Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Page

Jimmy Page

Jimmy's known, of course, for his Tele and Les Paul playing, but he's also known to have used a Strat occasionally.

Am I right to think he's using a Strat on "All of My Love"? I've read that the "Stairway..." solo was recorded with a Strat, but I've also read that he used a Tele for it.

What are some tunes on which Page plays a Strat?

Re: Jimmy Page

I think much of In Through the Out Door was a strat, and maybe some of Physical Graffiti, but I don't think much else.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

One of the guitars on "Ten Years Gone" is a Strat.

- HR

The "Stairway" solo was a tele.
    I've read the "All Of My Love" was a Tele, maybe that brown with the bender you see him using in pix of the last couple of tours.

Not a stellar performance, but you can hear/see Page using the bender in a similar fashion on this.

I think some tracks with Strat on Physical Graffitti date back to Houses of the Holy sessions. I don't listen to much Zeppelin anymore, but some stuff on Presence sounded like Strat to me.
    Last edited by NeoFauve; 12-17-2008 at 08:11 AM.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

"In the Evening" was his blue Strat.

Yeah, I've seen the vid of him playing the blue Strat on "In the Evening." Obviously he needed a whammy for that.

I'd love to find interviews with him that discuss his guitars--hard to get back issues of guitar mags around these parts.

To be pedantic - he used a '48 Broadcaster extensively on their early recordings - it really shows on 'Heartbreaker' and 'Immigrant Song' where you can really hear that hotter than standard Tele bridge pup growl - a good DVD that shows him with that particular guitar is 'A to Zeppelin' - an unauthorised 'history' - we all know he's a well documented studio ace who will have used whatever he had at his disposal - which - incidentally - also included Wallace and Orange/Matamp amps - the former not so well known to the public but were built to an amazing standard with outstanding signal to noise and were favored by many British session men of the time - it's generally accepted that John Paul Jones used them and suggested that Pagey give 'em a try...
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

A list of guitars used by Page (and other equip) can be found here

According to this list, he had the '64 blue Strat starting in '79 for In the Evening and others from In Through the Out Door, and a cream '66 Strat for All of My Love during a tour in '80.

This one doesn't list the cream Strat, but does list a '66 cream Tele that was used for Physical Grafitti (and apparently according to some sites, for the same '80 European tour..

But then, there is this picture of him on stage playing what is claimed to be a 57' sunburst Strat, from a Bad Company jam. Who knows if he ever broke it out for anything else.

The double DVD concert footage that was released a few years back that included some of Knebworth in '79 shows him jamming on the blue Strat, if you haven't already seen it. Pretty good stuff. If you haven't seen it, it can be found here..
    "What would rock and roll be without feedback?" - David Gilmour

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." - Richard Ashcroft

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." - Richard Ashcroft

Quote Originally Posted by guitars247 View Post
    But then, there is this picture of him on stage playing what is claimed to be a 57' sunburst Strat, from a Bad Company jam. Who knows if he ever broke it out for anything else.
    That may be Mick Ralphs' axe... he had quite a few very similar vintage Strats with maple necks - though... who'd know for sure??? Re that Knebwoth footage - how'd we ever get by before locking tuners, nuts and super whammies?
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

pasqualini got it first, but this is the first one that came to mind

Led Zeppelin - In The Evening - Live
    Greco Gold Top

'06 60th Standard

'02 Epi Dot

You can tell a lot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans.
    Ronald Reagan

Thanks for the useful links.

And it doesn't matter what he's got going he always sounds like Page!

I read while looking up those links about Jimmy's gear that the whole intro section to In the Evening was supposedly part of a 23-minute soundtrack that Jimmy had written for a movie called Lucifer Rising that was never released.

On a side note, I have always loved how the springs in the Strat on In the Evening creak and rattle during the big dives......I dunno why, just always loved that.

TFF Stage Crew

Here is everything you'll ever want to know about Jimmy's guitars:
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum...d.php?t=889990

71818, thanks. Great link.

Quote Originally Posted by 71818 View Post
    Here is everything you'll ever want to know about Jimmy's guitars:
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum...d.php?t=889990

Wow, that's kind of creepy!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Yeah that is the most detailed guitar thread I can think of lol. WOW.
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Almost makes you wonder what kind of sticks Bonham used, and how tall his stool was, and how dense the foam in the seat was.
    Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post
    Almost makes you wonder what kind of sticks Bonham used, and how tall his stool was, and how dense the foam in the seat was.
    And that doesn't even count all of the questions about the roll of quarters Robert Plant used to stick in his trousers.....

Plant used rolls of half dollars and the occasional Stratocucumber.

But hey, I like the detailed lists. The history of rock is partly the history of its writers, performers, their instruments and recordings.

is it sad i read the whole thing?

funny thing with page, which i think we all know, is that he will never ever disclose what exactly he used what song. seems weird to me, but what the hell, sometimes it's nice to believe in magic.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    and the occasional Stratocucumber.
    Somewhere in there is a joke about playing with your whammy bar, but I haven't had my cup of coffee yet.....

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Jimmy's known, of course, for his Tele and Les Paul playing, but he's also known to have used a Strat occasionally.

Am I right to think he's using a Strat on "All of My Love"? I've read that the "Stairway..." solo was recorded with a Strat, but I've also read that he used a Tele for it.

What are some tunes on which Page plays a Strat?
    I forget the name, Hots on for Nowhere?

Plays a Strat and uses whammy.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    funny thing with page, which i think we all know, is that he will never ever disclose what exactly he used what song. seems weird to me, but what the hell, sometimes it's nice to believe in magic.
    On the other hand, eventhough we should all be out buying more instruments and gizmos to recusutate the economy , hopefully some people will realize that (certain wierd effects aside) a lot of how you sound comes from how you play.
    Elvis Costello

I don't fault Page for not disclosing his secrets. Do magicians tell you how they do their tricks?

After Beethoven died, he left behind a whole lot of sketch books and unfinished work, including a tenth sympthony. Musicologists have been poring through that stuff for decades. Maybe it somewhat diminishes the aura to see how it was done or to realize that there were clunkers that never saw the light of day.

Brahms, on the other hand, seeing how his predecessor fared at the hands of the historians, carefully destroyed everything but the final product when he was getting up there. Subsequently, all we have are the finished works.

I kind of feel bad for a guy like Jimi Hendrix. He's not around to protect himself and so every last little squeak he ever committed to tape has been released. Frankly, there's some stuff that sounds less than spectacular.

Or, consider the "lost" Beatles songs that showed up a few years ago. I'm sure there was a damn good reason John didn't want to release that stuff.
    s'all goof.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka View Post
    Or, consider the "lost" Beatles songs that showed up a few years ago. I'm sure there was a damn good reason John didn't want to release that stuff.
    I agree with what you're saying. It kind of diminishes some of the "mystique" and awe you might have of the artist.

But at the same time, for frusturated songwriters, it helps put things in perspective when you can hear with your own ears that even Lennon and McCartney didn't put pen to paper and automatically crank out "A Day in the Life" every time. Sometimes, it took many revisions, working out the kinks, and collaboration to turn a rough diamond into a polished jewel.

But what that Douglas guy did with all of the unreleased Hendrix stuff back in the 70s did piss me off. I mean, most of that stuff wasn't anything more than what amounts to a painter's doodle.

After Beethoven died, he left behind a whole lot of sketch books and unfinished work, including a tenth sympthony. Musicologists have been poring through that stuff for decades. Maybe it somewhat diminishes the aura to see how it was done or to realize that there were clunkers that never saw the light of day.
    I find analysis of works in progress fascinating. Sometimes even more so tha the finished product.

Jimi, OTOH, has had his legacy strip-mined so many times. It doesn't diminish my impression of him. Just the folks who own the tapes.
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    I find analysis of works in progress fascinating. Sometimes even more so than the finished product.
    +1

I don't think there's ever been that much of a mystery about Led Zeppelin's compositions or songwriting.
    With all the advances in digital recording and effects, and the ability to have a studio in your PC, some of Page's sonic mysteries lose their mystique.
    Elvis Costello

On the other hand, eventhough we should all be out buying more instruments and gizmos to recusutate the economy , hopefully some people will realize that (certain wierd effects aside) a lot of how you sound comes from how you play.

David Gilmour is a great example of that. Gilmour plays through an army of gizmos and is known to play through any off the shelf effect. It always sounds like Gilmour.

Quote Originally Posted by General Specific View Post
    David Gilmour is a great example of that. Gilmour plays through an army of gizmos and is known to play through any off the shelf effect. It always sounds like Gilmour.
    +1.....

It doesn't matter if he is playing the black strat, or the red strat, or a tele or that one with 24 frets, or an acoustic.......you can tell when it is David Gilmour playing the guitar.

Forum Member

...hopefully some people will realize that (certain wierd effects aside) a lot of how you sound comes from how you play.

I don't think there's ever been that much of a mystery about Led Zeppelin's compositions or songwriting.
    Sure these was. It's a classic case of whodunnit?
    orange picks

Forum Member

The Darkest Depths Of Mordor.

Oh, sure, I agree about finding the work-in-progress stuff interesting as a musician.

I'm just saying that it can have the effect of dulling the lustre of the finished work to a certain extent, even as you're admiring the craft that produced it.

When an artist is alive, they make certain choices, guided by their sense of artistry. Then, after they're dead, whoever inherits the rights to that stuff makes certain choices, usually guided by their greed to profit from the reputation of the deceased artist. It leaves a bad taste, no?
    s'all goof.

Quote Originally Posted by guitars247 View Post
    +1.....

It doesn't matter if he is playing the black strat, or the red strat, or a tele or that one with 24 frets, or an acoustic.......you can tell when it is David Gilmour playing the guitar.
    or a Gretch or even a Les Paul.

Oh, sure, I agree about finding the work-in-progress stuff interesting as a musician.

I'm just saying that it can have the effect of dulling the lustre of the finished work to a certain extent, even as you're admiring the craft that produced it.

When an artist is alive, they make certain choices, guided by their sense of artistry. Then, after they're dead, whoever inherits the rights to that stuff makes certain choices, usually guided by their greed to profit from the reputation of the deceased artist. It leaves a bad taste, no?

Jimi Hendrix - Crash Landing

It leaves a bad taste, no?
    Definitely.

And a big, HUGE +1 on....

Dude overdubs other people (including a session guitarist) and then has the nads to put himself into a co-songwriter credit. What a prick.