Thread: Dobro advice

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Dobro advice

Hopefully this is the correct area.

Got asked by my praise group leader if I had a dobro. (I don't).
    Haven't really spent any time with one.
    What says all of you. What should I be looking for in one to begin with? Pricing needs to be low to mid.

Thanks!
    Mark

Re: Dobro advice

I'm no expert, but do they mean a blue-grassy/Hawaiian type square/hollow-neck dobro played lap-style or a resonator guitar you'd play Spanish style, like you'd play most guitars.

Wood body?
    Metal body?

Fender and Dean make affordable metal-bodied resonators.

But for more mojo at a still moderate price check out the Regals here.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Like Neo says, find out exactly what the folks are thinking. They probably mean a traditional wood-bodied Dobro but I have heard that term used many times to mean something quite different.

Dobro is also not the same as a blues slide guitar and is almost always played in a "lap" position since you need to be able to do some pretty sophisticated angles with the slide bar. This is when you discover why intonation is such an important issue to violinists. There is not much that is sicker sounding than a Dobro player with a lousy sense of intonation.

I think you should be able to get a respectable used Dobro for under 1K, maybe as low as $500.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

To elaborate on what Doc and Neo have mentioned.

When folks traditionally talk about Dobros, they mean a wood-bodied, 'spider-bridge' instrument with a square neck, placed either in the lap, or with a strap, with an overhand technique, usually in a special "Dobro" open G tuning.

A 'spider bridge' instrument has crescent shaped hole patterns in the resonator cover, and usually two small round screen-covered soundholes.

A traditional "National" type instrument has a 'biscuit bridge"(or a tri-cone if you want to get nit-picky) a metal body, and a round neck, and is played spanish-style, and are prefered for blues styles.

The cover on a biscuit-bridge instrument has hole patterns shaped like diamonds, and usually f holes on the upper bouts.

These versions are genenerally considered to offer the best sounds for their preferred genres, but every variation of wood/metal/square/round/biscuit/spider has been made by both National, Dobro and the current manufacturers.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Many thanks. They are thinking resonator. There was a song we did that they really wanted one on
    Salt and Light - Jami Smith
    Mark

I've seen an f 60 for under $450 on Craigs. US made I believe. These are very nice and can be used for a number of styles. I have a National Brass bodied guitar and it always turns heads. I bought it for about $1500 and I notice Elderly is getting about $2200 for them now. A very expensive toy... but like we say with this hobby... worth every penny!

Oops. That dobro f 60 looks like it had a broken headstock that was repaired. The RE: on Craigslist came up and the guy was pissed that he had to waste his gas to look at it. One of the many buyer beware cautions of internet business.

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is... sigh

Well, had practice last night, yes a resonator is what they want. And added to the list, they are wanting to fill some mandolin parts. Need to see if I can borrow my friend's for this Sun.

Thanks for the advice. One of those Regals looked pretty nice. Never have played one. Any decent?
    Mark

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

My daughter's boyfriend is best dobro player i have ever heard. he's sleeping on couch as i type. i'll ask him when he wakes up. he we are in jax bech Fl - COLD this a.m. huh?

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Regal Black Lightening $500-$1000

The most jaw-dropping Dobro solo I ever heard was on Dolly Parton's country swing cover of Cole Porter's "I Get a Kick Out of You." If I recall correctly, it is on her "Tiny Sparrow" CD of maybe 3-4 years ago. Gerry Douglas (who else?) plays the solo and it will leave you open-mouthed, literally, after which you will grin like an idiot. It is the kind of playing that makes you want to cheer.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Every once in a while when I'm daydreaming, I go here:
    http://www.vintagenationals.com/

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Thanks for the advice. One of those Regals looked pretty nice. Never have played one. Any decent?
    I only dabble in slide these days.
    I've played a couple of the Deans, and the shiny Fender, which literally has "F" holes.
    The Dean is good looking. I liked the coppery patina looking finish.
    If you're taking this straight to stage, I don't think either is what you want. Both are kind of lack luster, sonically.

The Regal RC-1 is better in every way. Louder, and more complex sound. Makes you want to play. The price is pretty hard to beat.

A guy who works for my company is a hardcore bluegrass guy. He's definitely old school, and has spent serious money restoring old Dobros. Even he's impressed with the Regals, and he's not someone who'd typically even listen to import stuff.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

You can't beat a Regal Black Lightening, that's a great one! I have not played them all, but every Regal I have played was great! Stay away from the Goldtones, in my opinion. My wife bought a Paul Beard model from Goldtone, while the Paul Beard guitars have a great rep (never actually played one) this model is not so great and they provide no support.
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com