Thread: Help me identify a Hendrix song, please!

Help me identify a Hendrix song, please!

Asked my youngest guitar student today about any other songs he'd like to learn and he said he wanted to learn "No.17" - that's No. 17 on his CD for sure but he didn't know the name of the song, only that it starts with birds (seagulls?) and then "Jimi solos". Sounded familiar to me and I was sure that it was "The Wind Cries Mary" but there's no birds on my CD and no birds on the vinyl. So Hendrix experts, please identify this one for me, I know I've heard it but I'm too lazy to go through all the vinyl tracks.
    Thanks
    Tom

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Help me identify a Hendrix song, please!

Tom is it "If 6 Was 9?"

There are a lot of eccletic sound effects a lot like birds (and other things) in and around the verses and Jimi's solos. can't speak to the placement of the cut on a CD.

Forum Member

Experience Hendrix: The Best Of Jimi Hendrix has "Night Bird Flying" as track 17

TFF Stage Crew

Well that makes a lot more sense, given the title. I took a shot.

Forum Member

Yeah, I don't know if I'd call the glissando(?) stuff at the start birds but I guess it could be construed that way.

Thanks for helping out, fellows! I e-mailed the dad of my student to be sure which song it would be and it turned out to be "Night Bird Flying". So our resident Hendrix expert is troyad.

I guess that's too much of a toughie for an 8 year old who just started out to play guitar seriously but the guy's so talented that - who knows, in about a year or so he might be able to nail it.