Thread: Squier partscaster?

Squier partscaster?

I spotted what looked like a Squier partscaster in the local Cash Converter today - I've been looking for a 2 tone sunburst Strat to use as a "project" guitar & thought this might be the one.. it even had an "aged" single ply pickguard, BUT. The neck was a Maple board 70's style with no skunk stripe (affinity series with a CY serial on the back of the headstock) and the neck plate had a totally different prefix and number on it (may have been YI ######## ?). I was more concerned with a fine crack in the poly coating on the upper side/edge of the neck pocket - It crossed my mind that it might have been dropped, & had a broken neck replaced. Anyway, It didn't look as if it was worth the money they were asking so I passed. Are these guitars Basswood? There was very little visible grain on the 3 piece body.

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Squier partscaster?

I think the older ones were (basswood, that is). I believe the newer releases are agathis, which is -- apparently -- similar in density an' tonal properties to poplar. In any case I think you were smart to pass on it......anythang with a crack in the neck pocket is a sure indication of some kinda abuse or mishandling.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

The current Squier Affinity is made of alder. The Squier Bullet is made of basswood. My mid-90s Squier is made out of plywood, so who knows what the guitar you saw might have been.

There is only one problem with alder affinity bodies and that is that you are stuck with potmetal bridge block as the body is thinner than standard strat. This is mine: Affinity body - Korea squire neck, GFS tuners

Sorry about the size of the pictures. It was a fun project . I learn't a few aging techniques.

i think that looks great, good job!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Yep, great looking guitar. That's what I'm aiming for. I'll just have to keep looking for the right "base" Thanks for the advice guys.
    Aidan.

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

best of luck man.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I know the original Affinity Strats were lamo... however my brother bought a new one about a week ago and brought it to me for a setup a restringing and honestly for a budget or beginner guitar it is way above the crap I had the opportunity to learn on in the early to mid 70's.

My mom and dad wouldn't drop the coin for an electric guitar... so I did odd jobs to get enough money to buy a japanese plywood POS with cheese grater action and proceeded to tear it apart and put it back together again about 1000+ times. The upside is I learned an awful lot about how to make even a 2 x 4 sound and play great! The downside... well... I guess there wasn't too much of one until some of my friends got Les Pauls and Strat's from mom's and dad's who had more money than sense buying a 12-13 year old kid a $500 plus dollar guitar... who didn't appreciate it!

Anyhow the Affinity Strat is nice... the neck is not bad and the body is made from Alder not Agathis. His is the same thickness as the Stratocaster I have... MIM and in fact that was something I checked while stringing it... I'd heard the same story a couple of years ago and while it may have been true... apparently Fender has responded and made them the same now. Another reason I bring this up is the bridge assembly on his is garbage! It was... but not now. Anyhow I thought a MIM wasn't the best... hence the reason mine now sports a Callaham and other pro improvements but that thing on the Affinity... JUST HIDEOUS! So I donated the MIM bridge to the brother's Affinity... he's happy... and it sounds 10x better.

Oh my brother is a terrific guitarist too... doesn't play lead guitar at all but a great fingerstylist and is very good with his Taylor which cost hundreds more than this Strat he bought. In our band he's the bassist and wanted an electric to write songs on at home.

I left him with this analogy though... "Do you know what moped and a fat woman have in common? They're both fun to ride until your friends see you on one!"

Sorry for the long post guys!

Thanks Chuckocaster and Direstraits - have fun with your project Direstraits - post photos if you end up modding one. (I agree I think the wood on the lower end Fenders is not so bad usually just need a pickup, wiring and hardware changes to bring them up close to pro level.)