Thread: Please tell me how to Vintage Tint my Strat neck.

Forum Member

Please tell me how to Vintage Tint my Strat neck.

Okay. I got a good deal on a reliced Strat body.I have an unfinished Start neck and would love to give it a dark vintage amber tint to work with the relic body. Ive heard of "reranch", and went to their site, but don't really get it. Seems they have two sprays, but Id much rather hear a very simple explanation here of what spray(s) to get, how exactly to do it ,and whatever else may need mentioning. Thanks so much!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Please tell me how to Vintage Tint my Strat neck.

Pretty elementary here.

Git you some of this......

http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/tinclearcoat.html

An' several packs of 3M automotive sanding film in various grades from #320 up to around #1200. Git a tack cloth as well

Sand the exposed maple smooth with your heaviest grit, wipe any dust away with the tack cloth, then shoot your first coat of lacquer. Make it a light "dusting" coat. Let it dry for a coupla hours, then apply a second -- slightly heavier -- coat. Again, allow to dry for a coupla hours. Shoot a third coat the same as the second then let it dry overnight. The next day, lightly sand the lacquer with some #600 grit an' wipe down with the tack cloth. Shoot a coupla more coats similar to the previous day's effort, allowing adequate drying time between the coats. Set aside for a day. Then -- in good strong light -- take a look at your color. If it's where you want it, then wet-sand with #800 or #900 grit and apply one final light coat. When dry, wet-sand lightly with #1000 or #1200 then wipe it down with the tack cloth. In a coupla days you can polish with your preferred compound to the desired sheen. If you find you need more tint, apply more lacquer and sand between the coats with #600. Always wipe the working surfaces with a tack cloth before shooting more clear coats (or any paint for that matter).

HTH
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Pretty elementary here.

Git you some of this......

http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/tinclearcoat.html

An' several packs of 3M automotive sanding film in various grades from #320 up to around #1200. Git a tack cloth as well

Sand the exposed maple smooth with your heaviest grit, wipe any dust away with the tack cloth, then shoot your first coat of lacquer. Make it a light "dusting" coat. Let it dry for a coupla hours, then apply a second -- slightly heavier -- coat. Again, allow to dry for a coupla hours. Shoot a third coat the same as the second then let it dry overnight. The next day, lightly sand the lacquer with some #600 grit an' wipe down with the tack cloth. Shoot a coupla more coats similar to the previous day's effort, allowing adequate drying time between the coats. Set aside for a day. Then -- in good strong light -- take a look at your color. If it's where you want it, then wet-sand with #800 or #900 grit and apply one final light coat. When dry, wet-sand lightly with #1000 or #1200 then wipe it down with the tack cloth. In a coupla days you can polish with your preferred compound to the desired sheen. If you find you need more tint, apply more lacquer and sand between the coats with #600. Always wipe the working surfaces with a tack cloth before shooting more clear coats (or any paint for that matter).

HTH
    Perfect. Thnx!! I'll order some Spray Monday from Reranch, and go to the hardware store and get the sandpaper and tackcloth. Thanks again!

Vato Zone, here we come!

Git yerseff about four or five sheets each of the sanding film. Buy the good stuff, don't wimp out trine to save a buck on generics. An' if'n CJ or 71818 or anybody else weighs in wif advice, take it -- they're old hands at this an' they know their sh*t.

Best of luck, put some pics up when yer done.

(addendum)

Be sure to use a mask or respirator and have adequate ventilation when spraying lacquers or any other type of paint.

I want you at my funeral -- I don' wanna go to yours!

+1 on the ReRanch Phantomman! Good stuff... great website for learning too! To add to his earlier comments if you're also wanting to add some relicing to the neck I saw a website that even covered doing the fretboard staining or wear and things like that but I can't remember that site. I would imagine if you do a search for that you'd find it. If'n I find the site I'll be postin' it fur ya!

Here's a link to a YouTube video series demonstrating how to relic a guitar neck... pretty good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osuon...next=1&index=3

Or the old Kiwi trick too. Gives it more of a relic look, but it ain't bad.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim