Thread: P-90 soapbars to fit Humbucker slots

P-90 soapbars to fit Humbucker slots

Any strong opinions here?

Just acquired yet "another" guitar, and I think this one is a good candidate for a "retro" P-90's early/mid 50's set-up.

Currently has standard sized humbuckers, and I do not wish to cut wood...everything fully reversible.

Re: P-90 soapbars to fit Humbucker slots

A real or standard P90 will not fit the standard humbucker route. You'll need to explore one of the many "P90-wrapped-in-a-humbucker-sized-package" options out there if you don't want to remove any wood.
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

Harmonic Design Z-90.

I've tried a few out, and this one wins, hands down.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

I've tried the Duncan Phat Cats. I thought they had a pretty nice sound, a really nice sound in fact, but not particularly P-90ish.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I'll just add this about the Z-90's:

If you listen to Frisell's Good Dog, Happy Man album, it's got Z-90's all over it.

If I compare the Z-90 to a standard P-90, it's different, for sure. The Z-90 is, I don't know, richer or something. It seems a little more hi-fi and complex, but still very P-90'ish.

I have a friend with Phat Cats in a guitar, and it's loads of fun, too, but the guitar is a semi-hollow with a Bigsby, and it's hard to sort out how much of what I hear is the guitar or the pickups.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

Harmonic Design Z-90, Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queen, Gibson P-94, and Seymour Duncan Phat Cats all seem to be in the offings...

What I bought is a early/mid 70's Super 400. Beautiful condition (just one dingy which will eventually be dealt with properly), no finish checking, golden sunburst, gold pickup covers and pickguard replaced (that bad plastic outgassing corrosion), etc.

I'll make a whole new harness, new pots and caps, go for retro Gold Hat knobs, etc. Think "Hound Dog"...

Are the GFS Mean 90 pups any good? They would be perfect for this, and I've been impressed with some of their other offerings.

Here are a couple pics of what I did... Gibson P-94's, Gold High Hats with Volume/Tone, 300k linear pots with .02 caps, .001 treble bleeds.

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...0/t_=128790530

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    Are the GFS Mean 90 pups any good? They would be perfect for this, and I've been impressed with some of their other offerings.
    There are alot of GFS threads,and I think their model has been discussed.
    I have heard nothing but good things about their Dream Series---here are some reviews.
    http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...Dream+180/10/1

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r.../Dream+90/10/1
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Forum Member

I have a set of gfs dream 90's in a 2001 santana se and I'm quite satisfied with them. I haven't used any other humbucker sized p90 style pcikup so i have no idea how they stack up to the harmonic designs or p94's (i think that's the name of the gibson model). I have had them in that guitar for 2-3 years at this point and i haven't had any desire to change them. Recently I have been thinking about replacing them with some humbuckers, but that's simply because I don't have any humbucker guitars.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

I have a Dream 90 never installed, any takerss?

I've been using the GFS P-90 in my tele for a couple of years and have had great results. Of course I have no other P90 to compare it to. I may try a Duncan Phat Cat in the future.
    "I don't play no cords."
    -B.B. King