Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 6G16 Vibroverb Project

Re: 6G16 Vibroverb Project

I wouldn't say they are wrong per se, on the original Fender layout and schematic one has 470 and the other has 4700. I just don't like how it sucks all the gain out of the amp.

Forum Member

They came out of the factory with 470 (assuming mine was never changed) so I'm thinking that would be the "correct" value......Bill

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamrose View Post
    So the Weber layout and schematic are both incorrect. This must have been a problem in the past, I wonder why those two documents haven't been corrected........Bill
    Same reason he doesn't use spot on transformers. No, seriously - prob not enough people have built one yet to catch the typo.

There's nothing wrong with Ted's Transformers and unless you build the amp and try both values, how would you know which value was correct unless you built the amp or you had a vintage one to look at. I put the the 470 ohm in again and I didn't like it so I went back to the 47 ohm.

Forum Member

I figured someone built a prototype and found out the 4.7K value was hosed. Maybe not. It's funny that they had a 50/50 chance and picked the "wrong" (or at least one Fender didn't use) value.........Bill

Oh well, I've documented it on their forum so It should save others in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut1 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with Ted's Transformers and unless you build the amp and try both values, how would you know which value was correct unless you built the amp or you had a vintage one to look at. I put the the 470 ohm in again and I didn't like it so I went back to the 47 ohm.
    The transformers offered with the kit are not spec, especially the OT. Re-read the thread. Not saying they are 'bad,' just very different from original. I am a huge fan of Ted FWIW.

Ted's kits have been known to have some subpar parts.
    But for the rest-for selecting components and the quality of his transformers and speakers-I am also a fan.

They have never failed me for orders either. Every one has been filled accurately and shipped promptly.

Ted has started using Carling switches and Neutrik jacks in his kits. Those were the parts that I heard the most complaints about. He also carries Sozo caps and you can substitute those if you want for an up-charge. I could have also ordered it with the correct spec transformer and they substituted the correct for me and gave me the difference. I've built 10 amps from Ted's kits and they've all turned out great so I'd have to say I'm a fan as well.

The only other components I don't like in Webers' kits are the pilot light and pots, too. Not that they aren't capable, I just prefer the more traditional, sturdier parts there.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Still think it's weird he put a Bassman OT in a Vibroverb kit...

hi folks; i been reading a lot of the posts as a good newbie should do.
    i'm ready to take the plunge and start to build a kit. i have never done one but i have a good mechanical ability (tech degree in rhvac) anyway i am looking at maybe a vibrolux ptp kit. i know it a very diffucult build and i will start with something easier like a tweed champ or something similar. i would like an amp with 40 watts or so clean power but with a good creamy blues tone also. i play an amer. strat. mostly blues oldies and some clean country..the weber kits seem the best deal but not much support there. i also looked at the allen amps accomplice. any suggestions will be appreciated. thanks ALLEN oh by the way i found a website with gobs of schematics just google( free information society) thanks again

Forum Member

I have been stalking this thread for a long time... First, congrats on the build and the trouble shooting, but I am dying to know what this thing sounds like!

Any way we can get some clips of it?

Quote Originally Posted by delae30 View Post
    I have been stalking this thread for a long time... First, congrats on the build and the trouble shooting, but I am dying to know what this thing sounds like!

Any way we can get some clips of it?
    Thanks delae30, I'm not sure that I'm done tweaking the amp yet. Once I am I'll try to recruit Jerry the Geezer to help me record some.

Okay I've been playing the amp now for a while. It sounded great with SC pickups but I was getting some funky distorted sounds with humbuckers so I changed R53 and R60 back to their original values thinking that I was putting to much signal into the PI. I'm not sure if I was correct or not, but it did solve the problem. Now the other decision I need to make is if I want to put the smaller OT in or keep the larger one. Gris, do you have any clips of yours with the original spec OT so that I can get an idea what it sounds like before I do surgery?

Okay didn't get any feedback from Gris so I went a head and swapped the OT. I haven't really played it yet, but from just testing it to make sure I don't need to swap OT primaries before putting it back in the cab, the amp definitely doesn't have as much bass thump.