Thread: Lindy Fralins

Lindy Fralins

Considering the Lindy Fralin Real 54's. Comments, suggestions, experience with them, warnings?

I'll be converting my HSS Fat Strat to 3 single coils instead of the 2 singles & 1 double humbucker.

Marc

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Lindy Fralins

You may find that the base plate option for the bridge pickup may be a worthwhile addition......
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I've had a set of Vintage Hots in a Strat for 10 years or so, I have a stock set in a Telecaster and a set of P-90s in a PRS SE Soapbar II.

I haven't tried the Real '54s. I suspect that they'll be brighter, chimier, and lower powered than what the guitar has in it now.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

IIRC the real '54 are alnico II or III in which case I don't think they will especially 'bright' per se. I have not used the real '54, but my experience with alnico II and III PUs is they are less electric and more 'acoustic' sounding, which may or may not be a good thing depending upon your goal. I do think Lindy Fralin makes great PUs though.

you guys are right, fralins ROCK!

marc, if the pups are A3 be ready for something different from what you're used to. some people say they are bright, but i don't really agree with that or think it's a good description. to my ears they are just as bright as an A5 pup, but the EQ curve is way different. i have strats with both types and like them for what they do. i think gris gave a good description. the words i use are "woody" (A3) and "steely" (A5). both are a nice sound and it's nice to be able to switch up the tone a little.

+1 on the baseplate, i have one on my A3 set.

best of luck.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Dang! You guys got me wondering about A3 mag pickups!!!

come to the dark side....
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Ahhhh, Donny boy lost the blues PUs. Good move!

I still have the Blues Special bridge p/u. It's kind of a security blanket.

Maybe I should replace both the Blues Special and the Stock Bridge that I currently have in the guitar with a 2% overwound Stock Bridge with A3 mags, non RW/RP, staggered poles and black wax.

The Real 54's were recommended to me by someone who knew I wanted to upgrade the stock Tex-Mex pups. His description was a pronounced QUACK and very Jimi Hendrix.

I like A3 in neck but not bridge, but I can see where others would see it the other way around though - because the 3s have more mids, but they also have a clearer top end which is why I like them in neck. I like a slightly overwound plain enamel wire Tele bridge PU because I feel that is the PU that nails the piercing steel guitar sound. The trick is to overwind it just enough to take the ice pick off. I also think you can and should very slightly overwind those A3s over a stock vintage wind. I have seen a few old Fender PUs come through here over the years and the best ones always read just a little above spec. It's all about which particular sound you are going for. For me, in Strats and Teles, it's always steel guitar in bridge and near acoustic tone in neck. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by marcenfender View Post
    The Real 54's were recommended to me by someone who knew I wanted to upgrade the stock Tex-Mex pups. His description was a pronounced QUACK and very Jimi Hendrix.
    I think those would be outstanding so long as you are not looking for a forward, super warm or gainy sound. I would get the neck and mid only slightly overwound and the bridge a bit more. I wouldn't bother with a base plate on a A3, especially if you get it overwound. Maybe try one later for the fun of it. But you should see how you like it straight first.