Thread: 68 RI voodoo pickups, who can tell me more

68 RI voodoo pickups, who can tell me more

what about these? they came stock on the reverse headstock voodoo strats in the late 90's

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Re: 68 RI voodoo pickups, who can tell me more

Put a set in an ash partscaster Strat a few years back. Wasn't playing in a band at the time so I switched em out for some warmer, more 3-D sounding PUs. However, probably wouldn't have swapped if I had been gigging. Excellent cut, very forward and in your face, sounded great cranked - only downside was a tad sterile at low volume. Bottom line is they're great if you're into playing loud. I mean they sounded goooood cranked.

Thanks for the info.
    We'll see, because the band I'm in always ends up cranked half way throught he first set.

I have a set of voodoo's on the way and will be putting them in a California Series Strat (which now has a set of Texas Specials that tend to get a little muddy onthe bottom end when cranked).

the never ending search.

what "transparent" 3D's did you put in?

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Quote Originally Posted by bluespower View Post
    what "transparent" 3D's did you put in?
    Chu talkin tu me?! Chu talikn tu me?! (spoken w/ Puerto Rican accent). Where did you get the 'transparent' quote from, LOL?

The 'warmer, more 3-D' PUs I swapped in were old Vanzandts - true vintage (6.03k) in neck, VP in mid (6.3k) and blues (7.0k) w/ underplate in bridge.

I don't know how they do it, but everyone of those lower output VZ pickups (say 6.0-6.4k) I've ever installed (of many) in the neck position has always been really, really clear and 3-D, yet never shrill or harsh on the top end. Put one 6.0-6.2 in the neck and it nails that Hendrix/SRV clean lead Strat tone, esp. on a rosewood board.

But, again, I'm telling you, those Fender Voodoo '68 Strat PUs were by far the best Fender PUs I ever used. Into a beefed up tweed Deluxe with Red Fang speaker they nailed the SRV loud clean-ish lead tone. Like I said befo, they were GREAT at volume and really hung in there with excellent cut and clarity when cranked. Just sounded a tad harsh at bedroom volume, but some of that may have been the Red Fang speaker I was using at the time. Those speakers are notoriously efficient, meaning oversensitive and 'scratchy' at bedroom volume, but they sing when played loud.

I would hang onto those '68 Voodoos regardless of whether you like them. They're kinda difficult to get... ;-)

the voodoos are installed, and they do sound great.
    a little raw, but the tone controls on the guitar and amp more than take care of that problem. It's very nice to have the clarity! I think I'll keep them (for a while anyway)!

Also I'm going to look into the Vanz' true vintage. I was thinking transparent from another thread and mistakenly used it here.

thanks for the input.
    Last edited by bluespower; 11-15-2008 at 11:10 AM.