Thread: AmpegB15N Fliptop-Holy Grail?

Forum Member

AmpegB15N Fliptop-Holy Grail?

Well, I never told you guys but I picked up a mint Ampegb15n pORTAFLEX IN mINT CONDITION THIS PAST SUMMER FOR 475.00.
    (sorry caps).. and it WAS mint till i tried to jam the amp in the wrong way into the cabinet and put dents and scrapes in both Transformers. It was a sad day, but we have to carry on. IS this amp the end all be all of acoustic bass amp tone? Cause i could really use the money to sell it.
    I know the SVT was the RAWK amp to go with Marshalls JCM heads o of the era, but I bought this for the famous Jamerson Motown sound..only to find out James ran his P-Bass stright into the board for the Motown sessions... he only played live with the fliptop.
    Im putting this here instead of "AMP" section cause its primarialy a bass question.
    I would keep this for recording in a small to medium sized studio. Ive already got a good hi power live rig in storage.

Re: AmpegB15N Fliptop-Holy Grail?

surprisingly, the flip top has been used on countless rock albums for bass, the svt is for live shows. but yes, a flip top and a fender bass are a match made in heaven. my buddy gary makes a clone where there's two inputs, one for bass and the other for guitar. i don't know exactly what he does but that bandaxall circuit sounds amazing on guitars.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Supposedly they were used in NY studios so often there was a Portaflex club. The studio kept a portaflex, that had a key switch. If you paid into the club, you got a key, and could use the amp on recording dates, saving yourself the work of hauling the amp.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Ive used alot of those in studios, never owned
    one but are great amps.

I also used SVT's in the studio, but i was in a hard
    core rock band at that time also had a killer sound