Thread: 2 New Projects!

2 New Projects!

One of these is slightly underway, the other is yet to begin.

The first (I will try to post pictures tonight) is a 94 Samick Strat body with a rosewood neck and a red pearloid PG. It has a humbucker in the bridge. I am thinking EMGs....maybe an SA/SA/81 combo? If I do EMGs, I might do the Gilmour mods and get the EXG guitar expander (bass and treble boost) and SPC presence control (mid boost). This would give me incredible amounts of customization in my sound.

Any experience with EMGs? I am also considering a Seymour Duncan set up with a Hb in the bridge and two SCs. But NOT hot rails. Any advice?

I was thinking about replacing the stock Samick rosewood with a tinted maple. Who do you guys use? Warmoth? Mighty Mite? USACG? I just like the feel of a maple neck better.

My second project is to build myself a butterscotch Tele with a maple neck. I am actually debating between this and a 52RI. But I thought the building project would be more fun, Any thoughts, advice, warnings? Again, who do you use?
    "What would rock and roll be without feedback?" - David Gilmour

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." - Richard Ashcroft

Re: 2 New Projects!

Not a fan of the EMG's. They have their own sound, and it's not mine. However Gravity Jim Bordner, ex of this board, got some great sounds from his.

If you do install, you'll need to plan for battery access. Eventually wood screws will strip out.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I have heard decent things from them in soundclips but never had the chance to play through them.

I did read that a lot of people had to extend leads for the the battery pack to the back cavity for easier access to change out the battery instead of removing the pickguard.

Right before I read your post I remembered that GJ had praise for his EMGs. I miss GJ.

I know that a lot of the people I have heard with them in (Gilmour's red strat, Vince Gill, etc..) I like their sound.

What about them turns you off from them, Kap'n?

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." - Richard Ashcroft

To me, they don't sound like a guitar. They sound like a recording of a guitar.
    orange picks

kind of like someone trying to play guitar with a keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by guitars247 View Post
    kind of like someone trying to play guitar with a keyboard?
    Not exactly. I don't know exactly. Maybe there's some compression, or EQ or something, but all the edges are rounded off. Throw some chorus on there, and it sounds like Eric Johnson or something. Yecch.
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    Throw some chorus on there, and it sounds like Eric Johnson or something. Yecch.
    I think I have in my head the tone you are thinking of. I can see where you are coming from. It might be a nice change of pace, but that is a pretty expensive "change of pace."

My other thought was to go with two Seymour Duncan lipstick tubes in the middle and neck position and maybe a Duncan Phat Cat on the bridge.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Not exactly. I don't know exactly. Maybe there's some compression, or EQ or something, but all the edges are rounded off. Throw some chorus on there, and it sounds like Eric Johnson or something. Yecch.
    Word!

Those EMGs seem to suppress any and all sonic personality for a given instrument -- be it a LP, a Strat, or a Jackson. You may as well mount them pickups on a cigar-box guitar. They jus' don't have too much in the way of dynamics IMO......too processed , too generic.

Jus' mah 'pinion, y'unnerstan'......
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

You know, the more I think about it, and the more I hear you guys' opinions on the EMGs, I am leaning towards that Duncan setup.

Plus, I think the look of the chrome lipstick tubes and the chrome humbucker would look dead sexy on a red peraloid pickguard on a black Strat body with a vintage tinted maple neck!!!!

Alright, here are some shots of the project guitar. After looking at it, should I go with a brighter red pickguard? Maybe Dorothy's little shoes red?

The white knobs, etc. will likely go away when I put in the new pups. Depending on what pups I put it I will be using either black or chrome hardware.

Here is the neck......

That trem block looks really thin.
    orange picks

That trem block looks really thin.
    Another upgrade I am planning on doing.....that's what I was wanting to show.....also,notice all the paint drips in there.....is that indicative of Samick's work or did I get the one the lazy guy did.....

My take on the EMG's.
    I can't say anything about the SA's, never used them.

81's and 85's I have used, and have swapped an 85 in and out of my Jackson/Charvels. The 85 remains permanently installed in the Charvel Model 88. Why?
    For shredding, and absolute cleans, but nothing in between.

It is a wonderful tool to use for recording.
    The trick is to set it really low! It will pick up the harmonics and nuances of the board, but not if it gets flooded out. That's where the bad tone comes in. It is extremely quiet also.

For high gain compressed metal, it is great.
    Other than that, don't bother.
    The 88 only gets played occasionally, when I'm feeling a bit more evil
    than other times. If you get my drift...

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by guitars247 View Post
    Another upgrade I am planning on doing.....that's what I was wanting to show
    Ah yes......the new state-of-the-art neodymium trem block. If that were a fuel cell it wouldn't be capable of powering a piss-ant's mini-bike around the inside diameter of a Cheerio.

also,notice all the paint drips in there.....is that indicative of Samick's work or did I get the one the lazy guy did.....
    Prolly some Vo-Tech drop-out who cut his teeth on them paint-by-number sets while assigned to a halfway house. Definitely no blood relative of the Picasso family.

Frankly I think the color scheme as is looks pretty nice. I'm picky when it comes to tortoise-shell......I prefer pickguards that tend more to the brown than red. The existing knobs an' covers provide a nice contrast.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

i like the white against the tort, classy. if you're digging more red you could probably go with a red pearloid guard, i think that might look real nice.

as for the neck, i really like warmoth bass necks, and would probably like their guitar necks if i had a vintage type model, the few i've played have been flat radius thin necks, not my bag. but overall i think they make a nice product. the usacg neck i played felt nice too, but i've only ever played one, so i don't know. there usually a hot debate when it comes to w vs. u, but i've never sat down and done a side by side, so i won't comment on the differences.

the one thing to be concerned about with any aftermarket neck is whether it is going to fit. if you have a fender neck laying around bolt it up to the body and see if it fits and works. on some import copies they take liberties with dimensions and specs, better to find out now as opposed to later that the scale length is different with a fender spec neck.

good luck on your project man. interested to see how these turn out.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"