Thread: 5B3 or 5C3 Tweed Deluxe Question

5B3 or 5C3 Tweed Deluxe Question

Does anyone have any experience with these, or any TD's that use 6SC7's in the preamp stages?

I'm curious how the sound compares to the 5E3.
    I have several nice old 6SC7's and might convert my 5E3 homebrew.

Similar breakup?
    Less or more headroom?
    Less or more volume?

I would like lower volume and quicker breakup. Even with a 12AY7, this amp is still a bit too loud for me.

Re: 5B3 or 5C3 Tweed Deluxe Question

Well the amplification factor of the preamp tubes is 70, more than a 12AY7. I don't have a lot of experience with paraphase inverters, but I suspect they're a lot dirtier than a split load.

Expect mondo sag from that 10K resistor between poles on the B+ rail.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I'd think of what yer gonna be able to get yer hands on in the future - that's why we build stuff around what's available - not what I've got in my goody boxes - we've come across a pretty damned good AX7 type - the 6H2c-EB - very quiet and rugged bottles (guaranteed to the old CCCP generals for 5000 hrs with some impressive impact shock ratings as well) and there are thousands available at present time - only problem is - it's not a straight swap as pin 9's a screen between the triodes and the heaters are on pins 4&5 - so do we try and corner the market on the existing stocks as they're pretty damned cheap and hope the demand doesn't outstrip our supply or do we just carry on using normal AX7's?... As we don't even actually know our supplier (though we've not had any probs so far) we're forced to design or clone amps we can get New Sensor stuff for... a great shame but... I personally wouldn't mess with yer 5E3 - it's a good little amp as is - if the other Deluxe variants were better - they'd be a more popular choice - BTW - I got a coupla nice NOS 12AY7's from Tube Depot for about $25 a pop - worth every penny...
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

Cool...you guys rock!

Kap'n, I'll try that sag trick. I was looking at it on your other posts.
    Rob, I suppose you're right. I hate to see these 6SC7's homeless.
    I guess the easiest way to check them out is a Champ build.

I'm still happy I took the time to use the 6SN7 as a power tube in my little 2 watt gain monster. It does sound great!