Thread: AArrrghhhh - IDIOTS!!!

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

AArrrghhhh - IDIOTS!!!

Hard times forced me to sell the best sounding amp I've ever owned (I'll get another one some day) on Ebay.

Anyway, the folks that bought it e-mail me "it arrived safely - great packing! where doe the different tubes go. the three big tubes look all the same?"

I e-mail back when I see the message next morning "the two 6V6 go next to each other and the 6X5 to the right slightly farther apart, next to the transformer. the 6X5 is clearly labeled on top..."

I don't hear anything back for a day or so. No feedback left.

I email back "what's up? isn't that a great amp! I went the extra mile doing all that free work before shipping (recapped it and put in new trem caps) please leave me positive feedback"

i just get this message "not sure what to do about our transaction. my son 'jumped the gun' and put tubes in wrong slots. couldnt wait til next morning for your advice. amp smells funny and wont work..."

@#$%^&*()_)(*&^%$!!!!!

Re: AArrrghhhh - IDIOTS!!!

Wow, what a moron. I'd make sure I keep their emails so you can prove that it was their fault and they can't try and force the amp they damaged back on you. I guess I can understand having two sons that they aren't always the wisest or most patient when they are young.

I hate when bad things happen to good amps.

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

At least they could have gotten a nasty Jolt for doing that!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Well, I'm waiting to hear back. I guess it probably would just blow a fuse or fry the 6V6 to stick it in the recto slot. Dunno, never done that. I suppose they probably didn't 'play' it long like that. More later...

Sorry to hear about all this...

I have used EBay 3 times.

First transaction was intercontinental...a 1st Edition Book...great.

Second transaction was from an EBay store...simple supply item...buy it anywhere...great.

Third transaction was a vintage guitar...disaster.
    Last edited by twangmeisternyc; 01-31-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Instructions to buyer - if you are not smart enough to insert tubes in appropriate slots please take to an amplifier expert. Not responsible for idiots doing idiotic things. Sold and no returns.

I enjoy buying and selling golf equipment... no one knows how to use that :)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Im thinking of buying a 9 iron for my landlord.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Im thinking of buying a 9 iron for my landlord.Gris thats just aweful! yes, keep the email. You may be abloe to reverse any negative feedback with that admission they sent you.

Sorry to hear that the buyer won´t take responsibility for the trade. I´ve done one Ebay business, i bought an ´77 Ibanez 2680 from overseas, took 2 weeks to get it home and when it arrived i had to pay custom tax, 25% on the purchase tag. I´ll never do a Ebay trade overseas again, the git was faboulouse but due to the exhausting waiting and worrying weeks it´s not worth the offer!

Quote Originally Posted by jerryjg View Post
    Im thinking of buying a 9 iron for my landlord.
    For him to use? or to use on him?
    Then Play On

Oh, I don't think he will leave me negative feedback, but I bet I won't get any positive either. They have pretty much gone into a shell. I also think the son figured out where the tubes went, but ... put the tubes in the wrong slots. The 6X5 rectifier looks very much like a 6V6. In my initial answer to their question I warned them about that and where to find the tube markings. But, of course, junior had already done his thing by the time they read my email. Now I've got to find someone who knows what happens (other than frying the power tube) when you put a power tube in the recto slot and flip the switch - just in case they contend that the amp was damaged goods before they did their thing...

People Suck.

"the best sounding amp I've ever owned (I'll get another one some day) on Ebay. "

So, what amp was it ?

E-Bay is getting less and less appealing everyday.

Now craigslist rocks!

Ebay is full of dimwits I'm soooooo done! Sorry to hear of your down turn Gris thing's will get better..

maybe find a decent amp guy in their area and send them the contact info? At least you have you have your $...it would be a whole different story if you didn't, AND had to take back a busted amp.
    Yummo!

My Gear:
    Gibson SG
    James Burton Tele (standard---not the flaming one)
    Guild Bluegrass Jubilee w/DTar
    Kap'n 5E3
    Marsh 5F11

Thats rough....another reason im not a big e-bay fan.

The best speaker for a 74 DR that I've ever owned, I got from Gris. I'll never get rid of it.
    Then Play On

It's official - the kid killed the killer amp ... :-(

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    Turn that frown upside down! He's payin his dues. How else is he gonna end up a great blues player??

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    What exactly was the damage? To the amp, not the cost.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

i dunno, it's really weird. i seem to get these disjointed fragmented emails about every ten days. today's said. "do you it might come back to life if i get new 6V6s and another 6X5 and just plug them in...?" you see, this kid just likes to plug things in w/o thinking first... :-(

Sounds like a typical teenager to me. If you think about it this is how we learn we make mistakes and hopefully we learn from it and don't make the same mistake again. Generally the more painful the mistake the less likely we are to make the same mistake.

While it pains you that it was such a great amp, at least it wasn't on your dime. I think the best thing you can do for him and for yourself is suggest that he take it to a qualified tech in his area. If you can find the name of one to refer him to, as was suggested earlier, so much the better.

Yeah, that's exactly what i did actually.

Forum Member

Sorry for the bad experience Gris. I have sold two amps on ebay, and both were nightmares. Hopefully, they are not holding your feedback hostage.

Sorry to hear about your experiences. At least they seem like they realise they are the ones at fault, not you.

I've never had really bad experiences on eBay but I've had a few less than great ones. I just chalk it up to doing business with who knows what out there. There are plenty of leakers out there and many of them like to bid on things they shouldn't bid on.

I HAVE had terrible experience shipping amps and will never do it again if it even remotely involves UPS. They did the packaging, trashed the amp, then had the cajones to tell me they weren't going to cover it because it was (no kidding) "Not packaged properly". I disputed the refusal, had a "Claims Manager" (that's what his job title was on his business cards) come to inspect the amp and packaging. He denied the claim and closed the case telling me "We don't really sell insurance, we're a transport company". Yeah, that's why the word INSURANCE is used 57 times in the UPS tariffs posted on their own website.

Never again UPS! You've already lost over 100 times what you would have paid me on that claim and will continue to do so. Turns out I'm the eBay selling manager for the company I work for (power sports sales) and I can definitely say that $800 savings UPS made by denying me my claim has cost UPS well into the 10s of thousands of dollars in lost sales and will continue to climb for the rest of my working days. Hell, the rest of my life. I'll never ship UPS again. I ship everything from screwdrivers to boats all over the USA every day and use a dozen shippers but not a single box leaves my hands with a UPS label on it. How's that feel now, UPS?! LOL

Not everyone gets to turn this kind of ripoff around on a company but in my case "Paybacks are a bitch" really works. Gonna keep working too.

Cheers,
    - JJ
    "I bet your Momma was a tent-show Queen ..."

But how do you really feel about UPS JJ.

Ditto on UPS.

I won't ship anything I care about with them again...they failed the "honor" test horribly. You cannot inspect and accept a package, insure it, then ship and destroy it...then walk away from your commitment, waiting to see if you'll be taken to small claims court.

It's the Amish in me...the "UPS" handshake is worthless.