Thread: Looking at some gear

Looking at some gear

OK, so it looks like after the first of the year, the funds should be avail to do some major upgrades to my in-home studio. Here is what I have narrowed everything down to:

E-mu 0404 USB Interface - Since I am still using a laptop, a PCI card is a no-go for me. I want something portable and effective. The software suite alone that comes with it is enough to justify the cost. But the reviews I have read have good words to say about the mic pres, the low latency of the unit and the overall reliability and interfacibility (is that a word) with various programs. Downside is I have read horror stories on getting it to work with Vista and until I can get back on the Mac track, that is all I have. Any experiences pro or con on this device?

Line 6 Gearbox -
    Ahhhh, a simple plug and play guitar interface (gives me another DI option) and a whole host of Line 6 effects, cabs, amps, etc. Really liked what I have read on this one. Things like the obscure Binson Echorec delay system really caught my eye. Didnt see if it had a Leslie simulator, does anyone know? Any experiences with this unit.

Alesis Micron - I wanted a synth so I could diversify what I was able to record, especially if I decided to start doing freelance production work (so I could make my own music, screw buying someone else's). I have read nothing but overglowing positives on this little workhorse. Really versatile and packed with possibilities. Wondering if I can use this to create rhythm (drum) tracks for my songs. If not, I am considering also:

Yamaha DTXplorer electronic drum kit - Living in an apartment, an acoustic kit is out of the question. Plus, I like the portability aspect of it, the customization aspect of it and the reliability of it. Plus I am not going to have to buy a bunch of mics to mic it. I get a steady signal. I am going to have to pre-mix my drums, since the 0404 only has two inputs so that sucks until I can get a firewire/pci interface. But to get me going, this should do fine. Unless I can use a combination of midi and xlr ins on the 0404. Would that be possible, you think?

So, what does everyone think of my little shopping list. THe tax refund looks to be sizable and a couple of these are also on my Christmas list, so that will help.

ANy advice, suggstions, changes?
    "What would rock and roll be without feedback?" - David Gilmour

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." - Richard Ashcroft

Re: Looking at some gear

A good synth (sorry, I am not familiar with the micron), shoulld do as well or better than a stand alone electronic drum unit. That is, once you get used to tapping with your fingers.

I still have an old Ensoniq SD-1 32, touch sensitive keys...and the drums I get out of that are far more than satisfactory. I have to use compression to tame them a bit. Very dynamic!

If the Alesis is a true workstation, then you should have more than you need there.

Re: Looking at some gear

And...to add another post...don't skimp on the synth...and get a good mixing board. A non powered Mackie will serve just fine.
    Good sound monitors are a must.
    Spend the most you can on the PC (or Mac) and the software.
    I am using Sony Acid...it's ok, but others will have much better solutions there.

A midi interface with the synth can solve the DI issue. I use mixing boards to handle the chores to interface with the PC.