Thread: Building a 5E3, Can I Do It?

Forum Member

Building a 5E3, Can I Do It?

I'm considering building a 5E3 kit. I'm a bit spooked-out by the task, as I have never built an amp.

I've built 7 stomp box kits to get my feet wet, (and they all work!). I do all my own auto repair, (I drive old BMWs, Saabs and Audi so my tool box is deep) true not an amp, but I'm hopping its the same skill set. I'm a designer and project manager at an art studio, so my visual skills are above most folks. I know my hands can do it..

I'm not even sure why I want to build a 5E3. I've read many favorable post and it 'seems' to be the best selling kit (the only kit Mission sells). I've never even played one. What other amps of similar complexity should be considered?

I'm I crazy?
    What do ya think, can I make it work?

P e a c e
    KYChuck

Re: Building a 5E3, Can I Do It?

Go for it! Seems like you got the right stuff...attention to detail, patience, tools, the idea of bringing together a bunch of parts and giving them life, etc.

Once you start you can't stop.

Have fun!
    Mandopicker

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

E-Z, just don't zap yourself. And take your time and quit for the day if something frustrates you. You'll be amazed at how easy it is. But I will tell you a secret: after you get it built and working is when the real fun begins - tweaking it. You will want to get the best power tubes you can find and then take bias readings. It is muy importante to get the resistor value right on a cathode biased amp since you can't otherwise adjust it. After you get good tubes biased right, then you can start playing with cap/resistor values and fine tuning it.

Actually, if you were to do this right, you should build a 5F2 first. It would easier for you to understand how it all works together if you did a 5F2.

The biggest danger is not being able to stop building!
    My first full build was the 5E3 earlier this year.

I'm on my fourth now (Matchless Spitfire, point to point),
    with more waiting in the wings.

The best amp guys are right here at TFF!

Are you color blind at all?
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

+1 for a Princeton or Champ first build.
    It's not like you'll only build one amp for life and be done with it.
    The 5C1 to 5F2 amps are super simple, easy to really understand what does what in them and are outstanding learning tools.
    I'd think a Tweed Deluxe would make an excellent second build once you get the whole build/tweak/retweak thing down on a Champ.

It's a lot easier to learn wire dress and component alignment to eliminate noise on a simple amp running 2 or 3 tubes than one with a half dozen & that's where a lot of noobs find out how frustrating that skill (or lack of it) can be. Their amp often sounds awesome in overall tone but it just too noisy to use. The concepts are very simple, but a Deluxe has a lot of simple components compared to a Champ or Princeton.

You might also consider finding old amps to fix as a way to learn the ins & outs of amps. I did that and my first amp went so well I only changed one capacitor before I felt I was done with it. Of course fixing about 12 amps before that first build helped my understanding of which cap to change and which way to go (up or down in value) to find the sound I wanted. It idles dead quiet with the volume cranked up about 80% and I used all old 1950s salvaged components in it. It's usable all the way to wide open, not too noisy at all. Very giggable in fact.

I think being your own greasmonkey is very similar in a lot of ways to building your own amps and many of the skills translate pretty well from one to another. Details, details & details make all the difference. The biggest difference is that while you get get canned by high current under the hood, it usually won't stop your heart. An amp can do that before you ever see the blue lights.

I loved overhauling my BMW 2002, but it wasn't my first time busting knuckles! I'm currently building a 1950 Willys Wagon 4x4 with a 1988 Toyota 4x4 5 speed trans, FI V-6, Toyo transfer & 1984 Toyota 1-ton straight axles. While it's a very fun, worthwhile & satisfying task, I'd suggest a brake job or a tune up for the first time you get dirty under your car. You'll eventually build that hotrod you dig ... and then another ... and then another ... and ....

Cheers,
    - JJ
    Last edited by JJ Gross; 12-13-2008 at 04:20 PM.
    "I bet your Momma was a tent-show Queen ..."

As there isn't a whole lot of difference in the skill level required to build a Champ, Princeton or Deluxe I'd build what I wanted - hell I started with a Bassman - made my mistakes - but got it going in the end and it's quiet enough to use wide open all the time... next trick is an input switch (external - a la Tom Anderton's 'spluffer' with a few mods) so I can use the 5F6A clone for rhythm and add another amp (probably my hot-rodded 5E3 head w/6L6's) for lead work... have a look around the forum and you'll find some good pics of how to wire an amp neatly and efficiently - particularly TJ's (NTBluesGuitar) work... and just remember to discharge yer power supply caps every time you wanna go reaching into whatever you decide on - again plenty info around here on how to do that - a priceless piece of advice came from Chris Neel - yer not building a space shuttle - feel the fear and go for it!! Thing is about a 5E3 - once it's built there are loads of tweaks you can do to make it sound how you'd like... and they're just about loud enough to hear it over a hard hitting drummer...
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

If I recall Bruce from Mission amps can 'fix' your kit if you happen to have an issue, assuming you want a 5e3
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

Here are some pics of the two that I've done:

5F1 Champ (Elicross adopted this one):

5E3 (well, 5E3P, same circuit but with iron and tubes for a 40W version):

As you get started, I have lots of pics of some projects that I will be happy to share if you have questions.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Thank you all for your advise and positive energy.

No Im not color blind, good question.

Thanks for noting that a Champ may be a better first project. It may actually be a better match for the way I use an amp.

Thanks for the offers of help, Im gonna need it.

I sent some links to my dad who worked on radios in WWII. He may be my tech...ha ha. Could be an interesting project for a 85 year old dad and his 44 year old son. My 6 year old son can turn it all the way up when we are done.

P e a c e
    KYChuck

Forum Member

do you still have the 2002?

KYC

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Chucky -email me. i have some stuff you may be interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by KYChucky View Post
    Thank you all for your advise and positive energy.

No Im not color blind, good question.

P e a c e
    KYChuck
    I have a pedal here I simply gave up on (thunderchief) as I became so frustrated with all the color coded stuff. I had my father work on it a while, but it has been partially done now for a year in a box.
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

Forum Member

I say go for it. I got my feet wet with NT's HRDX conversion. I had no electronics experience at all. I just got real familiar with how not to get zapped, and dove in. The generosity of the people on this forum will be enough to get you through. I just started scrounging parts for my 5e3 build. My cabinet is almost done, and I got hold of a chassis on the cheap. The cabinet build brings to light one of the best aspects of amp building. No sawdust!