Thread: Convert, Build, or Buy

Forum Member

Convert, Build, or Buy

I've been thinking I need a better sounding bedroom volume practice amp.
    I have the DRRI to handle loud and quiet clean and love it.
    I also have an old Marshall Lead 12 5watt transistor combo for practice, but it lacks in tone, sensitivity, etc.

I've seen a site where someone converted this Marshall into a 5 watt tube amp, but don't have the details on what circuit, tubes, etc.

What do you think? Is it worth converting the Marshall into a tube amp? I'd probably have to invest in a better speaker than stock as well.

My other options, as I see it are buy something else, maybe a silver face champ (ebay), build a kit amp (say a tweed era 5F2), etc. I recall in my youth not liking the SF Champs, as they were overly brite sounding, but maybe it was a taste issue back then. Or my middle age memory giving up.

I also see a lot of folks here like the new Super Champ XD a lot. There's also a lot of praise for the new Blackstars.

I'd really like something that gives me the DRRI cranked grit and tones (and sensitivity) at significantly lower volumes.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Re: Convert, Build, or Buy

This has come up before. I still say spend $275-$300 on the whitish 'tweed' Gibson GA-5 Skylark (not the later version). The 1x6V6/1x12AX7/5Y3GT version. They come up all the time and it's like getting a vintage 5F1 for 1/4 the price... ;-)

Ampeg Jets are pretty cool.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by old blue View Post
    I'd really like something that gives me the DRRI cranked grit and tones (and sensitivity) at significantly lower volumes.
    I'll vote on the SuperChamp XD.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Depends on how much you really want to spend doesn't it.

Forum Member

Zeiss,

Good point. I really don't want to spend much. I can't see spending a lot for a boutique amp. I spent a lot last year on gear, and will have to save a bit before I do anything.

The options I listed on my 1st post are all obtainable. I can ask for cash for presents for birthday, anniversary, Fathers Day, etc.

I really like the idea of building or repairing, as I am handy with a soldering iron, reading schematics, etc. and have tools and skills necessary. But for the cost of a kit, it seems I could buy a SF Champ and repair as necessary.

I do like the tones from the old tweed 5F1 and 5F2s that used to be available and affordable, but they're rediculously expensive to buy now. I should have bought one 30 yrs ago, when they were plenty.

Live and learn. Guess I was just a

The late 50s, 60-61 sound just like 5F1, maybe better. My bass player has a '50s tweed Champ. I like the old white $275 Gibson GA better.

Forum Member

Gris,
    I will definitely keep an eye out for one of those old Gibby amps. Dont' see the little ones that often. Have to keep watch at the bay for one.

Forum Member

NT,
    I have not played the SCXD. I have a mental block on digitized "effects". But since I've seen some of the recent postings on these little beasts, I'm considering checking them out.

How are they as far as touch sensitivity? My current Marshall ss is really bad at this. Really takes a lot out of practicing if that part is missing. I realize the SCXD is a different animal from the Marshall.

Man, I just put a spare Altec PT we had laying around on this old 'St. George' amp chassis I bought a while back for $20 (had no PT). Popped in a perfect pair of 6L6GB RCA blackplates found at a garage sale. UUUggghhhh, this thing is a tone MONSTER! Think of Neil's Scenery or some killer live PJ... :-)

st. georges are the SHIT! which model do you have gris?

as for my input, i only play a pod at the casa. i've given up on having a small wattage amp to play, they are always too loud for wherever i play, club/home or otherwise.

YMMV.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

The Super Champ XDs are actually a pretty entertaining package. The tube output stage combined with the "clean" Fender tones produce the typical BF vibe while the palette of canned-but-usable effects provide some tonal variation if you happen to leave your pedalboard behind. I see this amp as a reasonably-priced porch weasel that will provide a lotta utility for a lotta guitarists.

Jus' mah 'pinion, y'unnerstan'......

YMMV
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Id rather save my money and just play unplugged. Of course my main guitar (lol and my cheapest one) is so f-ing resonant that you can feel your dinner fighting to escape D:

I dont understand why people want bedroom distortion to practice with, am I seriously the only person who plays COMPLETELY clean at home? I cant fault you old blue because you definately aren't the first person to want some grit in the basement but I dont know. I just have this mental roadblock, practice clean so you can hear exactly what you are doing, but I guess some people want to hear something more representative of what they do with their amp cranked.

For how much the options some of these guys are suggesting would cost, you could almost get an orange tiny terror, ebay frequently has them at like 450-500 dollars brand new.
    Mitch Mitchell talking about Jimi and strats in general.
    If the walrus is Paul then who is Carmen Sandiego?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    st. georges are the SHIT! which model do you have gris?
    'Lancer,' but ... I put a bigger PT on it and with the orig large OT, I can run 6L6 which takes it from tweed to Marshall/tweed.

haven't tried it with a boost/OD pedal yet ... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by redb View Post
    I dont understand why people want bedroom distortion to practice with, am I seriously the only person who plays COMPLETELY clean at home? I cant fault you old blue because you definately aren't the first person to want some grit in the basement but I dont know. I just have this mental roadblock, practice clean so you can hear exactly what you are doing, but I guess some people want to hear something more representative of what they do with their amp cranked.

For how much the options some of these guys are suggesting would cost, you could almost get an orange tiny terror, ebay frequently has them at like 450-500 dollars brand new.
    Well, if you had a home with kids in it, and/or were practicing for technique building and not sound experimenting, then having a small crunchbox is perfect. It's why Tweed Champs and Princetons are revered.

NT,
    I have not played the SCXD. I have a mental block on digitized "effects". But since I've seen some of the recent postings on these little beasts, I'm considering checking them out.

How are they as far as touch sensitivity? My current Marshall ss is really bad at this. Really takes a lot out of practicing if that part is missing. I realize the SCXD is a different animal from the Marshall.
    As PM said, they have that tube output section which will add to the feel of the amp for sure. As far as touch sensitivity, it's not going to be as good as a Tweed Champ or other classic amp, but it's respectable.

I don't own one, but always like playing a guitar through one at the music shops. They are great for practice and fun, and a good meter for translating what your playing style would sound like through a real version of whatever model amp you choose on the dial.

I am not going to be delusional to say it's as good as the real thing, but it's DEFINITELY money well spent. I've been hearing that speaker upgrades are pretty effective, too, if you ever want to try that.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

My other options, as I see it are buy something else...
    If you really mean "bedroom volume practice amp," IMO, tubes are a useless formality that aren't going do all the magical tubey things in the desirable way they're supposed to, not at "bedroom volume."

Get one of these, or find a used example of the slightly smaller 10w version.
    They do a great job of scaled down BF, Tweedy, UK, or Mesa sounds, and sound just plain good.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

I own a Epi Valve jr 5 watt Head and Matching Cab, 66 Vibro Champ and a Champ 600 and by far the best sounding little amp I own is the 66 Vibro Champ. Stock Champ speakers suck, I have a Weber Sig 8 in mine.

If I where in the market for a liitle amp now I'd have to take a good look at the new Vox AC4 TV. It has a 10" speaker and Switchable output levels - 4 watt, 1 watt, 1/4 watt.

See it.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC4TV/

Hear it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw9xW3SWqqM

The head version of that tiny Vox thing looks like a harp player's dream - portable and has tone control, plus output level.

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    The head version of that tiny Vox thing looks like a harp player's dream - portable and has tone control, plus output level.

Indeed

If I didn't already have 3 little amps, shucks. There all so cute !

FWIW, I also like the looks of the Night Train also with it's 15/7 watt head but thats another thread I quess.

Here's the AC4TV Head and Combo and the Nightrain.

http://www.voxamps.com/us/modernclassic/