Thread: Tele List - all the USA Production Models I remember

Forum Member

Tele List - all the USA Production Models I remember

I recently posted some historical info about some Tele models on another thread and mentioned I had tried to compile a list of all USA production model Teles (and Strats) that I could think of or remember. A few people wanted to see the list, so here goes; it will probably take a few posts to list them all.

A few ground rules:

1. These are only USA production models; there are far too many models from the US Custom Shop, Japan, Mexico, Korea or any other country where Fender outsources production.

2. I considered it a "new model" when Fender revised the guitar enough to give it a new part number - for example, there are multiple version of the American Deluxe Tele, etc.

3. There are plenty of other sources that detail the changes the basic Tele went through after it changed from the Broadcaster until the "basic Tele" was replaced by the "Standard Tele" in 1983; I consider this to be a single model in the list.

4. I excluded Esquires as a separate model.

Most importantly, this is just my research/memory compiled over a few years; please feel free to add things wherever needed.

1. Broadcaster/”Nocaster” (1951-1952) – The original model. Ash body, one-piece maple neck, 1 5/8” wide at the nut with 21 small frets and 7 ¼” radius fingerboard. Finished in transparent “butterscotch” finish with black bakelite pickguard. Rolled steel bridge with 3 saddles (each holding two strings) and the bridge pickup attached to the bridge, a small chrome-covered neck pickup, a rounded-end rectangular control plate that held the wiring., slot head Kluson Deluxe tuners. Controls are volume, blend control to mix the two pickups, and a 3-way blade switch giving you the bridge pickup with the blender control, the neck pickup, and the neck pickup with a capacitor circuit that rolls off the treble to provide a bass tone. Gretsch sued Fender over the use of the name “Broadcaster” claiming they owned the name (spelled “Broadkaster”) for musical instruments, in this case drum sets so the thrifty Leo Fender simply cut the “Broadcaster” part off of the headstock decals while a new name was developed. Tweed thermometer case.

2. Telecaster (1952-1982) – The final name for the original model. Key specification change from Broadcaster/Nocaster was the replacement of the blend control with a tone control for position 1 (bridge pickup) and position 2 (neck pickup). Position 3 remained the neck pickup with the bass capacitor. Many iterations and modifications through the years, but in continuous production from 1952. The body wood, neck shape, fingerboard, and construction would evolve almost annually. The other key specification change occurred in 1966 with the advent of “modern wiring” – position 1 remained the bridge pickup, position 2 became both pickups wired in parallel, and position 3 became the neck pickup, with a master tone control for all 3 positions. Additionally, the basic Telecaster never used the micro-tilt neck adjustment and bullet truss rod adjuster of other Fender models in the 1970s. Many cases were offered , starting with a tweed thermometer case, then a tweed rectangular case, then pinkish-brown tolex, then blonde tolex, then black tolex circa and finally black molded plastic (although both the plastic and black tolex were used in 1980-1982)

3. Custom Telecaster (1959-1970) – A “dressier” version of the Telecaster that appeared about the time Fender switched to rosewood fingerboards. The Custom Telecaster was standard in the Stratocaster’s 3-color burst finish and featured binding on the top and back of the body. First used a pinkish-brown tolex case, then a black tolex case.

4. Telecaster Thinline (version 1 1968-1972) – Essentially the standard Telecaster features with a mahogany body with a tone chamber and a single f-hole. Additional features included a pearloid pickguard that left room for the f-hole and extended to the rear of the body on the control side that included the controls. Black tolex case.

5. Telecaster Custom (1972-1982) – A new Telecaster model for the 1970s. The new Telecaster Custom featured a Fender Wide Range humbucker in the neck position, the traditional Telecaster box bridge/single coil pickup in the bridge position, and a new control layout. A large black 3-ply pickguard covered the face of the guitar, and held a Les Paul-style 3-way toggle switch in the upper bought and contained Les Paul-style separate volume/tone controls near the back of the guitar. Maple or rosewood fingerboard available, micro-tilt 3-bolt neck and bullet truss rod adjuster. Black tolex case.

6. Telecaster Thinline (version 2 1972-1982) – Updated version of the Tele Thinline. Now features an ash body with the tone chamber and single f-hole; pickups changed to two Fender Wide-Range humbuckers and bridge changed to Strat hard-tail type. Slightly larger pearloid pickguard that left room for the f-hole and extended to the rear of the body on the control side that included the controls. Now features the micro-tilt neck adjustment and bullet truss rod adjuster. Black tolex case.

7. Telecaster Deluxe (1972-1982) – The other new Telecaster model for the 1970s. The new Telecaster Deluxe featured Fender Wide Range humbuckers in the neck position and bridge positions and either a Strat hard-tail bridge or a Strat tremolo bridge. Same pickguard layout and controls as the Tele Custom. Maple or rosewood fingerboard available, micro-tilt 3-bolt neck and bullet truss rod adjuster, and large Strat-type headstock. Black tolex case.

8. Black/Gold Telecaster (1981-1982) - a variation of the "regular" late 70s-early 80s Tele with heavy gold-plated brass hardware and available in black finish only - similar to the heavy hardware used on "The Strat". Black tolex or molded case.
    Last edited by John C; 10-12-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Forum Member

Re: Tele List - all the USA Production Models I remember

Part 2 of the list:

9. American Vintage ’52 Telecaster (version 1 1982-1985, 1985-1998) – Recreation of the original 50s Telecaster. Returned to nitro lacquer finish, butterscotch finish, single-ply black pickguard, pickups wound like originals, vintage Tele wiring of 3-way switching for bridge with tone control, neck with tone control, or neck with bass capacitor no tone control (with modern wiring kit and 6-saddle box bridge in the case), one-piece maple neck in early-50s style “U” shape. Tweed case. Produced in Fullerton by CBS-Fender 1982-early 1985, then in Corona by FMIC from October 1985-1998.

10. Standard Telecaster (1983-1985) – Revised Telecaster with new features like the Stratocasters all prior models discontinued (except the American Vintage Series). New neck shape (1.700”wide, flatter 12” radius, truss rod adjuster at headstock), traditional Tele headstock, 4-bolt neck with micro-tilt, 2 hotter pickups, new top-loading flat-plate bridge with cast saddles, sealed Schaller tuners, modern Tele wiring (master volume, master tone, 3-way switching). Plastic molded case.

11. Elite Telecaster (1983-1985) – Upgraded Telecaster model that echoed the old Telecaster Deluxe model. Rear-routed body with two all-new humbucker pickups without exposed polepieces. New control layout with Les Paul style 3-way toggle switch in the upper bought, individual volume controls for each pickup, 12-db active mid-boost, and master TBX tone control (two pots in one that rolls off highs or lows). New knobs with rubber inserts, sealed Schaller tuners, and top-loading hardtail bridge (essentially a hard-tail version of the FreeFlyte). Same neck shape as Standard Stratocaster but with Bi-Flex truss rod. Brown plastic flight case.

12. Gold Elite Telecaster (1983-1985) – The Elite Telecaster with gold hardware and special finishes. The Schaller tuners have pearloid buttons instead of chrome metal. All other features the same as the Elite Stratocaster, including the brown plastic flight case.

13. Walnut Elite Telecaster (1983-1985) – The Gold Elite Telecaster with natural finish walnut body and neck with an ebony fingerboard. All other features the same as the Gold Elite Stratocaster, including the brown plastic flight case.

14. American Standard Telecaster (version 1 1986-2000) – All-new USA Tele designed by FMIC with different features than the CBS “modern” Teles. The American Standard would retain some features like sealed Schaller tuners, Bi-Flex truss rod, and truss rod adjuster at the headstock. However, the neck was 1 11/16” wide and 9.5” radius with 22 medium-jumbo frets. The pickups were new, and the controls were revamped to be master volume and master TBX control. Traditional Tele-style small pickguard and metal control plate. A new bridge/plate was designed with a flat chrome-plated brass plate with anodized cast saddles. The neck had a satin finish available as either a maple one-piece neck or with a rosewood fingerboard, and the body was alder with new colors available. Schaller straplock strap buttons were standard (but the locking clips were not included). The pickups and controls were updated circa 1997 with the “Delta Tone” circuit – a “no-load” tone replaced the TBX (no load meaning the tone was bypassed if you click past “10”). Headstock logo was the same as the final CBS-era with “Fender” in silver outlined in black, the serial number below the logo, and the “Telecaster” in small caps like the vintage decals. Changed to a modernized spaghetti logo with the serial number and “Made in USA” moved to the back of the headstock circa 1997. Several cases were used starting with a rectangular black plastic molded case, followed by a “violin” style molded case with a metal “Fender” logo, and finally a violin-style case with “Fender” molded into the top.
    Last edited by John C; 10-12-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Forum Member

Sorry guys the board isn't letting me post any more parts right now; I'll try again a bit later. I'll open up a second thread if I have to.

Cool list Thanks!

Forum Member

Okay; I've tried everything - converting the Word document to rich text, html, any other format. After being able to post the first 14 entries now all I get is an error message about format, so it appears I won't be able to post any more of this short of retyping.

I'll see if I can figure anything out; otherwise this might become a lengthy process.

Forum Member

Thank you for that. I alwyas was looking for some compressed overview.
    Last edited by Frank_Heritage; 11-18-2008 at 03:24 AM.

Forum Member

Okay, evidently the Tele forum software doesn't like me; I've tried 4 different file formats, even retyping a section and it still won't let me post any more of my Tele list.

For those of you interested in Strats, I was able to easily post my entire (and almost twice as long) listing of USA Production Strat models on the Strat forum.

I'll try a couple of other things like converting the Word 2003 Windows XP file to a Word 2008 Mac file tonight and see if I can continue posting the Tele list.

TFF Stage Crew

John we generally find that there are certain punctuation marks that our software hates. The percent sign is one that's usually sure to cause a crash. There are others too that seem more random. We also find that copying & pasting any word processing document usually hangs the thread because of "hidden characters" that may be in the file.

Thanks for your work here though and I'm going to "sticky" this thread too for awhile.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    John we generally find that there are certain punctuation marks that our software hates. The percent sign is one that's usually sure to cause a crash. There are others too that seem more random. We also find that copying & pasting any word processing document usually hangs the thread because of "hidden characters" that may be in the file.

Thanks for your work here though and I'm going to "sticky" this thread too for awhile.
    Thanks for the tips; I've been through the Tele document and I'm not seeing anything different than the Strat document, which pasted in just fine.

What concerned me is I actually tried to retype just a single entry from the list directly into the board (no cut & paste) and it crashed as well.

Forum Member

List continuation - I'm retyping these as evidently there was something embedded in my document on one of these three postings:

15. Telecaster Plus (version 1 1990-1995) - an upgraded American Standard Tele with several additions. Pickups were noiseless Fender-Lace Sensor pickups using a blue label Lace in the neck position (50's PAF humbucker voice) and a dual red label Lace (hot Strat voice) in the bridge position. Since the dual Lace is essentially two single coil Laces in a humbucker ring, an additional control was added on the plate between the two knobs - a 3-way minitoggle to choose either the front, both, or rear Lace coil. Controls are a 3-way switch, master volume, master TBX tone control. The bridge is the hard-tail bridge also used on the American Standard Strat. Special transparent finishes with ash veneers available. Molded plastic case with metal Fender label.

16. Telecaster Plus Deluxe (1990-1995) - The Tele Plus with a tremolo bridge. All the same features as the Tele Plus but adds the Strat Plus tremolo, roller nut, satin finish Fender-Shaller locking tuners, and the Hipshot Tremsetter. Early versions used the Wilkinson roller nut (version 2) with dual rollers for all 6 strings. The Wilkinson was replaced by the LSR roller nut in late 1993. Same special finishes as the Tele Plus. Molded plastic case with metal Fender label.

17. James Burton Signature Telecaster (version 1 1990-2005) - A signature Tele for sideman to the stars James Burton. The Burton mixes the Tele shape with the pickups found on the Strat Plus Deluxe - Lace Sensors with a blue label (PAF voice) in the neck, silver label (Fat Strat) in the middle, and red label (Hot Strat) in the bridge. Poplar body rear routed so there is no pickguard, 21-fret U-shaped maple one-piece neck only, Shaller sealed tuners with pearloid buttons, Strat hard-tail bridge, standard Tele control plate with a 5-way Strat-style switch, master volume and master TBX tone control. Special paisley finishes - black with gold paisley, black with red paisley, and red with black paisley. The two black versions used gold hardware and the red version used black hardware. Tweed case.
    Last edited by John C; 10-12-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Forum Member

List Continuation:

18. Danny Gatton Signature Telecaster (1990-1999) – A signature Tele for Danny Gatton. Features a large early-50s style neck with an added 22nd fret (doesn’t have the normal shelf fingerboard). Zirconium side dot markers, modified bridge with custom saddles, Joe Barden rail-type pickups, special finishes. Tweed case. Production moved to Custom Shop circa 1999.

19. Albert Collins Signature Custom Telecaster (1990-1999) – A faithful reproduction of Albert’s modified Custom Tele. Features the thin natural finish, late-1960s style one-piece maple neck, body binding on the top/bottom, Duncan Seth Lover humbucker in the neck position, Fender Custom Tele pickup in the bridge position. Traditional box bridge with 6 saddles. Tweed case. Production moved to Custom Shop circa 1999.

20. Tele Plus (version 2 1996-1998) – A completely revised Tele Plus revamped to be more “Tele-like” than the rock-oriented original version. The new model now features gold-label Lace Sensors (with a vintage ‘50s voicing) in the “Nashville” configuration – a traditional Tele-sized neck pickup (with a chrome-plated plastic cover), a middle pickup is added (a Strat-sized Lace Sensor but with a chrome-plated cover) and a traditional Tele bridge pickup in the American Standard Tele plate/bridge – but with chrome saddles. Controls are now a 5-way switch like a Strat, master volume, and master TBX tone control. An added mini-toggle gives the neck/bridge pickup combo in positions 1 and 5. Body is now bound on top and features a Strat-style back bevel. Tweed center-pocket case.

21. 50th Anniversary of Fender American Standard Telecaster (1996) – Special edition American Standard to commemorate Fender’s 50th year in business. Features flamed maple veneer top, special 3-color burst finish, rosewood fingerboard only, and gold hardware. Black tolex case.

22. American Vintage ’52 Telecaster (version 2 1998 – 2012) – Updated and even more accurate recreation of the original 50s Telecaster. Nitro lacquer finish, black single ply pickguard, revised pickups wound more like originals, vintage 3-saddle box bridge, vintage controls and 3-way switching (with modern update info and 6-saddle bridge in the case). Tweed case.

23. 1998 Collector’s Edition Telecaster (1998) – Limited edition model following the 1997 Collector’s Edition Stratocaster. Similar to the American Vintage ’52 Telecaster, it features vintage styling from about 1955. Includes a v-shaped one-piece maple neck and fingerboard with abalone dot markers and an oval “1998” inlay at the 12th fret, ash body in 2-color sunburst, white pickguard, gold hardware, steel saddles and the pickups from the American Vintage ’52 Tele. Only 1, 998 made. Tweed case.

24. American Standard Telecaster Thinline (1998-2000) – A thinline version of the American Standard Telecaster. Much like the first version of the Thinline from the late 1960s, features a mahogany body with a sound chamber and f-hole in the upper half of the body. Pickups and bridge design the same as the American Standard Tele, but with an enlarged pickguard like the original 1960s Thinline. Molded plastic case.

26. American Deluxe Telecaster (version 1 1998-1999) – All new replacement for the Tele Plus based on the 1996-1998 “Nashville” version. New features include revised neck shape, available as maple one-piece or with rosewood fingerboard, rolled fingerboard edges, abalone dot inlays. All hardware now chrome, features staggered-height tuners and “Deluxe” bridge with chrome saddles. Chrome headstock decal. Parchment plastic hardware, “Vintage Noiseless” stacked Tele single-coils in the neck position, stacked Strat single-coil in the middle position, and a stacked Tele single coil in the bridge position. Modern controls (5-way switching, master volume, master tone) plus the added mini-toggle gives the neck/bridge pickup combo in positions 1 and 5. The body features binding on the top and a Strat-style back bevel. Alder body on opaque colors and 3-color burst, ash body on other transparent finishes. Black tolex case.

27. American Deluxe Power Telecaster (version 1 1998-1999) – All the features of the American Deluxe Telecaster with the addition of the Fishman Powerbridge active peizo bridge. Black tolex case.

28. American Deluxe Telecaster (version 2 1999-2003) – The “Nashville” configuration proved less popular so the middle pickup was removed (along with the ”expander” mini-toggle and 5-way switching) From early 1999 on the American Deluxe Tele features a Vintage Noiseless Tele pickup set (small chromed neck pickup and bridge pickup and modern controls with 3-way switch, master volume and master tone. All other features unchanged. Black tolex case until circa 2000, then molded plastic case.

29. American Deluxe Power Telecaster (version 2 1999-2002) – The American Deluxe Power Tele was also changed from “Nashville” configuration to “standard modern” configuration until discontinued. Black tolex case until circa 2000, then molded plastic case.
    Last edited by John C; 10-12-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Forum Member

List continuation:

30. American Vintage ’62 Custom Telecaster (2000 – 2012) – A USA-made recreation of the early-1960s double-bound Telecaster. Features a vintage “C” shaped maple neck with rosewood slab fingerboard, custom-wound vintage-style pickups, 3-ply mint green pickguard, vintage box bridge with steel saddles, and vintage Tele wiring of 3-way switching for bridge with tone control, neck with tone control, or neck with bass capacitor no tone control (with modern wiring kit and 6-saddle box bridge in the case). Brown tolex case.

31. American Series Telecaster (2000-2008) – Revision of the popular American Standard Telecaster. New features include a return to vintage-style body contours, modified neck shape with rolled fingerboard edges, new staggered-height tuners (eliminates one string tree), new pickups, and parchment plastic hardware (although some colors would use black or unique colors). Still features the Delta Tone system with the master volume and no-load master tone control. Originally had Schaller straplock buttons (but no clips); replaced by modernized non-locking buttons by 2004. Molded plastic case.

32. American Series Fat Telecaster (2000-2003) – “Hot rodded” American Series Telecaster that features a Fender DH-1 humbucker in the neck position. All other features and hardware same as American Series, including Delta Tone controls. Custom colors and pearl/shell pickguards. Molded plastic case.

33. American Series Double Fat Telecaster (2001-2003) – Another “hot rodded” American Series Tele that features two Fender DH-1 humbuckers in the neck and bridge position, no pickguard, and a hard-tail American Series Strat bridge. Features 5-way switch that taps the pickups in positions 2 and 4; all other features and hardware same as American Series. Custom colors. Molded plastic case.

34. American B-Bender Nashville Telecaster (2001 – present) – An American Series Tele with several modifications, primarily the installation of the Fender B-Bender. Also features the “Nashville” pickup configuration (American Series Tele neck pickup, American Series Strat middle pickup, and American Series Tele bridge pickup). Includes 5-way Strat-style switch instead of usual 3-way switch. Modern Delta Tone controls. Molded plastic case.

35. Highway 1 Telecaster (version 1 2002-2006) – A new mid-market Telecaster designed to fit in between the made in Mexico lines and the American Stratocaster, the Highway 1 Tele features a matte nitro finish body with either maple one-piece neck or rosewood fingerboard with 22-frets, satin finish, headstock truss rod adjuster, and single-action truss rod. Neck shape and carve similar to American Tele. Uses Ping sealed tuners like MIM Standard Tele, the 6-saddle version of the MIM vintage bridge like the Classic Series Teles. Alnico single coil pickups, modern controls (3-way switch, master volume, master tone). Gig bag.

36. American Series Ash Telecaster (2003-2007) – Special edition of the American Series Telecaster that mixes in some features of the American Vintage ’52 Telecaster. Ash body only available in vintage natural or 2-color sunburst. Special U-shaped one-piece maple neck with 1.650” nut width, 9.5” radius and medium jumbo frets. American Series hardware (staggered-height Schaller sealed tuners, flat brass bridge plate, cast saddles) but custom pickups more like the American Vintage ’52 pickups including the base plate on the bridge pickup. Molded plastic case.

37. Highway 1 Texas Telecaster (2003 – 2012) – A modified version of the Highway 1 Tele featuring a 21-fret, 12” radius one-piece maple neck (only) and vintage-style pickups. Modern controls with new Greasbucket tone control that rolls off highs without adding mids (3-way switch, master volume, master Greasebucket tone). Gig bag.

38. American Series Telecaster HS (2003-2006) – Revision of the American Fat Tele with new pickup and wiring. The neck DH-1 is replaced by a Fender Sidewinder pickup. Now utilizes the S-1 switching (a push-push switch inside the volume knob) to access 3 additional wiring/tone capacitor options; Delta Tone controls. All other features and hardware same as American Series including colors. Molded plastic case.

39. American Series Telecaster HH (2003-2006) – Revision of the American Double Fat Telecaster with new pickups and wiring. The pickups are now Fender Sidewinder and Cobra models. Now utilizes the S-1 switching to access 3 different coil split/wiring/tone capacitor options. Delta Tone controls (volume and no-load tone). All other features and hardware same as American Series including colors. Molded plastic case.
    Last edited by John C; 10-12-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Forum Member

List continuation:

40. American Deluxe Telecaster (version 3 2004 – 2009) – Major revision of the American Deluxe Telecaster with new pickups and wiring. Still features rolled fingerboard edges, choice of maple neck or rosewood fingerboard, abalone dot inlays, chrome stagger-height tuners and chrome Deluxe bridge, chrome headstock decal, and parchment pickup covers and knobs. Now features 2 “Samarium Cobalt Noiseless” or “SCN” pickups with S-1 switching for 3 additional wiring/tone capacitor positions. Delta Tone controls (volume and no-load master tone). Schaller straplock buttons and locking clips. Alder body only with rounded neck heel; custom colors with unique matching pickguards. Molded plastic case.

41. American Deluxe Ash Telecaster (2004 – 2009) – With the 2004 revision the American Deluxe Tele with an ash body becomes a separate model instead of an option based on color. All features the same as the 2004 American Deluxe Strat except for the ash body with traditional vintage shape (no binding, back contour, or rounded neck heel). Features unique transparent colors to show the ash grain with custom pickguards to match. Molded plastic case.

42. American Deluxe Telecaster FMT (2004-2006) – The FMT Tele uses a rear-routed body with a flamed maple bent top. Uses the 2 Fender DH-1 humbuckers with S-1 switching to access 3 additional wiring/coil split/tone capacitor options. However, this model uses a master volume and a master no-load tone. Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard only. Transparent and burst finishes. Dark brown tolex case.

43. American Deluxe Telecaster QMT (2004-2006) – All the features of the American Deluxe Stratocaster FMT but with a quilted maple top instead of a flamed maple top. Transparent and burst finishes. Dark brown tolex case.

44. James Burton Signature Telecaster (version 2 2006 – present) – Update of the James Burton Signature Tele. The pickups are now custom-wound rail-type pickups. Rear routed so no pickguard, 21-fret U-shaped maple one-piece neck only, Schaller sealed tuners with pearloid buttons, Strat hard-tail bridge, standard Tele control plate with 5-way Strat-style switch and custom wiring featuring the S-1 switch for 8 unique tone combinations, master volume, master tone control. Special hot rod flame/paisley finishes – black with blue paisley/flame and black with red paisley/flame with gold hardware; also available in Olympic White pearl with black hardware. Tweed case.

45. Highway 1 Telecaster (version 2 2006 – 2012) – Update of original Highway 1 Telecaster. Still features matte nitro finish body with either maple one-piece neck or rosewood fingerboard, 22 larger frets, satin finish. Now features 70’s-style logo. Ping sealed tuners. Upgraded pickups, “Greasebucket” tone circuit that only rolls off highs, not lows. Controls are volume and master Greasebucket tone. Gig bag.

46. 60th Anniversary of Fender American Telecaster (2006) – Special edition to commemorate Fender’s 60th year of business. All the features of the American Telecaster with these special items: rosewood fingerboard only, custom crimson-burst finish, American Vintage 62 Tele pickups, Delta Tone controls (volume and master no-load tone), diamond inlaid in the headstock inside the “60th Anniversary” logo. Special black tolex case with “60th Anniversary of Fender” logo embroidered on inside of case lid.
    Last edited by John C; 10-12-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Forum Member

List continuation:

47. G. E. Smith Signature Telecaster (2007 – present) – A new signature Telecaster for long-time Tele fan G.E. Smith. Based on the American Vintage ’52 Telecaster, the Smith Signature features an extra-deep U-shaped maple one-piece neck with inlays styled like classic Fender lap steel guitars. Features vintage Tele controls (3-way switch giving bridge with tone control, neck with tone control, and neck with bass capacitor, master volume). Features a “cut-off” vintage Tele bridge so the bridge pickup is mounted to the body instead of the bridge plate. Custom colors. Tweed case.

48. Vintage Hot Rod ’52 Telecaster (2007 – present) – New “hot rodded” version of the American Vintage ’52 Tele. The Hot Rod ’57 Strat features a thin skin nitro finish, one-piece maple U-shape neck with 9.5” radius, medium jumbo frets, and a satin finish on the back/gloss finish on the fingerboard. New pickup set of a Duncan mini-humbucker in the neck and a Fender Custom vintage tele bridge pickup. Ash body in butterscotch finish. Vintage bridge with compensated saddles and vintage tuners. Modern wiring (3-way, master volume, master tone). Tweed case.

49. American Standard Telecaster (version 2 2008 – 2012) – Major update to the American Telecaster with a return to the classic American Standard name. Many evolutionary revisions include a revised neck with a new carve, thinner poly finish with a new tint, satin finish on the back but gloss finish on the headstock and on the fingerboard portion of the one-piece maple neck (rosewood fingerboard models only have gloss on the headstock); rolled fingerboard edges and staggered-height tuners retained. Body revised with new thinner poly finish, and all new American Standards use the premium alder previously reserved for transparent finishes; vintage body contours retained. New flat-plate bridge with bent saddles (instead of cast saddles). Revised colors with parchment plastic hardware. The American Standard pickups have been revised and the bridge pickup now contains the base plate, Delta Tone controls (volume and master no-load tone). New SKB rectangular molded plastic case with TSA-approved locks.
    Last edited by John C; 10-12-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Forum Member

Just to close out my list, thanks to all those who posted and emailed about the problems I had uploading the bulk of the list from my original document. I believe there was some type of hidden character in a couple of the items so I retyped them. The rest of the list pasted in without problems.

Just like the Strat list, let's make this a living document. The posts are so long I can't edit them, but please post you additions, changes, etc. to this sticky thread to make this a useful resource for the community. Remember, I'm really more in-tune with Strats and I still ommitted some items about them; I'm looking for the true Tele fans to set me straight.

Also, please note I do have some changes to the dates on the end of the CBS era - I'm not sure when the CBS really shut down the Fullerton plant. It could have been as early as December 31, 1984 or as late as March 1985. Most sources I've read indicated that production continued on at least a limited basis until sometime in February 1985. Therefore I'm considering that production of the Standard Tele, Elite Tele, Gold Elite Tele, Walnut Elite Tele, and the AV '52 Tele to cease as of February 1985. FMIC bought Fender from CBS in April 1985, but didn't get the original Corona factory up and running until sometime during the Second or Third Quarter of 1986. I would consider USA production of the AV '52 Tele to re-start circa June/July 1986, with the first of the American Standard Teles circa October/November 1986 (with an official introduction at the NAMM show in January 1987).

Thanks for your interest.

John C.

Forum Member

What a cool list, thanks
    A couple details on #34 Am Ash. This is the 8502 model. Only colors available were Honey Blonde and 2-tone SB, no natural, also the saddles were chrome plated brass.

An interesting list and one that I can compare with my collection!

Is the entry for the Thinline Mk 1 missing? (1969 Thiline)

Also, there were a few notable limited production models in the late 60s:

1. Rosewood Telecaster
    2. Pink Paisley Telecaster
    3. Blue Floral Telecaster

Others that I know about (and/or own) and didn't see on the list:

1. 1981 Black and Gold Telecaster
    2. Telesonic
    3. 2006 FSR Chambered Mahogany Tele ???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AjayTele View Post
    An interesting list and one that I can compare with my collection!

Is the entry for the Thinline Mk 1 missing? (1969 Thiline)

Also, there were a few notable limited production models in the late 60s:

1. Rosewood Telecaster
    2. Pink Paisley Telecaster
    3. Blue Floral Telecaster

Others that I know about (and/or own) and didn't see on the list:

1. 1981 Black and Gold Telecaster
    2. Telesonic
    3. 2006 FSR Chambered Mahogany Tele ???
    Ajay,

Thanks for the additions. In all honesty I didn't know if the Pink Paisley and Blue Floral were separate models or if they were just optional finishes back then. I also didn't realize that more than a couple Rosewoods were made (George Harrison's being the best known).

For the more recent ones, I simply made a "ground rule" not to include FSR models. I had never heard of the Black and Gold Tele - but it makes perfect sense since there was the Gold/Gold Strat from that same time frame.

Edited to add:

I actually made that list up over a year or so time frame in 2006-2007 and have only added the 2008 and 2009 new models. At the time I started the list I made the decision to exclude the Telesonic (and the corresponding Strat-O-Sonic models) from the list as they deviated too far from the "norm" - in hindsight I probably should have included these models on both the Tele and Strat lists.

Forum Member

Okay, I guess it's time to update the Tele list for 2010:

50. American Special Telecaster (2010 – present) – New mid-priced made in USA model similar to the Highway 1. Features a poly finish body in either Olympic White or 3-color sunburst with maple one-piece neck only, 22 frets, satin finish, 70’s-style logo. Ping sealed tuners. Texas Special pickups, “Greasebucket” tone circuit that only rolls off highs, not lows. Controls are volume and master Greasebucket tone. Gig bag.

51. American Deluxe Telecaster (version 4 2010 – present) – Major revision of the American Deluxe Telecaster with new pickups and wiring. Still features rolled fingerboard edges, choice of maple neck or rosewood fingerboard, chrome stagger-height locking tuners and chrome Deluxe bridge, chrome headstock decal, and parchment pickup covers and knobs. Now features 2 "N-3" noiseless pickups with S-1 switching for 3 additional wiring/tone capacitor positions. Delta Tone controls (volume and no-load master tone). Schaller straplock buttons and locking clips. Alder body only with rounded neck heel, bound top, and back bevel; custom colors with unique matching pickguards. New-style TSA-approved molded plastic case.

52. American Deluxe Ash Telecaster (version 2 2010 – present) – Major revision of the American Deluxe Ash Tele for 2010. All features the same as the 2010 American Deluxe Strat except for the ash body with traditional vintage shape (no binding, back contour, or rounded neck heel). Special U-shaped neck instead of regular C-shaped neck. Available in either butterscotch blonde or wine red transparent; black pickguard only. New style TSA-approved molded plastic case.
    Last edited by John C; 10-12-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Nice list. Thanks.

My one and only, bought used in '84, is a number 9. on your list. The neck date stamp is February 29, 1984. George Orwell's Leap Year Telecaster.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Forum Member

I've been away from this project for far too long; time to put in some updates. There have been lots of changes since my last update in 2010, plus I've been able to do more research on the transition time period between the end of CBS production and the start of FMIC production. Also evidently I now have a fast enough connection that I can go in and edit the earlier posts; I've done some "cleaning up" on the production dates of some of the earlier models.

From more research over the past 4 years I have a timeline for 1985 that I believe is pretty accurate, so here goes:

January 1985: CBS/Fender brings back a skeleton crew to assemble guitars from parts produced in 1984. They do not mill bodies and necks, they do minimal painting and minimal pickup wiring - it's mostly assembly as CBS is putting the company up for sale, and the crew is laid off before the end of January.

Early February 1985: FMIC buys Fender from CBS, but as we all probably know they did not purchase the factory in Fullerton, just the name, designs, parts inventory, etc.

Late February - March 1985: FMIC brings back the skeleton crew to continue assembling guitars from the existing parts. Once they reach the point where no more complete guitars can be produced, the skeleton crew is again laid off. The guitars completed in this brief time frame could be reissues, Standards or Elites.

April - October 1985: FMIC secures their new facility in Corona; they do wind up purchasing some equipment from CBS and moving it to this facility. They begin test production during this time frame but the only Fenders in production are the MIJ models.

October 1985 - October 1986: FMIC begins limited production of USA Reissue models in Corona. Initially production is very small - in October 1985 production is as low as 7 instruments per day. Per George Blanda they went from 7 per day in October 1985 to 150 per day by March 1987.

October 1986: Earliest know production dates for American Standard instruments. Although not officially released until January 1987 they were at least producing them for the warehouse.

I hope this provides some clarity to one of the more confusing times in the modern era of Fender.

Forum Member

In doing my research it appears I omitted a model from the late 1990s - there was a "fat Tele" with a neck humbucker during the run of the American Standards. Here it is - it would slot in at #25:

25. American Standard Hot Rod Telecaster (1998-2000) – An American Standard Tele with a Fender DH-1 humbucker in place of the neck pickup. All other features the same as the American Standard Tele. Molded plastic case.

I also added the Black/Gold Tele; it slots in at #8.
    Last edited by John C; 10-12-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Forum Member

Now on to the models introduced in 2011. First there were some new additions to American Vintage series (which would prove to be short-lived) plus there were the various "Tele-Bration" limited run models for the Tele's 60th Anniversary (I likely do not have the Tele-Bration instruments in the proper order and I'm not sure which were actually issued in 2012 so I'm calling them all 2011 models).

Here is the list:

53. American Vintage ’69 Telecaster Thinline (2011 – present) – A USA-made recreation of the Tele Thinline from 1969. Has a mahogany body with a tone chamber and a single f-hole. Additional features included a pearloid pickguard that left room for the f-hole and extended to the rear of the body on the control side that included the controls. Maple neck only, available in sunburst and white only. Black tolex case.

54. American Vintage ’72 Telecaster Custom (2011 – present) – A USA-made recreation of the Tele Custom that debuted in 1972. Features a Fender Wide Range humbucker in the neck position, the traditional Telecaster bridge/single coil pickup in the bridge position, the large black 3-ply pickguard, a 3-way toggle switch in the upper bought and separate volume/tone controls near the back of the guitar. Maple fingerboard only, sunburst or black only, micro-tilt 3-bolt neck and bullet truss rod adjuster. Black tolex case.

55. American Vintage ’72 Telecaster Thinline (2011 – present) – A USA-made recreation of the 1972 version of the Tele Thinline. Now features an ash body with the tone chamber and single f-hole; pickups changed to two Fender Wide-Range humbuckers and bridge changed to Strat hard-tail type. Slightly larger pearloid pickguard that left room for the f-hole and extended to the rear of the body on the control side that included the controls. Now features the 3-bolt, micro-tilt neck adjustment and bullet truss rod adjuster. Maple fingerboard only, available in natural or candy apple red only. Black tolex case.

56. 60th Anniversary Telecaster (2011) – A special edition of the American Standard Telecaster in honor of the Tele’s 60th year of production. The 60th Anniversary features a blonde finish only, maple fingerboard only, Thinskin nitro lacquer, and a special neck plate (that was also used on the Tele-Bration models and all American Standard and American Deluxe models built during the calendar year 2011). SKB molded case.

57. Tele-Bration Lamboo Wood Telecaster (2011) – One of 12 special models for the Tele’s 60th Anniversary. Alder body with Lamboo wood top and back. Shell binding top and bottom. Modern American Standard-style neck, maple fingerboard only, vintage bridge, hot Tele pickups, Greasebucket circuit. SKB molded case.

58. Tele-Bration ‘75 Telecaster (2011) – One of 12 special models for the Tele’s 60th Anniversary. Based on the ’72 Tele Custom model. Natural finish ash body with a Strat-style top contour. ’72-style American Vintage neck with maple fingerboard and bullet truss rod adjuster, black block inlays. Wide-range humbucker neck pickup, Tele bridge pickup, vintage Tele bridge, Jazz Bass style knobs, individual volumes and tones, 3-way toggle switch. Black tolex case.

59. Tele-Bration Carbonita Telecaster (2011) – One of 12 special models for the Tele’s 60th Anniversary. USA production model of the popular Custom Shop Carbonita guitars, features an Alder body, rear-routed T.V. Jones Filtertron pickups, 3 position blade switch, volume knob, American Standard neck, maple fingerboard only, black or sunburst only. Black tolex case.

60. Tele-Bration Old Growth Redwood Telecaster (2011) – One of 12 special models for the Tele’s 60th Anniversary. Natural finish aged redwood body. Vintage-style maple neck with a U shape and 9.5” radius. American Vintage ’62 Tele Custom pickups. Modern wiring with a no-load tone control. Vintage bridge. Brown tolex case.

61. Tele-Bration ‘62 Telecaster (2011) – One of 12 special models for the Tele’s 60th Anniversary. Based on the ’62 Tele Custom model. Alder body, Olympic white finish with black binding. Vintage ’62-style C neck with 7.25” radius neck, rosewood fingerboard, pearl block inlays. American Vintage ’62 Tele Custom pickups. Modern wiring. Vintage bridge. Black tolex case

62. Tele-Bration Vintage Hot Rod ’52 Telecaster (2011) – One of 12 special models for the Tele’s 60th Anniversary. Based on the regular Hot Rod ’52 Tele. Features a thin skin nitro finish, one-piece maple U-shape neck with 9.5” radius, medium jumbo frets, and a satin finish on the back/gloss finish on the fingerboard. the Tele-Bration version has a Duncan full-sized ’59 humbucker neck pickup and a Fender Custom vintage tele bridge pickup. Ash body in butterscotch finish. Vintage bridge with compensated saddles and vintage tuners. Modern wiring (3-way, master volume, master tone). Tweed case.

63. Tele-Bration Empress Telecaster (2011) – One of 12 special models for the Tele’s 60th Anniversary. Lightweight empress wood body in vintage white or honeyburst finish only. Modern American Standard-style neck, maple fingerboard only, vintage bridge, hot Tele pickups, Greasebucket circuit. SKB molded case.

64. Tele-Bration Mahogany Telecaster (2011) – One of 12 special models for the Tele’s 60th Anniversary. Mahogany body in vintage two-tone burst finish only. Modern American Standard-style neck, rosewood fingerboard only, hardtail Strat-style bridge with solid saddles, Enforcer humbucker bridge pickup, split-coil hum cancelling neck pickup, 3-way switch, no-load tone control, SKB molded case.

65. Tele-Bration Modern Thinline Telecaster (2011) – One of 12 special models for the Tele’s 60th Anniversary. Similar to the 1990s modern thinline Tele, but with 2008 American Standard specs, neck, and pickups. SKB molded case.

66. Tele-Bration Flametop Telecaster (2011) – One of 12 special models for the Tele’s 60th Anniversary. An American Standard Tele with a flamed maple top, sunburst only, maple neck only, gold hardware. SKB molded case.

67. Tele-Bration Indiana Barn ’52 Telecaster (2011) – One of 12 special models for the Tele’s 60th Anniversary. Based on the American Vintage ’52 Telecaster but with the body from pine wood salvaged from an old barn in Indiana. All other features match the AV ’52 Tele. Tweed case.

68. Tele-Bration Light Rosewood Telecaster (2011) – One of 12 special models for the Tele’s 60th Anniversary. Spruce body with rosewood top and bottom. Modern American Standard-style neck, rosewood fingerboard only, vintage bridge, hot Tele pickups, Greasebucket circuit. SKB molded case.
    Last edited by John C; 10-12-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Forum Member

To finish getting us caught up here are the 2012 additions - the Select Teles, revisions to the American Standard Tele and the new American Vintage series Teles. With the introduction of the new American Vintage series only the AV '52 was updated; theo other existing AV models were discontinued: the '62 Custom Tele, '69 Thinline, '72 Tele Custom, and '72 Thinline. Also the Highway 1 models were quietly dropped by Fender during 2011/2012 although some are still available for order.

Here are the 2012 models:

69. American Select Telecaster (2012 – present) – Similar to the American Deluxe, the Select line is a new upscale model. Features a figured maple top, chambered ash body, pearloid pickguard. Has the rounded neck heel and back contour, maple neck, chrome locking tuners and chrome Deluxe bridge. Compound radius neck (9.5" radius to 14" radius), 2 American Select single coil pickups. Schaller straplock buttons and locking clips. Tweed case with special American Select medallion.

70. American Select Carved Top Telecaster (2012 – present) –The carved top Tele a new upscale model. Features a carved figured maple top, empress wood body, no pickguard, recessed bridge and control plate. Maple neck, chrome locking tuners and chrome Deluxe bridge. Compound radius neck (9.5" radius to 14" radius), 2 American Select single coil pickups. Schaller straplock buttons and locking clips. Tweed case with special American Select medallion.

71. American Select Koa Carved Top Telecaster (2012 – present) –The carved top Tele a new upscale model. Features a carved figured koa, empress wood body, no pickguard, recessed bridge and control plate. Rosewood fingerboard, chrome locking tuners and chrome Deluxe bridge. Compound radius neck (9.5" radius to 14" radius), 2 American Select single coil pickups. Schaller straplock buttons and locking clips. Tweed case with special American Select medallion.

72. American Standard Telecaster (version 3 2012 – present) – Continued evolution of the version 2 American Standard with revised thinner finish, body carve on the back, aged white plastic parts and the addition of Fender Custom Shop Twisted Tele neck pickup and Broadcaster bridge pickup. All other features carry forward. SKB rectangular molded plastic case.

73. American Vintage 1952 Telecaster (2012 – present) – All-new American Vintage series guitars that are even more accurate recreations. The 1952 Telecaster features a new formula nitro lacquer that is not tinted to resemble an aged guitar, a larger, more accurate U shaped neck, maple fingerboard only, single-ply black pickguard, new 1952-spec pickups, more accurate replica tuners, vintage bridge with brass saddles, and headstock decal, butterscotch blonde finish only. Now with modern wiring (3-way switch wired so position 1 is the bridge pickup, position 2 is both pickups, and position 3 is the neck pickup, master volume and master tone control) from the factory with vintage wiring kit in the case, recreated 1952 manuals, revised and more accurate tweed case.

74. American Vintage 1958 Telecaster (2012 – present) – All-new American Vintage series guitars that are even more accurate recreations. The 1958 Telecaster features a new formula nitro lacquer that is not tinted to resemble an aged guitar, a medium-large D shaped neck, maple fingerboard only, single-ply white pickguard, new 1958-spec pickups, more accurate replica tuners, vintage bridge with steel saddles, and headstock decal. Now with modern wiring (3-way switch wired so position 1 is the bridge pickup, position 2 is both pickups, and position 3 is the neck pickup, master volume and master tone control) from the factory with vintage wiring kit in the case, recreated 1958 manuals, revised and more accurate brown tolex case.

75. American Vintage 1964 Telecaster (2012 – present) – All-new American Vintage series guitars that are even more accurate recreations. The 1964 Telecaster features a new formula nitro lacquer that is not tinted to resemble an aged guitar, a medium C shaped neck, round laminate rosewood fingerboard only with pearl dots, three-ply white pickguard, new 1964-spec pickups, more accurate replica tuners, vintage bridge with steel saddles, and headstock decal. Now with modern wiring (3-way switch wired so position 1 is the bridge pickup, position 2 is both pickups, and position 3 is the neck pickup, master volume and master tone control) from the factory with vintage wiring kit in the case, recreated 1964 manuals, revised and more accurate brown tolex case.
    Last edited by John C; 10-12-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Is the Tele List still being updated? I noticed this:

34. American B-Bender Nashville Telecaster (2001 – present) – An American Series Tele with several modifications, primarily the installation of the Fender B-Bender. Also features the “Nashville” pickup configuration (American Series Tele neck pickup, American Series Strat middle pickup, and American Series Tele bridge pickup). Includes 5-way Strat-style switch instead of usual 3-way switch. Modern Delta Tone controls. Molded plastic case.
    I'm not sure about those beginning in 2001. I have a 1998 American B-Bender Nashville Tele with all of the above appointments. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether it has the "Delta Tone Controls."