisions"
    What I think I hear you saying is that you hope Obama does not use his religious views as some kind of trump card and on that, I strongly agree with you. Too many religious people think that their ideas should be beyond reproach simply because they are expressed in religious terms. I won't pretend to know the mind of God but I am pretty sure that making war and killing people because it is the will of God is DEFINITELY not the will of God.

I hope that God will guide Obama's decisions because my faith tells me that God is just, compassionate, and merciful. I think Obama sees God in pretty much the same way me and many other Christians (and Jews and others).

Here are two different statements:

1) It is God's will that some people are poor.
    2) It is God's will that we all work together and share in such a way that all are raised up and can live a decent life.

I have heard both from "religious" people, but I am going with Statement #2.