Thread: Experience ordering guitars sight-unseen

Experience ordering guitars sight-unseen

I've never purchased a guitar anywhere other than the local music store so I can get a good look at it and play it for a while.

Those of you who have ordered online or from ebay - what's the deal? How does it go? Been ripped off?

Thanks

It depends..........

I've bought two guitars and two amps sight unseen - one of each new and used. Confused? HA! Oh - and a PA powered mixer.

I bought a used acoustic on Ebay from a seller who had a good rating. It was an excellent guitar I kept for about a year and then sold via Ebay because I had tired of its bright tone (doubt I would've kept it even if I had bought it from a real store).

The rest of everything I bought online - my main bass, bass amp/cab rig, Blues Jr., and Yamaha EMX powered mixer - I still have and extensively use. They've all been exceptional purchases without a bit of trouble out of any of them.

I think the key is finding a place that has a reasonable return policy. Most online stores should give you 30-45 days and most Ebay sellers will give you at least ten days to decide whether or not you are satisfied with your purchase. In the case of Sam Ash - it's actually BETTER to buy from their online store, samash.com, as they give a 45 day return policy with full refund versus a 30 day exchange-only return policy at their 'real' stores. Ebay sellers should also have a decent track record regarding their feedback ratings.

Don't be afraid of it. If you can find a guitar you like locally - that's great and probably the best way to go (I've got a bunch of gear I've bought that way too). But if it means limiting your selection because you can't find something you're interested in locally, then buying online opens up your choices to a BUNCH more models than any local music store can provide - even the megastores.

Good luck.

Mark
    Last edited by Telebluesfan; 07-18-2003 at 09:01 AM.

I buy all my guitars online cause my dealer has a 100% money back guarantee and he hand picks the guitars for me. I request a big neck and lightweight body and always get what I ask for.

I have bought 9 so far all new Fenders sent back 2 that there was nothing wrong with I just didnt like them got 2 others I liked better.

I get the same price as my local store but I get a pro setup done for free which includes nut cut correctly,frets crowned and leveled if needed,intonated,strings to my choice,guitar setup for my playing style.

I have bought a few things on Ebay too but like to buy new.

Forum Member
    Bought 3 highline guitars from Musician's Friend and one from a forum member and didn't have any problems from any of them.

TFF Stage Crew
    I'm Guitar Center's most annoying shopper, because I play things there, then buy online (or via phone) from American Musical Supply. www.americanmusical.com

I do this for two reasons. Most importantly, AMS has this awesome payment plan where you can purchase anything over $1000 and they bill you in 5 monthly installments. That way I'm not paying interest on credit cards, and paying off my gear in "real" time. It just feels better for me personally, because I can see the gig money each month going right to my gear purchases.

Secondly, I had some trouble with a guitar I once ordered from Musician's Friend, but never with AMS. Every guitar has arrived in perfect condition and almost perfectly setup. I had a problem with another piece of gear once, and they FedEx'd me replacement the next day, BEFORE I had to send back the broken piece. Nice.

Haven't ventured into the Ebay world yet. Also, I have bought plenty of things from smaller music shops here and there because I like giving them my business, but the majority of my stuff comes from AMS.

Forum Member
    I purchased a MIA Strat from Musicians Friend last month. 3 tone, alder w/ RW board.
    It was a scratch and dent model. Came with OHSC and all case candy. I cannot find a mark on the guitar and it plays fantastic.
    Definitely a keeper. All for $599!

AMS and MF and CG are all the same company just for your information.

Forum Member
    I ordered a vintage guitar from one of the larger dealers in Chicago, and when the guitar arrived it was far from what was described over the phone/dealer ad.
    The owner was quick to refund me my money, but only part of it arrived.
    It was living hell to get the remainder of it back.

I also ordered a simular guitar from a dealer in NYC, and it was a world of difference. The sales person was great to deal with, and the guitar was actually taken apart while I waited to confrim it's originality.
    It arrived set up perfectly with my choice of strings, and a few check up calls to boot!
    I'm a customer for life!

TFF Stage Crew
    Marcondo,

GC and MF are the same parent company, yes--but you can't use the one's credit card with the other--completely separate financing, etc. Nor can you return a MF item to a GC, etc.

To my knowlege, AMS is not related to either, unless that's changed in recent days. AMS is based out of NJ and has always been an entirely separate company. MF is based out of OR.

There was once a rumor that AMS and MF were the same because it was said that MF orders from the east coast came from the same warehouse as AMS stuff. I checked it out and found that to be entirely false. I also checked the corporate info on both websites and saw nothing in common.

I wish they were the same sometimes, because MF stocks a lot more stuff, particularly Fender guitars--more models and more colors within each model type. More than once I've wanted to take advantage of AMS's 5-payment plan on a guitar only stocked by MF. MF also used to offer such a plan, but stopped over 4 years ago.

Of course, in this ever-changing world, it wouldn't shock me if one bought out another, so where are you getting your info?

Living in the body that is now called "grito"
    I do a Jack all the time. CG was also a gear rental store for the band when we had no money. Need a 4x12? Buy it, then return it to CG!

Forum Member
    I buy on line frequently. Of the 12-15 guitars I have bought I returned 4... not what they were depicted as in the on line pics. All these have been bought in Japan... costs about 20 clams to return them, not bad.

I've bought four guitars on-line sight-unseen:

CIJ '72 RI Telecaster Thinline from Ishibashi music.
    Steinberger GT-Pro from MusicYo.
    G&L ASAT Jr from Indoor Storm.
    G&L GbL_LE from Indoor Storm.

I didn't have a problem with any of them. Transactions went smoothly and the guitars were exactly what I expected when I got them.

However I'd never buy a Gibson without playing it first, too much variability in their product!

I'm currently in the middle of purchasing a used Rickenbacker 620, again sight-unseen, but I have a friend whos opinion I trust acting as an intermediary and he's had a chance to examine it, so that doesn't really count.
    2005 new gear count: CIJ '72 RI Tele Custom. NOS '88 Charvel Model 3B. Reverend Drivetrain II. Boss CH-2. Boss DS-1. Boss BCB-60. PRS Custom 22

STRAT QUESTION !

WHAT IS A MIA STRAT ? I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH THAT TERM OR NAME WHAT DOES IT MEAN ?
    THANK YOU
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Made In America...
    "The lord will take two things so much alike that he would not mind choosing from them blindfold - and then for a great jest he will allow the slaves to choose."