Thread: 5F2A Re-Cab Poll

5F2A Re-Cab Poll

Some of you may know, I inherited the original Fezzter 5F2A Prince G cab. It was the one that Weber replaced because of the peeling tolex. Here's how it looked when I adopted it:

Oh, and a shot of one of the areas where the tolex was coming loose:

I finally got around to re-covering it with tweed last weekend, but hadn't done the grill cloth yet. So, for the time being, I put the original salt & pepper covered baffle in the cab until I can get around to re-doing it. The wife saw it and said she thought it looked neat, and now I'm trying to decide if I want leave it this way, because I also think it's kind of cool looking (since it still has a black leather handle).

What do y'all think?

Of course, I may just have a 12" speaker baffle made for it, too and just give it the traditional oxblood grill.

Choices!!!
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Re: 5F2A Re-Cab Poll

I like it! Non-traditional, but very cool.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

It's kinda giving me a sore head! I vote oxblood to be honest. Maybe it looks better in the flesh?
    It's a great tweed job though!
    What circuit are you going with?

Quote Originally Posted by ziess View Post
    It's kinda giving me a sore head! I vote oxblood to be honest. Maybe it looks better in the flesh?
    That's actually my only complaint...someone else also mentioned how the pattern kind of hurt his eyes, too. It looks like this in person.

As far as circuit? I'm not sure yet...I'm leaning back to a stock 5F2A. But I haven't even begun to get parts for it yet. Lots on the bench, still.

Thanks for the replies so far!
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Oxblood fer sure.

Great job on "tweedifying" it though!
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Fender tweed is supposed to run NW to SE (or vice versa) on the front (grill side) and there should be opposite or inverted 'chevrons' on the top seams. Don't fret, it took me a couple of times to get it right as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    Fender tweed is supposed to run NW to SE (or vice versa) on the front (grill side) and there should be opposite or inverted 'chevrons' on the top seams.
    Huh...who would've thunk it. Thanks for that.

Looks like I got two of the pieces right at least. Dug these pics up of an original '59:

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

One more vote for oxblood. I think the salt-n-pepper just looks too "busy" in combination with the tweed.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    One more vote for oxblood. I think the salt-n-pepper just looks too "busy" in combination with the tweed.
    Yeah, I'm seein' the writing on the wall.

I already put the new grillcloth on earlier tonight.

Here it is along with some of the other projects on my 'bench':

Thanks for all the advice, y'all!

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Looks good!

Although...I don't know how to tell you this...but the speaker hole in the baffle is maybe a hair off-center.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Well, it came from the factory that way.

-Edmund Burke

HERESY !....

What would it do if you put some sort of "tweeter" speaker in the
    upper right ? ! ( I realise you'd have to balance the 2 to get the correct impedance).
    Last edited by Direstraits; 12-07-2008 at 04:38 AM.

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

I'll take that VibroVerb in the background!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

NT, what are the measurements on that cab? I inherited a 1x12 tweed cab and I am wondering whether it is a 5F2 or a custom job.

Most tweed speaker holes are offset on the baffle anyway so the speaker frame clears the OT.
    Hey TJ, got any spare grille?

Tommy.

Quote Originally Posted by ziess View Post
    Most tweed speaker holes are offset on the baffle anyway so the speaker frame clears the OT.
    Hey TJ, got any spare grille?

Tommy.
    FYI, I have both spare OB grill and a spare 5E3 OB baffle (Weber or Mojo).

How much grille are we talking? I need enough to do a tweed Tremolux baffle (almost the same size as a Bandmaster). I'd take almost anything, doesn't have to be oxblood.

Tommy.

I have some, but not sure about the sizes. I have two cabs to do soon and have full pieces of the oxblood/yellow (tweed) and wheatstraw (smooth blonde), so I don't know what the leftovers will be. Might have the 60s Brown Oxeblood that may work for your needs, but would need to know some specific sizes to know for sure.

Gris, this cab is 17" x 18" x 8 1/2". The height includes the feet...so, it's 16 3/4" for the wood height without the feet.

The original 5F2A has the speaker centered, BTW, but I also prefer the offset speakers for balance reasons.

Oh, OSA, that BFVV isn't an original...but you probably know that. That and it's missing a cab.
    Last edited by NTBluesGuitar; 12-07-2008 at 08:10 AM.

-Edmund Burke

Hmmm, looks like i got an 5F2 cab with a 1x12 baffle. NTB, one more favor - how far apart from each other are the centers of chassis bolt mounting holes on a std 5F2 chassis (trying to figure out what it was drilled for previously).

No problem, Gris. Chassis mouning holes are 12 3/4" on center.

-Edmund Burke