Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hendrix Concert Bootleg, 1968

Hendrix Concert Bootleg, 1968

One of my guitar students, who happens to love Hendrix (don't we all), gave me a CD last night which was a copy of a bootleg done in Ottawa, Canada in 1968. Not a great recording but you can really really hear that giant sound and tone Hendrix got live. My favourite part was when he says to the audience "let me breathe" and then goes into a 5 minute session of simply making sounds with the Strat. For those who think he did most of his cool sounds in the studio, think again. This is absolutely on-the-edge, insane, jaw-dropping Strat abuse, a real explosion of pure sound, no melody or chords. And if that ain't enough, it happens to be the intro to Purple Haze.

For me, the coolest thing about this bootleg is that I was AT that concert. Yep 40 years ago. It sure brought back memories. I was a teenage guitar player who had NO IDEA one could make an outdated and un-cool surf guitar sound like THAT. I had a front row seat in the old movie theatre where he played and was seated no more than 15 ft away from the stage, right in front of Hendrix. I left feeling like I had been hit by a crosstown bus and knocked into an alternate reality. Lots of guys do that kind of thing now, but for those of you who remember the time, hearing it for the first time was ... transformative.

Let's hear from some of you guys about that one concert that blew you away. Doesn't have to be from the distant past like mine.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Re: Hendrix Concert Bootleg, 1968

Wow! That is a great story. I can't top it or even come close.

But... the one concert that blew me away was at Hammerjack's in Baltimore. It's a medium-sized club. I saw Steve Vai there, probably in '94 or thereabouts. I was about 12 feet from him the whole night and just kind of stood there with my jaw on the floor.
    s'all goof.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    Let's hear from some of you guys about that one concert that blew you away. Doesn't have to be from the distant past like mine.
    Monterey.

"Summer Of Love"
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Phantom, you teaser. We want DETAILS!

And this doesn't have to be a competition. We don't have to top each other. Maybe the transformative experience for you was watching some hotshot player, whose name you forget, in bar somewhere.

I grew up with Band of Gypsys

Awesome guitar Had it stolen 2X already

A magical Concert moment that I experienced was at a Crowded House Concert at the Hollywood Pantages Theater in the 80's which Roger McGuinn opened as a solo act, playing his electric 12-string Rickenbacker.

Near the end of McGuinn's set the curtain rose as he went into "Eight Miles High" with Crowded House as his backing band and it gave me goose bumps. The event was actually recorded and released on a CD.

I obviously wasnt there, but zeppelin at madison square garden 73 and that performance of since Ive been loving you has scarred me for life.
    Mitch Mitchell talking about Jimi and strats in general.
    If the walrus is Paul then who is Carmen Sandiego?

Awesome you got to see Jimi live,I am unworthy as my my concert highlights are Queen,Led and the one that totally amazed me The Who with Moon.Jimi was probably the most ground breaking strat player EVER I remember blowing up mom and pops magnavox console stereo blasting are you experienced back in the 60's I never heard anything quite like it Gary

Ry Cooder and The Chicken Skin Revue band featuring Flaco Jimenez...New York late 1976...possibly The Bottom Line.
    Great performance.
    Saw Ry with David Lindley in Sydney a few years after that..fantastic.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Robert Fripp doing a Frippertronincs show at Just A Song Records in Albany, NY, maybe 1981ish.

Just Robert, his old 3-pickup LP Custom, a small Cornish board with fuzz, wah and volume, a Music Man amp, and two Revox tape recorders.

I was sitting right in front of him, about ten feet away.

He created some awsome soundscapes, crashing waves of organic sound. Told stories and answered questions (a little odd, but quite coherent and incisive) while the tape was rewinding, and soloed over the tape for the second half.

I had no idea guitar could do anything like that.

I had the misfortune of seeing him do a similar concept with a refridgerator-sized rack a couple of years ago. It was like a lecture, cold and clinical. The music was the same.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Black Sabbath was doing their "final tour" w/Ozzy arond late '77- early'78 and we had to go see the Oz man! The opening act was a local Cincy band "Spike" and the second band was Van Halen. We were all going to see Ozzy and support are hometown boys. None of us had even heard of VH when the tickets went on sale.

About two weeks prior to the show the local radio station, WEBN, began playing the new single off the forthcoming VH album, Running With the Devil. This was back in the day when singles were introduced well before the album.

We were all saying, "these guys are pretty good, should be a great show!" We didn't know the half of it... Ed was all of 18/19 and he looked it!

After Spike went off stage the house lights didn't come on. Kinda' strange as the house lights always came on between acts. Well within five minutes of Spike going off stage we were treated to some thunderous guitar riffin' and then a long pick slide... Then a lone spot light hit this "kid" with a beat up Strat clone that was playing with two hands!

You could feel everyone's jaw just hit the floor! My guitar playin' buds and I were just a few years younger than Ed at the time and it gave us all hope.

The whole scene at the time was dominated by the old school bands, Zep, Stones,Who, Queen, etc... But these guys were young and they blew the old timers club (Black Sabbath) right off the stage. They payed VH I in its entirety and You're No Good from VH II.

VH became the buzz and that first record sold like proverbial hot ckaes when it hit the stores the following month.

I've seen some really great shows since then, but none as eye opening!

I saw Hendrix in July or August 1968 - in Bridgeport, CT. The Soft Machine opened for him. I remember a bunch of what we called "teeny boppers" screaming for Purple Haze, and he finally stopped and told them "If you want to hear Purple Haze you're going to have to wait until the end". I think he was tired of playing it by then, and was mostly doing the great stuff from Axis:Bold as Love. Of course, being from that era I have the t-shirt that says "if you remember the 60's, you weren't there". So I don't remember much more, other than one song title from the Soft Machine - "Goodbye old horse, thanks for the use of your body"..........

I did get to see SRV in a small theatre in Kingston, NY in 1984. Stevie came out and just started playing, didn't stop or take a breath or even say anything for 75 minutes - he just wailed it non-stop. Of all the guitar players I've seen in concert, he came as close to sounding like Hendrix as anyone. He understands that you need to feel the guitar as well as hear it - and therefore turned up the BASS on his guitar rig quite a bit. When he hit the strings, you could feel it. One of just a few concerts I've attended where everyone was just walking out the door afterwards saying "Wow" over and over.

This is a lot of fun and am knocked out by some of these posts. In retrospect, it was really amazing to see Hendrix in such a small venue. I did a bit of searching and discovered that there were only 800 people at that show. While digging around, I also remembered that I saw Cream there a month later. Same theatre, the Capitol in Ottawa, Canada. Those were the days when small cities would often be part of a larger tour and we got see amazing acts in amazingly small venues.

My second ever live show was Led Zep at Knebworth in '79. I had just turned 17 and had my Mum get me the tickets for my birthday (she had to queue with the "bikers and hippies" but they were all "very polite, surprisingly"). It was quite an event as they had not played in the UK for around 5 years, and there was a generation of fans like myself that had never had a chance to see them. The show was fantastic, needless to say, but the journey there was something in itself.

I walked to the bus stop in our village to catch the (only) morning bus to town. There was a guy in a black Zofo leather waiting, of course going to the show. At every stop at least one person got on who was going. By the time we arrived in Reading half the passengers were Zep fans. The trains to London were the same, but much more so. The tube (subway) to Kings Cross where the trains for Knebworth left were heaving with fans (many drunk and singing Stairway I recall), and there were special trains from there which were 100% denim and leather full. You didn't need directions from Knebworth station - you just followed the river of people. Coming from a small country village and a relatively sheltered upbringing made this all the more amazing for me.

When they played Stairway as the last song of the set before the encores, which to me at the time was still a pretty new song and definitely not over played, I was overcome with emotion. (The non-stop day of drinking and smokin' was probably a contributing factor here). A little embarrassed I sneaked a look around only to find that every one I could see had tears in their eyes too. Kind of surreal considering the leather/denim/beards/long hair and "aggressive" appearance of the crowd.

I still consider it to be one of the best days of my life, and always get goosebumps when I hear the intro to STH.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained as stupidity"

Rush in San Antonio at the Alamodome in 1996, on the Test For Echo tour.

This was the first tour Rush played without an opening act, and they must've played for three hours or so. It was also the first big arena concert I ever saw, not some chintzy local festival or rodeo appearance. And it was the first time I took a road trip without my parents -- we lived in Corpus Christi at the time -- it was just me and my drummer.

We had seats way back in the nosebleeds but we could see all the way to the stage with no problems. There was a couple in front of us who was sweet enough to lend my drummer their binoculars during Neil Peart's drum solo. The band played my favorites: Limelight, Animate, Dreamline, the entirety of 2112... that was the last tour they did Closer To The Heart, as well.

We were absolutely energized on the drive home, and we were hoarse the next day from cheering so much. I remember hearing how Neil Peart's wife and daughter both died the next year, and thinking how impossible it would be to go through that. I considered myself lucky for having seen them on what I assumed would be their last tour.

Of course, after he remarried and Rush came back years later with Vapor Trails, I drove out to Houston and San Antonio to see them. And my wife and I had 8th row tickets at a rare Austin show this past summer, and that gave that first show a run for its money.

But back when I was 19, being so far away from home, just me and a friend, watching our favorite band nail the songs we loved, all for the first time... that's a feeling I never want to forget.

Seeing the Rolling Stones in a club called Toad's Place in New Haven CT on the Steel Wheels Tour - it was in August 1989.

They played about an hour and there were less than 1000 people there.

It was awesome!
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

I saw Carlos Santana in 78? 79? (can't quite remember) at the Denver Coliseum-- it was meant to be at the Red Rocks Amphitheater, but it was rained out. Anyway, the crowd was pressed up against the stage, and I was dead center, about 3 rows back. Great view.

At some point, these two guys in front of me begin to fight, and really start pounding on each other. In the middle of a guitar solo, Carlos walked to the front of the stage, looked down at them, closed his eyes, and shook his head as if to say, "No." All without missing a note.

The two guys looked back up at Carlos, and got kind of embarrassed, then quite fighting. I eventually saw them shake hands. I remember thinking to myself, "This ain't Altamont..."
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

Ok, this gets funnier. I have told several friends locally how stoked I am about this cd of the Hendrix concert. As it turns out, I KNOW the guy who made it. We live in same neighbourhood and although we never really hung out together, we have known each other for years. He was into audio as teenager when I was into guitar, and he worked for the guys who did sound for the show. He brought a small Uher machine to the concert and taped it.

There is a wierd irony here. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    Ok, this gets funnier. I have told several friends locally how stoked I am about this cd of the Hendrix concert. As it turns out, I KNOW the guy who made it. We live in same neighbourhood and although we never really hung out together, we have known each other for years. He was into audio as teenager when I was into guitar, and he worked for the guys who did sound for the show. He brought a small Uher machine to the concert and taped it.

There is a wierd irony here. Or something.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=456N3N2EasA

Very cool stories!

Rush...Roll the Bones tour. Hands down!

Bo Diddley, BB King, Judas Priest for close seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
    Rush...Roll the Bones tour. Hands down!
    Oh, I wish I had seen that one. Didn't Eric Johnson open for them on that tour?

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    Oh, I wish I had seen that one. Didn't Eric Johnson open for them on that tour?
    That would have been great!
    It was Primus...who I skipped.

That would have been great!
    It was Primus...who I skipped.
    really? I would have wanted to see primus =/

oh well, to each his own.

Forum Member

Saw Joe Walsh, Marshall Tucker and introducing Lynyrd Skynyrd in the Houston Colliseum 1974. They stole the show!
    Fender Am Deluxe Ash Strat
    Dean Acoustic/Electric
    Peavey Windsor half-stack
    Peavey Audition practice amp

Forum Member

At the point of seeing this show I had been to tons of shows to see some great bands, but this night took me back in time to the roots of rock & roll.

Chuck Berry at the Keystone Berkeley, around 1983 (ish).

The Keystone was a very small club close to the UC Berkeley campus. The place was packed and Chuck shows up in a cab with his guitar. The union guys that had been hired for his band were all pretty young. A few times during the show Chuck reached over and hit the drummers cymbal trying to get him to kick it up a bit more.

As the show went on the crowd really got into it, Chuck invited a bunch of students up on stage and they were twisting and dancing like crazy. There was a steel support beam off center on the stage that Chuck just leaned on and kept playing as he watched the kids. It seemed he was really enjoying it.

Next thing you know people are on all of the chairs and some of the larger tables and of course the bar, twisting and just going off.

Chuck tries to close with "reelin' rockin' rollin' till the break of dawn" song (real name?) "looked at my watch and it was..." he kept saying he had to go and everyone would scream "NO!!!" so he'd keep going.

I had visions of a film I saw of Jerry Lee lighting a piano on fire or cutting it up or something. The kids in that film lost it and rushed the stage. Tore it to shreds.

The crowd at the Keystone had so much fun, it was just let loose, unbridled rock & roll fun.

Anyway, your Hendrix story rules. Excellent.

-HR

Bo Diddley didn't do all that..but it was a rock 'n roll show!

That Chuck Berry experience is priceless!

That Chuck Berry experience is priceless!
    Especially with all the CB horror stories out there.

You lucky b@$%@rd.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

It was my first concert, Led Zeppelin in Chicago I think in about 1977. After about an hour of playing, Jimmy ended a song sitting down on the drum platform and didn't move. The rest of the band went over to him knowing something was wrong. I remember the lights being turned off as the crowd was in disbelief. I saw shadows of Jimmy being led off stage and after about 15 minutes an announcement said the show was cancelled. The crowd was pretty angry! We got a rain check but the next scheduled date came and Robert Plant's son died so that was cancelled. I think I was at the last Chicago show they ever played with the whole original band (correct me if I'm wrong).

If I may add another, for my birthday my wife got me backstage at the Grand Ole Opry to see one of my favorite bands of all time Del McCoury. I ended up hanging out with them for about 20 minutes and seeing the show from backstage (not the best view but incredible experienced surrounded by Opry greats Porter, Little Jimmy and others).

Lastly (I'm breaking the rules here but..) another Doc W was one of my other all time favorites - Doc Watson. another must see before it is too late. Youtube all these guys if you haven't heard of them.

One of the first concerts I ever attended-77 or 78--Bob Dylan.

Yup, I saw Doc Watson at a little club by the airport in Rochester NY.
    Good show!

(This old rocker has seen, and enjoyed, a lot of different people).

Forum Member

This is an AWE-SOME thread!

Forum Member

There are way too many, but here goes;

Steve Morse Band around 1988 at Musician's Exchange in Ft. Lauderdale. This is the first time I heard absolutely extraordinary solos performed note-for-note live at the same level of clarity as the studio version. Every other band I had heard dumbed down the tough riffs or just missed them. A small venue, maybe 600 seats. We had tickets for the early show but stayed for both shows. The second show's set list was about 50% different than the first show. Jaw dropping.

Dimeola, DeLucia, McLaughlin -- 1980, Gusman Hall, Miami. Words cannot describe so I won't try.

Santana around 1978. The high notes just went right through you! I was sitting pretty far back but in the center at Music Hall in Cleveland. I've seen Santana twice since then without the same effect -- once outdoors at Jazzfest (Mudfest), New Orleans in the early 90's and in Tampa at the hockey arena where we sat high and to the side (the sound was awful!!).

Michael Hedges at Finney Chapel, Oberlin College, Cleveland -- probably 1989. Just seeing a pioneer of his stature was amazing.

Roy Buchanan, Agora, Cleveland 1979. Nice small venue, great show by a master guitarist.

Allman Brothers, Live Oak, FL, 2007. Two 2+ hours shows on consecutive days and not one song played twice (and they left out a few). Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks, does it get any better??

Nickel Creek, Wings&Strings, Polk County, FL ~1999, maybe 2000. Never heard of them, got the heads up from another performer. Their first “real” CD had yet to be released. These people were just kids, 16-17-18 years old and I couldn't (and still can't) believe the virtuosity of these young people, especially Chris Thiele. He still blows me away.

Deep Purple, 6 or 8 years ago, HOB Orlando. Steve Morse breaks his left wrist skateboarding with his son (no, no son, do it like this....crash!). He takes his guitar to the doctor so the cast can be created while his hand is in the playing position. Grinds the corner of the neck plate off for clearance (three screws are plenty). Two weeks later they play Montreux and I see them just after that. He was slowed a little but mostly going up and down the neck. The fingers were working just fine. I did see some painful expressions but he got through the show very well. Amazing!

John Jorgenson Quintet, 2008, Bamboo Room, Lake Worth, FL. Gypsy jazz live, played by a true master with a great personality on stage and off, front row seats. I thought my face was going to freeze in a permanent smile.

And this is a weird one -- Monte Montgomery playing with The Rock Bottom Reminders (Dave Barry and a bunch of other authors, no real musicians), Miami, 2007. The thing about this was it showcased his incredible guitar sound because the other "players" had very little. It was like you were somehow INSIDE his guitar, the sound was all around you. I've seen Monte a few times but this setting made it a very different experience. That and the kazoos the band insisted on playing while Monte tried to hide behind the amps.

Sorry for being so long winded...........Bill

Forum Member

I keep checking in on this thread to see some other good stories.

Made me think of another real cool one.

The Pretenders at the Fox Warfield in SF, CA.

The original lead guitarist was still with them before he succumbed to a drug overdose.

Well the Fox is a plush place and the ushers all had a stick up their butts and would not let anyone out of their seats.

The place was subdued, and everyone felt it, especially the band.
    Chrissie was making faces and throwing tambourines into the crowd.
    The drummer was bouncing sticks off his drums into the crowd.
    During a song called space invaders where there's a break in the song, she stopped the band and yelled at the ushers, "LET THE KIDS DANCE GOD DAMMIT!!!" and everyone jumped up, my friend Dennis and I stood up and stepped into the isle and a wave of Japanese high school or college girls shoved us directly against the stage, they were going out of their heads having a blast. We ended up directly under Chrissie Hynde, like 3 feet away.

Now my friend and I are both about 6'-4" and I'd say the average height of all these young girls was about 5 feet. They crushed us against the stage, but not too much ;-)

That one moment when Chrissie Hynde yelled at the ushers and everything broke loose was so cool. Total rock and roll moment.
    Obviously that set the tone for the rest of the show and they rocked.

Man I loved going to small rock shows.

Another one that keeps coming to mind is the week they closed Winterland. Perhaps we can get back to that one at another time.

- HR
    Last edited by HotRod; 12-02-2008 at 06:27 AM.

Fresh out of high school I saw Led Zeppelin 1974 here in Perth at Subiaco Oval awesome, I think my ears are still ringing from that one.

The same year I also saw Elton John (when he was good), Santana and Deep Purple. Them's was the good ol' days when a concert ticket cost you the same as an LP record.

Best 80's band live that I saw was Simple Minds by a loooooong way.

Best Australian Band I have ever seen was Midnight Oil, with Cold Chisel a very close second.

And my Weirdest Musician Award that I have ever met goes to, Joe Walsh when he came to Australia to play in a band called the Party Boys, he was so stoned out of his head he didn't have a clue which country he was in.
    Last edited by Nairbr; 12-02-2008 at 04:59 AM.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Gosh, I've been lucky to have quite a few 'WOW' moments. I thought the first concert I ever saw was good - John Fogarty & co., a veritable one man band. But then they just kept one upping each other. Zep was a big disappointment - maybe the expectations were too high or maybe they just had a very bad night. Next up, no expectations first time I saw Tull and was blown away with both the 'tightness' and the showmanship. Peter Townsend upped that with his showmanship and his wall of sound tone backed up by Moony's unique drumming style. Probably most transcendental show was a 'Weather Report' concert w/ Shorter, Pastorius, McLaughlin, Zawinal (sp?), et al. That one was the first to show me the only boundaries are in your head. Since then it seems like all the best shows I've seen have been jazz guys too. Saw Dizzie, Willie Ruff and Billy Mitchell go way off the page once - incredible... :-)

Absolute best show I have ever seen was Robert Cray at the Orange Peel in Asheville, NC. I was literally standing at his feet, just under his mic stand. I could hear the tone coming directly from his amps. It was unreal. The man has tree trunk arms and such a cool touch on his playing. While I was there I met this woman who was the booking agent for Mac Arnold (bassist with Muddy Waters at one time). She had a bunch of cool stories and gave me her card to keep in touch. I never did, isn't that always the way it goes. It was a surreal night, to be sure.

Another good show was Jimmie Vaughan and the Thunderbirds with Double Trouble feat. Kenny Wayne Shepherd. It was a magical night. I have seen KWS with Double Trouble again since that, even got to meet Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton (oh, and KWS too). The second show was good (even though I was front row right next to a main. I seriously still have right ear hearing loss from that night), but that night with the T-bird and JV was amazing. Not just the SRV stuff, but just the good blues stuff that was coming out that night was amazing.

I have had a chance to see BB King 3 times and every time something happens and I don't get to go. I still have to see Buddy Guy some day.

I never got to see them, but just from watching the PULSE DVD, I am would have traded a few body parts to see Pink Floyd or David Gilmour in concert.

Locally, there is a band called Villanova that blows me away. I am not a big fan of their genre (kind of a 311 thing, which is cool, but eh.) but their performance is absolutely amazing. They put on the best true performance of any band I have ever seen, anywhere, ever. They really set my bar for stage presence pretty high.
    "What would rock and roll be without feedback?" - David Gilmour

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." - Richard Ashcroft

Forum Member

Some shows are better than others, something I need to be reminded of once in a while. Jimmy Vaughan, Buddy Guy, BB King. Three artists I've seen but probably wouldn't go out of my way to see again.

Jimmy V's band put on a good show, really good actually at Janus Landing in St. Petersburg, FL. But his playing was not good and I was disappointed. He was blowing some fairly easy riffs and not even trying to play others. It took a lot away from the show for me. Probably just a bad night but I haven't seen him since that show. The group of friends I was with thought the show was great. Maybe I tend to listen too much to the guitarist....

Buddy Guy, Jazzfest, 2003?. He comes out, plays a few songs but is clearly not into it. He brings out some guests and does vocals and finally just hands his guitar to someone and walks off in the middle of the set. He came back to play the last song or two and sang most of them during the set but I wanted to hear him play. Not good, not professional.

BB King also at Jazzfest, 2005. Mostly talked and gave the band a hard time for being young. Again, I wanted to hear him play. I guess I should have caught him 10 or 15 years ago....

I saw Pink Floyd for their DSotM tour. We had been listening to their stuff for several years and were a little disappointed that the new album took up the majority of the show. They played a few older ones but not enough for our wishes. I wish I could have seen them again about ten years later when they had more material.

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamrose View Post
    I saw Pink Floyd for their DSotM tour. We had been listening to their stuff for several years and were a little disappointed that the new album took up the majority of the show. They played a few older ones but not enough for our wishes. I wish I could have seen them again about ten years later when they had more material.
    From the videos I have seen on You Tube and what not seeing Floyd in the early to mid 70s probably would be hit or miss. I have heard some brilliant stuff (Pompeii) and some dreadful stuff (out of tune and un-enthused singing in some of the bootlegs I have heard). Most of the concert footage I have seen of them includes overdubs done in post-production (Live at Pompeii) and the highly polished sound of the Division Bell tour in 94 (that I would have loved to have seen). But regardless, I would give anything to have seen them perform Careful with that Axe, Set the Controls or Echoes around 70-72.
    "What would rock and roll be without feedback?" - David Gilmour

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." - Richard Ashcroft

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by guitars247 View Post
    But regardless, I would give anything to have seen them perform Careful with that Axe, Set the Controls or Echoes around 70-72.
    Exactly. I don't remember what older songs they played but the selection was limited. They probably didn't play any of that stuff ten years on.......Bill

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Quote Originally Posted by guitars247 View Post
    Absolute best show I have ever seen was Robert Cray at the Orange Peel in Asheville, NC. I was literally standing at his feet, just under his mic stand. I could hear the tone coming directly from his amps. It was unreal.
    Was he playing thru an old brown Magnatone amp...?