Thread: Should I replace my Pro Junior?

Should I replace my Pro Junior?

Hey guys, I own a relatively brand new Fender Pro Junior and I really enjoy the tones out of it. Only thing is that the noise it produces has been driving me nuts. I have rerouted and twisted the heater wires in it, and changed all of the tubes (JJ EL84s, JJ12AT7 in V2 and GT12AX7R in V1). The top center screw in mine also doesn't touch the tone pot or the surrounding shield so that isn't an issue. The noise in it persists, albeit a little more subdued (BTW, when I refer to noise, I refer to the noise of the amp at idle with nothing plugged in and turned down all of the way). I have heard that doubling up the first stage 47uF 450v caps can help both tonally and noise wise by adding more filtering and I have a new set of caps in the mail, so we'll see.

That said, is there anything else I can possibly do to reduce the idle noise of my amp without basically replacing everything? I really like the amp's tone, but I can't really deal with the noise outside of a loud unmic'd gig situation where it doesn't matter as much.

As an ammendium, what are comparable replacements for a PJr. that aren't noisy? I have been considering the 15 watt Blackheart Handsome Devil head since I hear it's versatile and quiet running (I have a cab I can use so heads are an option). Thanks!

Re: Should I replace my Pro Junior?

I just completely disassembled the amp and remounted the output transformer on it rotated 90 degrees since I noticed Fender had installed it parallel to the power transformer. I noticed no change in noise, however. I still have the caps coming in the mail though, so we'll wait and see what that does. That said, the noise this particular amp produces isn't bad compared to stock, but my Valve Junior head is quieter still.

Isn't the nature of the Pro & Blues Jr. to be a little noisy? That said: you may just be ready to move on to another amp. I know when I was of a mind to trade up or move on, nothing was gonna make me happy wit the current amp. And I always found a noise/rattle/issue that I couldn't get around.

But I'm nuts. YMMV.
    Time wounds all heels.

Let's look at it another way: you really shouldn't care in the least what the amp sounds like when it is idling. The only thing of real concern is what it sounds like when it's being played!

I mean, do you really care what a clarinet sounds like when no one is blowing through it?

Quote Originally Posted by juniorspecial View Post
    Let's look at it another way: you really shouldn't care in the least what the amp sounds like when it is idling. The only thing of real concern is what it sounds like when it's being played!

I mean, do you really care what a clarinet sounds like when no one is blowing through it?
    You, my friend, have won the Internet with this post. Well said.
    Time wounds all heels.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Not necessarily. My drummer is a FREAK about noise. He owns/runs the PA and mics all of us. If there is hiss or hum, he panics thinking it might be something bigger/worse in the line than a noisy amp; i.e., he HAS (LOL) to have quiet amps so he can assess everything else. Sometimes the other guitarist and I will mess with him during sound-check by stepping on one of our noisier pedals, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by voided3 View Post
    I just completely disassembled the amp...
    Speaking of completely disassembling the amp... Sorry, I have a rep for doing that and a whole lot more.

Seriously, these amps do have some noise by nature. Go to a store that has one of these and try it out. It may be just the amp's design.

In your case, have you deduced whether or not the noise is environmental or not? Fluorescent lights, noisy power supply in the house, computers, TVs, radios, cell phones, etc.?
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

I have to agree about the noise, it is inherit with these, largely because of the AC tube filament heaters. That said, I have only one more thing I am willing to try which is replace the first stage 47uF 450v cap with a pair of new ones (as per the BillM spec) which I currently have coming in the mail. I know you can change the amp over to DC offset for the heaters, but that is a slightly more involved mod than what I am willing do for now (though I may reconsider).

Perhaps I am being to hard on it though, since for the money these are great amps. I have lately been modding the snot out of mine and I like it even more. I have swapped the stock speaker for a Ragin Cajun (best and most noticeable change; sounds great), rerouted the wiring/twisted the heaters, installed a toggle switch on the negative feedback loop to change the sound of the amp's breakup, moved the output transformer, snipped the C2 cap (didn't seem to change much in the tone control's voice though), and changed the knobs to Tele dome style knobs w/ felt strap button washers underneath them (the chicken heads' sleeves were putting pressure on the side of the pot shafts; not a good feeling and these support them).

My consensus: I like the amp's tone and size a lot and the noise, while noticeable in a practice, recording, or VERY intimate/solo gig situation, isn't with a band (plus you can put a noise gate on the mic for recording or if you have a good live PA rig). When/if it blows up ever, I'll either buy a Blackheart head to run into it's cab w/ the Cajun, or something like a 5E3 or Marshall 20 watt kit head if finances allow. For now though, it's a keeper. And to summarize for those looking for simple noise reduction tips, try the following:

1) New preamp tubes w/ short plates; my stock preamp tubes were noisy. Try some tubes with lower gain too (12AT7, 12AY7, 12AU7, 5751, etc.)
    2) (for older variants) remove the top center back panel screw; doesn't touch the shield or tone pot on the new ones though
    3) Cut the zip ties holding together the wiring and spread them out, then twist together, starting at the center, the two green heater wires leading to the tube socket board.

I'll report back on what the new caps do (hopefully something!).

I really like these Pro Juniors...wasn't meaning to insinuate otherwise.

These are great platforms for conversions (gut and rebuild with hand-wired circuitry), too. I've seen a lot of them done, and have done one myself. All I can say about that is that, with the one I did, the noise is not there after the job.

It's a really serious job, though, and generally a last-resort thing, unless you're into 'reverse-engineering'.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by voided3 View Post
    And to summarize for those looking for simple noise reduction tips, try the following:

1) New preamp tubes w/ short plates; my stock preamp tubes were noisy. Try some tubes with lower gain too (12AT7, 12AY7, 12AU7, 5751, etc.)
    2) (for older variants) remove the top center back panel screw; doesn't touch the shield or tone pot on the new ones though
    3) Cut the zip ties holding together the wiring and spread them out, then twist together, starting at the center, the two green heater wires leading to the tube socket board.
    OR......you can spare yerseff a lotta grief by jus' buyin' a vintage PTP-wired Princeton Reverb which, relatively speakin', idles quieter than a church mouse, is plenty loud, an' delivers some of the best mojo tonage ever recorded in a studio.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I'll report back on what the new caps do (hopefully something!).
    Please do! I am working on a friend's PJ - have done the heater wires, center screw, and tube swaps, but still have the idle hiss.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained as stupidity"

To answer the original posted question: Should I replace my Pro Junior ?

Yes, just get a Deluxe Reverb and get on with your life Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Totally bored View Post
    To answer the original posted question: Should I replace my Pro Junior ?

Yes, just get a Deluxe Reverb and get on with your life Dude