Thread: Help with indicator lamp on a Blackface build

Forum Member

Help with indicator lamp on a Blackface build

Greetings!

I am just going to swallow my pride and say that I cannot seem to install an indicator lamp to my satisfaction on my current blackface (AB763) build. (This build is based on Ted Weber's 6A20HP).

I did not like the stock lamp which comes with the 6A20HP kit (it is chrome-plated plastic, and just didn't feel very sturdy to me) so I opted for a real Fend@r-style replacement, such as the bayonette-style lamps (metal housing) which Weber also sells in several colors.

First problem: the hole in the faceplate is a bit too large for a real metal housing-type lamp. The solution to this problem was to sacrifice a second bayonette housing and craft an appropriate-sized washer from the mounting ring of the housing. This seems to work just fine.

Now I have encountered a second problem: The bayonette-style lamp housing simply will not seem to mount in this particular chassis. With the base plate of the housing towards the chassis surface, the unit must be bent too much to accommodate a bulb. With the housing base turned towards the (near) side, the metal fold in the chassis prevents the housing's mounting ring from sitting flush against the inside of the chassis face. In the other two positions (upside-down, opposite side), I simply cannot get the mounting nut to engage the bezel. I have been screwing around with this during much of the past weekend, and I am embarrassed to admit I have made no progress on this issue. This is not fun anymore, so I am asking for help.

It now occurs to me that perhaps I am simply stuck with the plastic lamp, unless I want to order a new faceplate and reposition the hole for the lamp. I know that a lot of blackface builds have been done by other forum members. Has anyone else been down this road, and if so, can offer any ideas?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Re: Help with indicator lamp on a Blackface build

I did the same thing on my 6A20 build and I got it to work, but it's not worth the hastle. I've used the plastic Weber one on several builds since and they work just fine. I looked through my pictures of the build to see if I had a shot of it, but no luck sorry.

I'm on my fourth build.

I do it the slow, expensive way, I guess.
    I source all of my parts, and then fit them to the chassis.
    Sometimes I have to get quite creative.
    It takes more time, it costs more, but I get the chance to engineer my own solutions.
    I use the repro (copy) Fender jewels from Weber that uses a 5/8" hole, with a 3/4" washer to cover it. Not sure exactly why it won't work in your case. Use a larger, thicker backup washer on the inside of the chassis perhaps?
    Show a pic?
    I'm slow trying to figure your verbal description.

Forum Member

Thanks everyone, for the replies. I am going to try a few other things over the next few days, but if I cannot get the metal assembly to go in, I'll just re-order the plastic Weber one, as Wingnut already suggested. I guess I was being stubborn about using a real metal one, but it may not be worth the fight.

Thanks again.

Mine was tight but I got it to fit... I insulated the underside of mine with cardboard so it sits tight against the chassis. Remember it can be installed sideways too.

Tommy.

Forum Member

I am going to take a fresh crack at it this weekend. Thanks again to all for their help!

Don't say crack!

Seriously, good luck on this. I've only dealt with Weber's Tweed kits, and got the metal assembly in, although it was a bit tight.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke