Thread: Simple as hell wah mod that anyone can do

Simple as hell wah mod that anyone can do

Always wished my Budda wah had a bit more of a useable sweep (more treble). Lemme see if I can explain this without being confoosing: Assuming all wah's are the same, there's the shaft with teeth connected to the pedal that rolls the pot when you rock the pedal back and forth. The pot has more play than is used so I simply moved the shaft off the pot (extremely simple) and rotated the pot a tad more to the treble side. Using this example, let's say the wah, heel down & tilted back, didn't start the treble kicking in until half way down now kicks in sooner. I guess the whole point is you CAN adjust your wah's sweep to possibly get it where you want, sure is a helluva lot cheaper than buying mod kits.

New pots are cheap, too.
    Jason
    The Bear Guy

I've done that on all CryBaby wahs I've owned so far; makes it so much more usable. Especially because I have the feeling the pot in the wah seems to co-rotate little by little while using it, no matter how tight you screw it to the pedal. I always tune my wah to the full trebe range, sounds reay awsome.
    "If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT."

- Frank Zappa -

I've been doing that adjustment (mod) for years. I move the pot to a higher treble setting accordingly. It always sounds so right to me. It all depends on how your amp is set and what guitars you use. All in all, it's called "tuning a wah".

Jack, I would call it a "stick" instead of a shaft just to avoid confusion.

The gear is the pinion and the straight ratchet is the rack.